#81 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:15 AM

Started the cold crash for the Schwarzbier yesterday morning. from 1.054 to 1.010 in 7 days using 883. oh, how i love the quick lager method.   :cabbagepatch:

#82 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53908 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:36 AM

Started the cold crash for the Schwarzbier yesterday morning. from 1.054 to 1.010 in 7 days using 883. oh, how i love the quick lager method.   :cabbagepatch:

833?  838?

* scratches head *

:lol:

#83 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

Definitely love the QLM and use it exclusively.  But I do find that these quickly kegged lagers get much better (less green??) about 3 weeks after kegging.  Thoughts?

#84 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

Definitely love the QLM and use it exclusively.  But I do find that these quickly kegged lagers get much better (less green??) about 3 weeks after kegging.  Thoughts?

The QLM works wonders if you want to turn around a lager in about 2 week's time. But, I agree, if you let it sit it for a month or so, the flavors meld together quite nicely. been having great success with making a lager using QLM, park it in the fridge in the garage on C02, and pull it out once a keg kicks. Its always nice to have a lager in reserve. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 28 January 2020 - 10:00 AM.

#85 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

833?  838?

* scratches head *

:lol:

830. oops. had to look at my notes. lol

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 28 January 2020 - 10:03 AM.

#86 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53908 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

830. oops. had to look at my notes. lol

Oh, 830 is the bomb.  The bomb I tells ya.  Some think that 830 and 2124 are the same strain but I don't think so.  

#87 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

Oh, 830 is the bomb.  The bomb I tells ya.  Some think that 830 and 2124 are the same strain but I don't think so.  

Quick google search says you are correct

https://www.saltcity...Comparison3.pdf

#88 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53908 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

Quick google search says you are correct

https://www.saltcity...Comparison3.pdf

I used a lot of 830 years ago and I loved its character.  I ended up using much more 2124 because 1) I prefer the packaging where you know the yeast is viable and 2) There is no local place near me (out of 6-8 places I know) that sell White Labs yeast.  But at some point I ordered some 830 for nostalgic reasons and even though it was excellent, I find it slightly different than 2124 and IIRC, I even looked at the typical numbers (attenuation, flocculation, ideal temp range, etc) and they were slightly different.  I ordered 940 and 838 recently and I probably should have ordered 940 and 830.  :scratch:

#89 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

Doing a zwicklbier today w/ 50/50 Barke pils/munich,   28 IBUs, Imperial Harvest.

#90 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:39 PM

Kegged some stout and alt on Sat. Brewed more stout on Sun for a wedding in March. Gotta brew more Alt next weekend. Then kolsch 2 weeks later. That will be 5 beers this year so far which is way better than I did last year.

#91 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:13 AM

Pulled off my experimental honey malt, pils, vienna lager yesterday and the stepped up 940 went berserk by the evening. 

Now I need an idea for this healthy slurry.  Thinking Helles Bock? 

#92 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

Brewed a last minute kolsch yesterday since I was off and it was gorgeous outside. Mainly Best Malz pils with a bit of Vienna and white wheat added, 1.049 and hopped with Edelweiss. Pitched what I hope was a restarted slurry of WY2565...the jar was unlabeled :(

Currently sitting in my unheated garage but I think it may be too cold in there...temps are in the mid 50s and probably lower overnight.

#93 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:06 PM

I've been looking at this #10 can of Marion Berry and FINALLY started a melomel with it. Details in Mead section. Label idea requests in the Hot Spot.

You know what helps when you do BIAB?

Using the fecking bag. Shit.

Howe mush wer yer drinkin'

#94 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53908 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:24 PM

I retired this Diamond yeast today.  Seven batches made with it and it still looked and smelled lovely.  I have been brewing like crazy since December and aside from one keg that will be transferred in about 10 days, all of my kegs are full so the Diamond did it's important work and I salute it.  I would use that yeast again, for sure.  I have some 1056 going now in a pale ale (run #5 of the 1056) and when I get back from vacation I will either make one last batch with it or else I'll retire that and eventually move on to the 940.  Cheers.

#95 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:34 PM

I sampled a hydrometer sample of my diamond beer yesterday and I was pleased. So much better than that S-189 beer.

#96 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53908 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:56 PM

I sampled a hydrometer sample of my diamond beer yesterday and I was pleased. So much better than that S-189 beer.

I should mention that I dropped just one packet into a 5% lager wort and it started up relatively quickly.  The only surprise was that the first batch actually had a bit of diacetyl.  I put that keg on tap and my son was drinking it.  I grabbed a glass and winced.  I said, "Do you taste anything off?" and he said, "No, I think it's great!".  No.  I let it warm up over a 3-4 day period and put it back on and the diacetyl was gone.  I have tasted 2 other batches made with the yeast and no diacetyl.  Just a warning for you.  

#97 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

I should mention that I dropped just one packet into a 5% lager wort and it started up relatively quickly. The only surprise was that the first batch actually had a bit of diacetyl. I put that keg on tap and my son was drinking it. I grabbed a glass and winced. I said, "Do you taste anything off?" and he said, "No, I think it's great!". No. I let it warm up over a 3-4 day period and put it back on and the diacetyl was gone. I have tasted 2 other batches made with the yeast and no diacetyl. Just a warning for you.

I bumped mine up at the end for a d rest. Fingers crossed!

#98 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:50 PM

Took out the stout and brewed the alt today. I keep saying it, brewing 5 gallons of beer is SOOOOOOOoooooooo much easier to deal with. 4.5 hours start to finish BIAB. It just doesn't get any easier than this.

#99 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:25 PM

I brewed two beers yesterday. A hoppy belgian beer based off Revolution's Little Crazy, then I did a second runnings beer that I'm going to add enzyme to to try and dry out like crazy to make a cheap lager beer. We'll see if it turns out! I figured it's not ideal, but it seems like a fun experiment!

#100 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:26 PM

Howe mush wer yer drinkin'

I was drinking, yes. I don't recall what or how much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users