#61 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:17 AM

yes, people put it in humidifiers for some odd reason. grocery store or CVS/Walgreens/etc.

Why is that odd? I had a humidifier that got really nasty with my tap water. Lastest humidifier has been going for years much better with distilled water. I also use it in my CPAP machine and my humidor. But I've never rinsed my pH meter with it haha.

#62 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:09 AM

Do you guys just rinse in tap water?

#63 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

Do you guys just rinse in tap water?

I rinse and store with storage solution.

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:59 AM

Huh. I have a soaking solution in here but no storage solution. Also there are 3 different pH calibration solutions.

#65 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

Actually I think that is a bad translation. The soaking solution is a storage solution but they only have me a little bit of it.

#66 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:18 AM

Actually I think that is a bad translation. The soaking solution is a storage solution but they only have me a little bit of it.

I never used the stuff they sent me.  I just bought bigger bottles from Amazon..

#67 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:25 AM

so the manual makes no statement about storing the probe in a solution.  it just says if it hasn't been used for over a month that I should soak it overnight in the 3M KCL storage/soaking solution.

For calibrating it says to rinse in distilled water and then fill the calibration vials half way and then perform the calibration.

I probably only need to do a 2 point calibration right? 7 and then 4 which would cover the typical range we are dealing with.  Anything over 7 and something went horribly wrong :P

Also it sounds like I can use the liquid in the calibration vials 10 times before tossing it.  Is that what you guys do?

After calibration the manual instructs me to rinse in distilled water again.

When you guys take a measurement do you use the cap that is on the end of the probe or just some other container like a small glass or something?  I notice the cap has a fill line on it but that might just be for the storage/soaking solution.

#68 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:52 AM

I bought calibration (just 4 and 7) and storage solutions from Amazon by Atlas Scientific. I pour the calibration solution in a shot glass, just enough to submerge the probe. I toss it every time, hadn't thought of keeping it. I also check whatever I'm measuring in shot glasses. I keep the cap full of the storage solution and replace it every so often.

#69 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:37 AM

I bought calibration (just 4 and 7) and storage solutions from Amazon by Atlas Scientific. I pour the calibration solution in a shot glass, just enough to submerge the probe. I toss it every time, hadn't thought of keeping it. I also check whatever I'm measuring in shot glasses. I keep the cap full of the storage solution and replace it every so often.

I do the same.  I use some of the small medicine cups I get with kids medicine.  I use one for 4/7 and storage/cleaning solution.  I dump each after every use.  I have always been told a dry probe ( insert joke) is bad and you need to keep is wet in some liquid.

#70 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, weird that these guys aren't suggesting storing in a solution.

#71 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:49 AM

This kit came with cups with lids for the calibration solutions so I guess that is nice.

It seems like I should do some more research on if I should store it in solution or not. I'm not sure why this model would be very different than others but maybe...

#72 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:52 AM

I wold not leave the tip dry.  That is why there is the second little cover that fits on. So you can keep it wet with a small amount of liquid.  When you got it and took that little cover off was it dry?

#73 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:53 AM

There is condensation in the cover.

#74 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

https://assets.omega...nuals/M0815.pdf

And then look under Q and A

https://www.omega.co...7000/p/PHH-7011

#75 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:53 AM

maybe these use a different type of probe.  I know very little about this stuff.

https://support.aper...orage-solution-

Should I always keep my pH electrode soaked in storage solution? Print

Modified on: Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 2:48 PM

The only Apera pH electrodes that must be always stored in storage solutions and can be damaged if stored dry are the ones that use Polymer electrolytes, such as our probes for PH60SPH60S-ZLabSen 763 and LabSen 753. These Probes are made with a different type of material and over time will be damaged if stored dry.

For Apera's other regular glass bulb pH electrodes (like the ones for PH700PH60 and PH20), users can store the probe in the storage solution to keep its sensitivity, which is a highly recommended good practice. 

For our portable and benchtop pH meters, the pH electrodes come with a storage cap, which allows the electrode to be soaked in KCL solution all the time when not in use. However, even stored dry, our pH electrodes per se will NOT "die". They just lose a bit sensitivity and accuracy temporarily. Users can always “revive” the sensor by soaking it in the 3M KCL storage solutions (the longer the better). 

For pocket testers (e.g. PH20, PH60, SX610...), when not in use, users can just add a few drops of tap water in the probe cap to establish a humid atmosphere inside just so the sensitivity of the probe can be maintained. If the tester hasn't been used for a long time (>1 month), we recommend soaking the probe in the 3M KCL storage solution overnight to regain its sensitivity.

DO NOT soak or store any pH probes in purified water like distilled water, deionized water, or reverse osmosis water since it could cause damage to the pH electrode and the tester could give erratic readings. Rinsing the probes in purified water is a good practice. Just don't store them in purified water. If you accidentally store the probe in purified water, try storing the probe in 3M KCL storage solution for 48 hours and see if the tester can perform in a normal state.

Other brands' storage solutions are NOT RECOMMENDED for use with Apera's pH electrodes, since they may use different formulas and could cause damage to the products.

tl/dr: I don't HAVE to store it in storage solution but it's not a bad idea either!

#76 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:54 AM

My bad.  I thought you ended up getting the Dayton copy of the Omega so that is why I linked the Omega stuff.

#77 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:58 AM

No worries! I figured you were just showing me other manufactures suggestions. The apera brand storage solution is pretty much the same price as the atlas stuff so I'll just but thier stuff I guess.

I should probably figure out if I really need to use distilled water for rinsing. It seems like tap water would be fine if I was going to then put this thing into storage solution.

#78 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

No worries! I figured you were just showing me other manufactures suggestions. The apera brand storage solution is pretty much the same price as the atlas stuff so I'll just but thier stuff I guess.

I should probably figure out if I really need to use distilled water for rinsing. It seems like tap water would be fine if I was going to then put this thing into storage solution.

tap has both minerals and chlorine, personally, buying a .99 gallon jug of distilled is cheap insurance

#79 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:20 AM

tap has both minerals and chlorine, personally, buying a .99 gallon jug of distilled is cheap insurance

I guess I'm thinking I put this thing in wort so how bad could exposing it to tap water briefly be?
I agree on the cheap insurance though! I'll be picking some up assuming I can find it.

#80 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:06 AM

As a plus you could buy a few gallons and go 50% distilled on your next Pils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users