#81 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:07 AM

As a plus you could buy a few gallons and go 50% distilled on your next Pils.

Ha! Fortunately my water is pretty soft.

#82 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:23 AM

Ha! Fortunately my water is pretty soft.

If I really want to make a soft Pils, I just use DI water from work.

#83 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

If I really want to make a soft Pils, I just use DI water from work.

that's pretty handy.  do you use all DI and add all your own salts or do you just dilute your water or some combo of the two?

#84 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

okay - I bought a jug of distilled water and calibrated today.  seems like everything went as it should and it was pretty easy.  I did put some storage solution in the cap and put the the probe into the cap.  Do I need to store it upright now b/c otherwise it seems like the probe part might not actually be in the storage solution?

also - can I reuse the storage solution in the cap?  it seems like it could since I'll be rinsing this thing off after every use.  I should order some more though b/c I just used half of my supply!

#85 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:09 PM

okay - I bought a jug of distilled water and calibrated today.  seems like everything went as it should and it was pretty easy.  I did put some storage solution in the cap and put the the probe into the cap.  Do I need to store it upright now b/c otherwise it seems like the probe part might not actually be in the storage solution?

also - can I reuse the storage solution in the cap?  it seems like it could since I'll be rinsing this thing off after every use.  I should order some more though b/c I just used half of my supply!

I reuse what is in the cap

#86 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:25 PM

Yeah I reuse what's in the cap just top off when needed. I fill till its full and when you put the probe in, and some leaks out, it will be fully submerged even on its side.

#87 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:00 PM

Yeah I reuse what's in the cap just top off when needed. I fill till its full and when you put the probe in, and some leaks out, it will be fully submerged even on its side.

Same

#88 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:16 PM

Good tips thanks!

#89 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:45 AM

at least in this instance I have to concede bru'n water is pretty much nuts on.  it predicted 5.5 and my meter was around 5.48-5.5 around the time when the smiley face came on.  one odd thing and maybe this was just the sample cooling a little bit more but the pH was drifting slowly down.  after a minute or so it was at 5.44.  the temperature was about 73F when I took the measurement.

for reference if I had used my colorphast strips at room temp I would have put this around 5.2-5.3 so while not the most accurate I'd at least know that I'm not off in left field??  although I guess I'd need to be off in left field according to my meter and then see that the strips agree to know if they are really a safety net or not.

oh yeah - the manual/quick ref guide for this meter has at least some minor issues.  one I've already found is it tells you hold mode to turn the meter off.  you hold the power button (duh!).

#90 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:42 PM

just pointing this out by itself in case it's lost in the above post....

do you guys notice pH dropping if you leave the probe in for ~1 min?  is this just temperature related or something else?

#91 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:09 PM

that's pretty handy.  do you use all DI and add all your own salts or do you just dilute your water or some combo of the two?

I've done all of the above, for bohemian, straight DI, for German 50%

#92 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

just pointing this out by itself in case it's lost in the above post....

do you guys notice pH dropping if you leave the probe in for ~1 min?  is this just temperature related or something else?

Yep.  According to Martin, it drops for the first 45 min.

#93 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:24 PM

So I last calibrated my meter a couple of weeks ago. Do I need to do it again?

#94 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:25 AM

With mine I would not but that is because I know from using it that it will hold the reading well.  I would dip it in some 4 and 7 and if the reading is on roll with it.  If the reading is not good re-calibrate.

#95 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:11 AM

the 7.0 was about a tenth high so I did a 2 point calibration.

I pulled a sample at about 30 mins and it had to chill in the freezer for about 10 mins.  I accidentally got it down to 60F but probably not a huge issue.  so 40 mins in I was at 5.3.  bru'n water predicted 5.4.  was the pH 5.4 15 minutes earlier?  maybe!  I kind of wonder what point in time bru'n water is predicting if pH drops during the mash.

and since I have a lot of colorphast strips I again checked with one of those.  I would have put it at 5.1 (measured 4.8 and add 0.3, this is my standard procedure) instead of 5.3.  so again not awful but not great if you really wanted to know exactly what your pH was.

#96 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:15 AM

what is your standard deviation on your PH meter?

#97 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

Like what is the accuracy? I think it's 0.01? Probably more like 0.02 or something.

#98 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 June 2020 - 02:20 PM

how satisfied are you with the meter? Is that this one? https://www.amazon.c...customerReviews

#99 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:09 PM

that is the one.  I've only used it the two times so far so I can't say much about long term accuracy or reliability but so far it's easy to use and seems to be giving reasonable results.  so far, so good!

#100 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:44 AM

checked the cal again today and it was pretty much still spot on.  my pH was slightly higher (5.43 instead of 5.3 according to bru'n water) but that's still pretty good.  It's possible my water varies more in the summer when I don't typically brew as often.  I think 5.43 is fine though - no plans to adjust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users