#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 January 2020 - 03:41 PM

Me, too! I usually get to it in Sept. but I'm way behind this year. Got some MI Chinooks to use in it, which are so much different than PNW Chinook

I've never had the time to brew enough beer to tell the difference between many hops besides the major descriptors. I hope that soon enough I'll be able to be that educated.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

Me, too! I usually get to it in Sept. but I'm way behind this year. Got some MI Chinooks to use in it, which are so much different than PNW Chinook

Hop head hops? I want get some from them, heard good things.

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:53 AM

Hop head hops? I want get some from them, heard good things.

Actually some friends got them from a brewery and sent them to me.  But I'M BREWING!!!!!

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:49 PM

On deck for tomorrow is a sort of American Ale.  GP, wheat and then small amounts of dark crystal and Special B.  Northern Brewer to bitter and then another ounce towards the end of the boil and 1056.  5.2%, 28 IBUs, SRM of about 12.  Cheers gang.  

Super smooth brewday today.  I got a really nice reddish-amber wort from this grain bill and I also opened a new 1-pound pack of Northern Brewer which was really fresh, vibrant green and aromatic.  Quick brewday, decent weather (40° and sunny) and wort is in the fermenter.  One more brewday this coming week (or weekend) and then all kegs will be filled again... except that one of the kegs in the draft fridges is very light.   :frantic:

#25 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

Just hit the boil not long ago for the NEIPA. best part of brewing these is, no hop additions after the boil is complete- all caught up on cleaning the MT, the bucket is sanitized, and waiting for the time to pass.   

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

Just hit the boil not long ago for the NEIPA. best part of brewing these is, no hop additions after the boil is complete- all caught up on cleaning the MT, the bucket is sanitized, and waiting for the time to pass.   

Late Sunday brewday.  A truly committed and dedicated man of the craft!  :lol:  

:frank:

#27 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

Thank you! At the same time, i work the 3rd shift, and Sunday is my day to reset from being a day walker on the weekend to a night walker during during the week. So, if I gotta be up all night, might as well brew some beer!

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 05 January 2020 - 09:55 PM.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

Thank you! At the same time, i work the 3rd shift, and Sunday is my day to reset from being a day walker on the weekend to a night walker during during the week. So, if I gotta be up all night, might as well brew some beer!

Ah.  My dad was a 3rd shifter his whole life... 11pm to 7am.  <_<  I know all about it.  He would get home and drink beer at 7:30am.  People might see him and think, "Oh, poor guy can't get off the front porch without a beer!".  :lol:

Cheers brother.  

#29 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:09 PM

Prost!

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:28 AM

You don't do a whirlpool addition? My NEIPAs are the opposite, no hop additions till after the boil is done mainly.

#31 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:22 AM

You don't do a whirlpool addition? My NEIPAs are the opposite, no hop additions till after the boil is done mainly.

the only hop addition is a
whirlpool during the hot side; knock it down to about 160, and steep for 20 minutes.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 06 January 2020 - 05:24 AM.

#32 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:47 AM

Happy yeast=good fermentation....    My pils I did on New Year's day is ready to spund today.   I think I've finally figured out that my lagers need more oxygen than I thought...

Edited by pkrone, 06 January 2020 - 05:51 AM.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:51 AM

the only hop addition is a
whirlpool during the hot side; knock it down to about 160, and steep for 20 minutes.

Agh, I see. That makes sense.  I was just confused by the original post.

Happy yeast=good fermentation....    My pils I did on New Year's day is ready to spund today. 

True!  I did a NEIPA on New Years Day and I capped it last night with dryhops.  It will spund a bit in the fermenter before I keg it.  Full spunding in a keg just does work well for me for some reason.

#34 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:55 AM

Happy New Who's Brewing Fellas.  I managed a mild 3711 Saison on the 2nd.  Already dropping out.  Next up a 100% Mecca Grade Vienna Lager with Diamond yeast.  Shooting for Saturday morning.

#35 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

Got an old pack of WLP940 Mexican I just found in the fridge; best by August iirc.  Gonna step it up and see if it takes.  If so I'm going to use it in my Mecca Vienna hopefully this weekend.  Lallemand Diamond is the default.

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:47 AM

Got an old pack of WLP940 Mexican I just found in the fridge; best by August iirc.  Gonna step it up and see if it takes.  If so I'm going to use it in my Mecca Vienna hopefully this weekend.  Lallemand Diamond is the default.

WLP940 is on my shopping list along with Omega Bayern.  I'm envisioning some nice spring/summer beers with the 940... great character from that yeast.  

#37 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:06 AM

Amber lager in progress; boil is almost done.  Garage smells nice.

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

Amber lager in progress; boil is almost done.  Garage smells nice.

Did you posted the recipe?  "Amber Lager" is my weakness, you know.  :P  Nice work brewing on a Tuesday, btw.  

I just put a recipe together for one of my "clean pale ales".  Golden Promise (or Swaen Pale Ale depending on how much GP I have left), wheat, caramunich and then Gr. Northern Brewer to bitter and then into the WP goes two more ounces of NB and three ounces of Mt. Hood and then 1056.  That should be a nice, clean pale ale with some crisp hop action.  

#39 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:15 AM

WLP940 is on my shopping list along with Omega Bayern.  I'm envisioning some nice spring/summer beers with the 940... great character from that yeast.  

I am hoping I can revive it for sure.  Almost forgot about the O'Bayern.  Shame on me.

#40 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:27 AM

Did you posted the recipe?  "Amber Lager" is my weakness, you know.  :P

I used this grain bill for a recent Altbier and I am so happy with it, I'm doing something I don't do; entering it in the Coconut Cup in Miami. But my point is I can see this working with any yeast, especially a lager strain.  It could go with Noble or American hops. I used Tett and Hallertau.  Very Amber beer and just the right amount of crystal and roast to be there but doesn't dominate.

5 lbs             Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)    43.2 %      
4 lbs             Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)   34.6 %      
2 lbs             Barke Munich (10.0 SRM)          17.3 %      
6.0 oz            Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 3.2 %       
1.5 oz            Carafa II (412.0 SRM)            0.8 %       
1.5 oz            Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)       0.8 % 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users