#81 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:58 PM

So did you need to buy those specific ssrs? Just curious.

#82 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:30 PM

No, just needed 2. 25A would have worked but the 40s are only a few bucks more. I'm running 4500w per vessel so should only be about 18A each.

#83 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:31 AM

4500W for a 3 gallon system??

#84 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:33 AM

4500W for a 3 gallon system??

He wants that boil to be fast!

I just bought a 4500 to replace my burned up 5500 for my 5g system.

#85 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:33 AM

9000W, actually.  :devil:

#86 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

9000W, actually.  :devil:

Is it purely for speed?  You will need to drop those way down to have a normal boil off.

#87 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

Is it purely for speed? You will need to drop those way down to have a normal boil off.

Right, dumping a lot of heat into the room after boil starts! Are both elements going into one kettle? How about one high wattage and one lower so you can just run the lower one once you are boiling?

#88 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:57 AM

The mash is direct heated.  4500W per vessel.  Each heater will be contorlled via PWM.

Theoretically, I could split the strike water between vessels to get a super fast heat up but I'm not sure if I will do that or not.

#89 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:16 AM

The mash is direct heated.  4500W per vessel.  Each heater will be contorlled via PWM.

Theoretically, I could split the strike water between vessels to get a super fast heat up but I'm not sure if I will do that or not.

even 4500W sounds like a lot for 3 gallons.  what percentage are you going to have to knock that down by to not be boiling super hard?

#90 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:07 AM

I don't know yet.  Pretty low, I assume.

#91 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:12 AM

I've always sorta dreamed about going electric and setting up the brewery in the basement with ventilation outside. But I just don't drink that much beer anymore. I could probably do 3 gallon batches on the stovetop and be happy. Full circle. We have an electric range, so would that count as going electric?

#92 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:14 AM

I've always sorta dreamed about going electric and setting up the brewery in the basement with ventilation outside. But I just don't drink that much beer anymore. I could probably do 3 gallon batches on the stovetop and be happy. Full circle. We have an electric range, so would that count as going electric?

I think that counts.  

#93 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:15 AM

sure!  if you have a hood that vents to the outdoors I think it would be fine.

#94 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:51 PM

Ok. I've been researching these newer mini breweries, and the Anvil 10.5 looks slick. I have a remodel of the laundry room planned for when our ancient cat passes. There's a side area (where there's currently the litter box and a utility sink) that would be perfect for a mini brewery. I could use the 220 line for the dryer though I'd want to get a GFCI outlet. There's a window so could just use that to ventilate steam.

Actually pretty excited about this. Could brew a lot more in the winter for sure.

#95 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:07 PM

Ok. I've been researching these newer mini breweries, and the Anvil 10.5 looks slick. I have a remodel of the laundry room planned for when our ancient cat passes. There's a side area (where there's currently the litter box and a utility sink) that would be perfect for a mini brewery. I could use the 220 line for the dryer though I'd want to get a GFCI outlet. There's a window so could just use that to ventilate steam.

Actually pretty excited about this. Could brew a lot more in the winter for sure.

can you stick a fan or something in the window?

#96 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

I can, the air also communicates with the rest of the basement and there is a door into a large garage as well to spread out any steam. It's so dry here generally I don't think the humidity will be an issue at all but I can put a fan in the window as needed.

Edited by porter, 10 July 2020 - 02:59 PM.

#97 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

Sounds perfect! These units have really changed brewing...in a good way.

#98 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:28 PM

Sounds perfect! These units have really changed brewing...in a good way.

The only thing bad is now I can't sell my ancient brew panel I have for sale.

#99 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

I'm actually interested in the smaller one, I just don't consume enough beer to justify making 5 gallons at a time any more.  I need to look into smaller than 5 gallon dispensing systems, maybe smaller kegs, maybe something like mini kegs. 

#100 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

I'm actually interested in the smaller one, I just don't consume enough beer to justify making 5 gallons at a time any more.  I need to look into smaller than 5 gallon dispensing systems, maybe smaller kegs, maybe something like mini kegs. 

:watching:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users