#61 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:57 AM

Irish red lager on deck for Thursday.  Brewing my tried and true Irish red ale, but deploying a fresh slurry of 34/70.

Want to get this one knocked out and give it some time in the fridge before tapping on St. Patrick's day.

#62 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

Irish red lager on deck for Thursday.  Brewing my tried and true Irish red ale, but deploying a fresh slurry of 34/70.

Want to get this one knocked out and give it some time in the fridge before tapping on St. Patrick's day.

Yum.  A red lager is always good.

At this point I have 8 of my 10 kegs full.  There are two kegs that will blow shortly which gives me the chance to brew 2 more batches with the current yeast strains that are up and running (Diamond and 1056).  Next weekend I'm going to make the "American Bock" I posted on the last page and then the Diamond (I believe it was used for 7 batches total) will be retired.  The weekend after that I will make the American Pale Ale below and then the 1056 will be retired.  In my stash of yeast I have two fresh packs of White Labs yeast (940 and 838) and my brewery will turn into LagerWorld® for most of the spring and summer.  After that I might conjure up something off-the-map... maybe something with Eye of Newt, Witch Hazel, St. John's Wort and Howlet's Wing.  I'll call it "Blue Moon".  :lol:

APA-2020.png

#63 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

Schwarzbier on deck tonight!

#64 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:55 PM

Irish red lager is in the primary.  Another workday brewday is in the books. 

5lb Maris Otter

5lb pils

0.5lb C-40

0.5lb wheat

1oz Carafa-3

Magnum (11.1% AA, pellet), for bittering, to ~30 IBUs

Mt. Hood, (5% AA), for a 10-min and flameout additions, for ~10 IBUs, for 40-ish total IBUs

A fresh slurry of 34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.  Beersmith predicts an OG of ~1.060 for 5.5 gal in the primary.

Wort came out a really nice, deep yet clear red; garage smelled real nice from mash-in to flame-out.  Looking forward to this one for St. Patty's Day.

#65 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:24 PM

Spunded 10 gallons of pils I brewed on Sunday.   Digging this L17 yeast.  Averaged just over an 8 point gravity drop/day at 52 degrees,   Not sure if it's the yeast, the better wort oxygenation I'm doing, or the zinc I'm adding to the fermenter.   Maybe all 3.  Probably mostly the oxygenation... :P

#66 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

Spunded 10 gallons of pils I brewed on Sunday. Digging this L17 yeast. Averaged just over an 8 point gravity drop/day at 52 degrees, Not sure if it's the yeast, the better wort oxygenation I'm doing, or the zinc I'm adding to the fermenter. Maybe all 3. Probably mostly the oxygenation... :P

Correct me if I am wrong but L17 is equivalent to Omega Bayern, or very similar.

#67 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

That's what I've heard, but don't have any first-hand knowledge.   I just tried it for grins last fall because my LHBS started carrying Imperial.   I've been extremely pleased with it. 

#68 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:58 AM

All set up to do this Honey malt lager experiment Sunday morning.

5# Pale, 5# Pilsner, 1/2# Barke Munich, 1/2# Honey malt, and an ounce of Midnight wheat for copper color.

20 IBU Sterling at 40 minutes and an ounce each Sterling and Crystal in the whirlpool. 

2 packs of Diamond Lager to do the heavy lifting as Bklmt2000 might say :)

#69 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but L17 is equivalent to Omega Bayern, or very similar.

It's interesting because Wyeast had it as "2352 Munich Lager 2" and then Omega Bayern came out and if L17 was the same, that would be three versions of the same yeast.  But... before Wyeast released it I don't think I ever ran across anything like it.  It's supposed to be Augustiner's strain and it's a beautiful yeast to brew with.  It's hard to describe the character but I love it.  940 is going to be the next lager strain to run here but I think Bayern will be after that.

Again, if someone came out with a dry version of Bayern/L17/2352 and also a dry version of 940, that would be righteous.  I would use Diamond along with those two and possibly avoid liquid yeast altogether!  :lol:

#70 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:42 AM

All set up to do this Honey malt lager experiment Sunday morning.

5# Pale, 5# Pilsner, 1/2# Barke Munich, 1/2# Honey malt, and an ounce of Midnight wheat for copper color.

20 IBU Sterling at 40 minutes and an ounce each Sterling and Crystal in the whirlpool. 

2 packs of Diamond Lager to do the heavy lifting as Bklmt2000 might say :)

Keep us posted on how it goes and enjoy your brewday.

American Bock slated for tomorrow and the recipe is on the previous page.  I made that "homemade sinamar" that will be standing by.  I'm going to get the wort ready and then pour a glass of Shiner Bock and get some of the wort into another glass and compare.  If the wort is too pale, here comes the homemade sinamar.  Should be interesting.

In related news, new hops showed up.  I got ½ pound of Glacier (5.1%) and a ½ pound of Sterling (6.8%), both 2018 crop for $2.50 each from Yakima Valley.  There are plenty of styles I can make with both.  Cheers gang.

#71 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

I transferred my "Original Munich Lager" to a keg today and harvested the Diamond yeast.  I cleaned out the fermenter and I have to say that the aroma of this yeast is just lovely.  My whole kitchen smelled like it.  I am using it again tomorrow in this "American Bock" and that will be run #7 of this blob of yeast and it appears to be in excellent shape.  I was going to retire it after that batch but I might have a problem doing that.  :P

#72 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

Mt. Hood Helles/pilsner in the fermenter. Had a bit better efficiency than expected so the gravity is a bit higher. Relatively smooth, easy brewday for a change.

#73 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

Postponed till next week. In the meantime wish me luck

53-A60391-264-D-4-E17-8-CFC-5509-D4-EDAD

#74 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Postponed till next week. In the meantime wish me luck

53-A60391-264-D-4-E17-8-CFC-5509-D4-EDAD

Make a good starter and roll the dice.  It should take off without an issue.  Give it the sniff test when it's active.  940 is next up here too.

#75 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

I’m optimistic. Gonna step it up

#76 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

I’m optimistic. Gonna step it up

What are you going to make with it?  I think that while you're brewing, you should have this playing...

#77 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

Next week (1st week of February), a stout for St. Patty's Day is on deck, to be served on teh nitro.

5lb Maris Otter

5lb pils

2lb flaked barley

1lb roasted barley

1lb C-40

for an OG of ~1.075 (~8% abv) for 5.5 gallons in the primary.

Looking at Magnum to bitter, then a combo of First Gold and EKG for some late additions, to ~50 IBUs total.

Since I don't have any Irish ale yeast on hand, a fresh slurry of 1028 London Ale will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

#78 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

Toasted 3# of 2-row earlier today.  Cleaning some kegs now.  Starter on Tuesday

#79 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:49 AM

Make a good starter and roll the dice.  It should take off without an issue.  Give it the sniff test when it's active.  940 is next up here too.

I'm having much success stepping up the old 940 and I have to say it smells awesome.  I'm picking up a rich bread'y character and there's also this faint banana bread thing there too.  I have a half gallon spinning right now.  The plan is to pour off at last a 16 ounce Mason Jar for  future use and then step up the current with another pint of wort for this weekend's brew.  I'll be swimming in the stuff :)

#80 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

I'm having much success stepping up the old 940 and I have to say it smells awesome.  I'm picking up a rich bread'y character and there's also this faint banana bread thing there too.  I have a half gallon spinning right now.  The plan is to pour off at last a 16 ounce Mason Jar for  future use and then step up the current with another pint of wort for this weekend's brew.  I'll be swimming in the stuff :)

That's good news.  Beers made with 940 have such a great character.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users