247 replies to this topic

#121 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54160 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

Ken, I kegged my 940 Honey lager this morning and poured the slurry directly into the batch of Amber Lager above. The Lager I kegged smells and tastes fantastic.

Mmm.  Have you used it before?  I'm soooo looking forward to getting it built up and using it.  

#122 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:06 PM

No never before. But boy did it perform well in terms of finishing clean. And the smell is a beaut

#123 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:55 AM

Mashing in on a NEIPA right now. Finish it off with chinook, Citra, Simcoe and a touch of sabro. Combo of 04/05 for yeast. First batch in the flex +.

#124 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54160 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:01 AM

Mashing in on a NEIPA right now. Finish it off with chinook, Citra, Simcoe and a touch of sabro. Combo of 04/05 for yeast. First batch in the flex +.

Happy President's Day.  :)

#125 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25630 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

I failed to brew this weekend. SWMBO decided that I needed to get other priorities and obligations taken care of first. Next Saturday will be the day.

#126 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

Brewed another NEIPA last night. This coming weekend,Feel like brewing a big ole barleywine to sip on next winter.

Going to employ some ultra-ferm in the mash, to help with attenuation. I useally use two pitches of yeast in staggered rounds to get the FG in the mid teens, but curious how the stuff works in high gravity mashes. Aiming for 9.5-10% abv.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 17 February 2020 - 06:16 PM.

#127 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54160 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:09 AM

I transferred my latest beer (a pale ale with Horizon, Sterling and Glacier) to a keg last night and threw the keg into the garage to get cold.  I retired the 1056 so the brewery is officially closed for awhile.  I can only keep 9 kegs cold so this pale ale (keg #10) will stay in the temporary walk-in cooler garage until there is space downstairs in the fridge.  It will have no trouble staying cold for at least another 6 weeks.  

#128 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

I have beer fridgeproblems, but I'm still gonna brew a kolsch tomorrow for a wedding. Gonna have to get creative about chilling my other beers so I get the beer ready in time.

#129 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25630 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:22 AM

Got off work early. On and impulse, I went to Morebeer and picked up a 8.5 gallon stainless steel kettle to make new shiny HLT. While there, I decided to throw together a recipe.

12# Viking extra pale malt
2# Viking Vienna malt
.5# Bisquit malt (I had some hanging around)

1 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
.5 oz Cashmere 60 min
.75 oz Cashmere 10 min
.75 0z Cashmere 5 min

Gigayeast Northern California Ale

Looks like tomorrow will be grew day. I ordered a bag for BIAB, but it will did not get here in time. Next batch will be hanging from the ceiling.

#130 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

Alt with WY1728 fermenting away happily at 55F.  In a week or so when it's done I'll use the slurry for wee shroomy.

#131 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:21 AM

Alt with WY1728 fermenting away happily at 55F.  In a week or so when it's done I'll use the slurry for wee shroomy.

I don't have the volumes in front of my but I know you pull out XX wort and boil it down then add back.  What is your calc for the extra water?  I know that for any batch I need 7.25 gallons to get me 5.25.  How much would I need to add if I were to do your recipe?

#132 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

I don't have the volumes in front of my but I know you pull out XX wort and boil it down then add back.  What is your calc for the extra water?  I know that for any batch I need 7.25 gallons to get me 5.25.  How much would I need to add if I were to do your recipe?

I pull a gal. and boil down to a pint or so.  I just sparge an extra gal. to compensate

#133 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:14 PM

Got the kolsch done yesterday. Gonna find out about my beer fridge tomorrow.

#134 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

Just kegged my Citra/Simcoe/Chiook NEIPA.  The Flex + made it pretty painless that is for sure.  I am cleaning that out while brewing up a Vic Secret wheat pale ale.  Just going with S-05 for a quick turn around.

#135 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

Looks like a saison is on deck for Tuesday. 

Mostly pils, a bit of Munich, a dash of C-40 and some flaked oats, to ~1.070 for 5.5 gal in the primary.  Magnum to bitter, plus some First Gold and EKG for late additions.

The first batch I made w/ 3711 was spectacular, and I cleverly managed to save some of the yeast cake. 

With warmer weather approaching, this might be a good beer to have on hand in a month or 2.

#136 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:19 PM

Beer fridge is toast. Yanked the kolsch from the feem fridge to finish ambient. Threw the stout into the ferm fridge and knocked the temp down so it will clear. Put the duss alt in there too. Kegged the ipa and its carbing. Now I gotta clean some more kegs and get these beers kegged and carbed up for the wedding. Gotta get the kegerators cleaned up too.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 01 March 2020 - 09:20 PM.

#137 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:13 AM

Just wrapped up a session. Did a barleywine, with an O.G. of 1.086, aimed for 1.090, but that's ok.

#138 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:08 AM

3711 was spectacular, and I cleverly managed to save some of the yeast cake.

With warmer weather approaching, this might be a good beer to have on hand in a month or 2.

Love the 3711

#139 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:03 AM

The first batch I made w/ 3711 was spectacular, and I cleverly managed to save some of the yeast cake. 

You've inspired me to spin some 3711 for a Sunday batch.  6# Pale, 6# Pils, 1/2# Honey Malt, 1/2# Sugar, Magnum to bitter and 2:1 Mosaic/Hallertau Blanc in the whirlpool.

I've gotten in the habit to make big enough starters to save off fresh yeast.  This will be my second gen of the 3711.  

#140 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:08 AM

You've inspired me to spin some 3711 for a Sunday batch.  6# Pale, 6# Pils, 1/2# Honey Malt, 1/2# Sugar, Magnum to bitter and 2:1 Mosaic/Hallertau Blanc in the whirlpool.

I've gotten in the habit to make big enough starters to save off fresh yeast.  This will be my second gen of the 3711.  

What OG and IBU range?  Have you used that blend before?  I would not mind getting a saison going soon for when spring gets here.  I have all of that minus the 3711.  I have not used that in years but it would be a welcomed change to be honest.    I have not brewed a good saison in years!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users