#161 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5020 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:29 AM

I added gelatin and cold crashed my Dead Guy Ale. Will bottle it this weekend.

Little RIPA still fermenting. It's in a sealed keg... no idea how that's going! The temp in my basement is a little cooler than optimal, so I'll let it go a while longer.

Going to brew a simple "brew your own recipe" on the Pico C this weekend. Probably a simple ale of just Viking Pale Ale Malt and Centennial hops fermented with US-05 (maybe the Dead Guy slurry?) to see how it works. 

I'm not only brewing again... I have a pipeline going!

Also, I received the final parts I need to begin construction of a batch of iSpindels... So, busy weekend!

#162 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:44 AM

That sounds fantastic.

Thank you. I don’t tend to make many IPA’s and I’ve grown away from tropical, overly citrusy hops. I wanted something dank and resiny with a touch of grapefruit. I hope I have a weiner.

#163 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

Thank you. I don’t tend to make many IPA’s and I’ve grown away from tropical, overly citrusy hops. I wanted something dank and resiny with a touch of grapefruit. I hope I have a weiner.

I like both kids of IPAs but that one sounds really good .. nice throwback. I can see myself doing something like that soon.

I am planning on a "rustic" lager this weekend.

9# Pils

2# Spelt

.5# Munich

.5# Acid

Warrior @ 30 for about 20 IBUs and then an ounce of Mittlefruh at 5 and 0.

I have a big starter of Bayern ready do go.  I just stocked up on various Omega yeast so I hope I can get some good brewing in.

#164 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:17 PM

F’ing A man. Any Bayern Lager any damn time! I see you’re prepping for a hot summer!!

#165 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

if I confirm I can get plenty of propane more beer will be made.  oh yes, it will be.

#166 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:33 AM

I have a batch of alt-ish half dennys fav, half 34/70 lager bubbling away from last weekend.

If the weather clears I may have to move it to secondary to get in a batch tomorrow and keep the yeast going.

#167 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:23 AM

Into my 2nd hour of mashing; IPA with Old Skool hops; Centennial, Cascade, Columbus and Chinook.  FWH with a little Columbus, 40 minutes with some Chinook and an ounce of each in the whirlpool.  All to be eaten by a 4th run of 1728.

11#    Optic

2#      Barke Munich

1/2#   C40

1/2#   Carapils

I made the above last Friday and it's done.  It tastes pretty good from the beaker, but I'm not picking up on the dank and resiny I had hoped for.  But every beer changes from the sample to the fully carbed keg so no worries.  A couple batches ago I began using one of the micro-mesh hop containers and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the "not so in your face" hop character?  I continuously stir the basket and scrape the sides to make sure the hops are moving around and the oils are mingling.  For anyone of you that use a hop basket do you notice less aroma etc?

#168 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:24 AM

I made the above last Friday and it's done.  It tastes pretty good from the beaker, but I'm not picking up on the dank and resiny I had hoped for.  But every beer changes from the sample to the fully carbed keg so no worries.  A couple batches ago I began using one of the micro-mesh hop containers and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the "not so in your face" hop character?  I continuously stir the basket and scrape the sides to make sure the hops are moving around and the oils are mingling.  For anyone of you that use a hop basket do you notice less aroma etc?

I have and that is why I no longer use it.  

ETA: I used a hop bag for my last few lagers and now that I think about it I am not seeing the hop flavor and aroma I would expect from those as well.

Edited by HVB, 03 April 2020 - 08:25 AM.

#169 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

Doing my first BIAB beer this weekend. Got my bag lifting frame put together.

Recipe is based on Memory Lapse Pale Ale.

Hey Pemberton! Check your PM in box. I had a some questions for you.

#170 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:55 AM

Hey Pemberton! Check your PM in box. I had a some questions for you.

Not sure you will get a response any time soon.

#171 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5020 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:59 AM

This weekend I'll be bottling Denny Conn's Little RIPA, and I will probably brew the "brew your own recipe" test on the Pico C (that I didn't get to last weekend!) Will be a test of Viking Pale Ale Malt with Centennial hops. Will pitch it on the Dead Guy yeast that I saved last week (US-05).

Dead Guy still has a week of carbonation left...

#172 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:24 AM

I have and that is why I no longer use it.  

ETA: I used a hop bag for my last few lagers and now that I think about it I am not seeing the hop flavor and aroma I would expect from those as well.

I guess I'll be returning to my old method which has worked very well over a ton of batches.  When I run off into the fermenter, I use a double mesh strainer and funnel.  For super hop forward batches, I might have to close the valve a few times to pitch the hop sludge as it comes out but it's not that big of a deal.  Lesson learned about the micro-mesh  :(

#173 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:41 AM

Looking at an American pilsner/lager next week:

10lb pils + 1lb flaked corn, to ~1.060 for 5.5 gal in the primary.

Mt. Hood (pellets) to bitter, with 2 late additions of Halleratu pellets, for ~35-40 IBUs total.

Breaking in some new packets of S-189 for this one, which I haven't used in a while.

#174 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5020 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:54 AM

Need to try a lager soon, since I have a fermentation fridge, now!

#175 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:11 AM

Not sure you will get a response any time soon.

What? I was hoping to get his advice on how much to hop his MLPA. Seems like every time I go for a modest and balanced hopped beer, I end up with more bitterness than I want. His recipe says 24-30 IBU, but when I shoot for something like that, the hops have more presense than I am shooting for. Plus his addition are 30 minute additions. Does he do 60 minute boil or a 30 minute boil?

Oh well. I am sure I will still make a good beer. Just trying t dial in my processes.

#176 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:14 AM

What? I was hoping to get his advice on how much to hop his MLPA. Seems like every time I go for a modest and balanced hopped beer, I end up with more bitterness than I want. His recipe says 24-30 IBU, but when I shoot for something like that, the hops have more presense than I am shooting for. Plus his addition are 30 minute additions. Does he do 60 minute boil or a 30 minute boil?

Oh well. I am sure I will still make a good beer. Just trying t dial in my processes.

Have you noticed Ken has not been around in a while?  I do not think you will see him around here.

He does 30 minute boils.

#177 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:23 AM

Have you noticed Ken has not been around in a while?  I do not think you will see him around here.

He does 30 minute boils.

Good to know. Thank you.

I guess I will have to put on my big boy brewmaster pants and take my best shot.

#178 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:59 PM

In my new house, the previous owners left me 2 propane tanks. I think that brings my total to 7 now.

And oddly enough I STILL seem to run out!

:P

#179 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:05 PM

In my new house, the previous owners left me 2 propane tanks. I think that brings my total to 7 now.

Yeah because 6 are empty and you only keep refilling the one. :)

#180 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:07 AM

I have 5 and try to keep at least 3 full at all times especially during hurricane season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users