porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18998 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:14 PM

Merry Christmas! Happy Anniversary!

I think that's exactly what it is. Anniversary is later this month. 

#123 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:18 PM

:cabbagepatch:

#124 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

Maybe you drunk ordered it and don't remember.

#125 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:49 PM

One of the Anvil systems showed up on our doorstep this afternoon. Not sure if it was supposed to be a surprise or not...

I expect a full report by Monday.

Congrats on the new rig. I'm 99% sold on getting one myself. Just need to find time to brew so I can justify spending the money.

#126 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18998 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:45 PM

I think I'm waiting to receive it as a gift until later this month but I'll post a report when I brew with it.

#127 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:18 PM

Did you just pretend you didn't see it? That seems like it would be a big box to hide.

#128 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

Ok. I've been researching these newer mini breweries, and the Anvil 10.5 looks slick. I have a remodel of the laundry room planned for when our ancient cat passes. There's a side area (where there's currently the litter box and a utility sink) that would be perfect for a mini brewery. I could use the 220 line for the dryer though I'd want to get a GFCI outlet. There's a window so could just use that to ventilate steam.

Actually pretty excited about this. Could brew a lot more in the winter for sure.

I'm looking at those too.  Let us know how it work for you.  The Grainfather is a bit more that I want to spend.  Things have came a long way since '95 when I started. 

#129 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18998 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:21 AM

Did you just pretend you didn't see it? That seems like it would be a big box to hide.

It's sitting in our front office. I'm not in a big hurry for my next brew session, but uh, if it comes before our anniversary do I use that to brew or my old stuff? I'm off today, it would be hilarious if she came home and I'm brewing in front of the garage. I'm eager to try the equipment but really would want to get the power situation straightened out before using it - would imagine it takes forever to heat up with 110 volts.

#130 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

It's sitting in our front office. I'm not in a big hurry for my next brew session, but uh, if it comes before our anniversary do I use that to brew or my old stuff? I'm off today, it would be hilarious if she came home and I'm brewing in front of the garage. I'm eager to try the equipment but really would want to get the power situation straightened out before using it - would imagine it takes forever to heat up with 110 volts.

If you really want to know and get some idea on time to heat  send me a PM with and e-mail address.  I have a spreadsheet that calculates it all out.

#131 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18998 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:13 PM

If you really want to know and get some idea on time to heat  send me a PM with and e-mail address.  I have a spreadsheet that calculates it all out.

Is this specific to the Anvil systems or just general calculations? I have read some general thoughts on the times, such as here: https://www.brewhard...lfoundry105.htm

For 110 vs 220 volt, that site says 60 minutes vs. 36 minutes to heat to mash temps for a full 5 gallon batch. 42 vs. 24 minutes for heating runnings to a boil. The 220 volt saves 42 minutes per batch. That's pretty significant, but also the 110 volt times are better than I'd expect. That's honestly not much slower than my turkey fryer burner I currently use for 10 gallon brews. I haven't specifically timed it, but I think it's about 45 minutes to heat mash water and 30 minutes to boil.

When I brew, I get the water going first and then do cleaning and grain measuring and milling, so it's not really wasted time at all. So anyway, this would be slower than what I'm doing now, but maybe only by 25 minutes or so. 220 volt would save me about 15 minutes/brewday vs. what I do now. Also, the Foundry has a delay timer, so you could measure water the night before and have it ready to go whenever you want. So really, the 220 volts might only be saving me 18 minutes in practical terms vs the 110.  :scratch: 

Edited by porter, 10 August 2020 - 12:22 PM.

#132 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:15 PM

I don't even like waiting for the water to heat up using 240v. I have a timer that starts heating my strike water about an hour before I wake up.

#133 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18998 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, that sounds nice. I like the idea of getting the grains and water ready the night before and just walking downstairs at 8 am and dumping the grains in. :)

#134 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:48 PM

What I have is not specific for the Anvil. Just calculations based on wattage, time and temp of starting water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users