Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:12 AM

Looking at an American pilsner/lager next week:

10lb pils + 1lb flaked corn, to ~1.060 for 5.5 gal in the primary.

Mt. Hood (pellets) to bitter, with 2 late additions of Halleratu pellets, for ~35-40 IBUs total.

Breaking in some new packets of S-189 for this one, which I haven't used in a while.

Did something very similar including 1# flaked maize and found a pound to be too corny. Maybe I should have mashed lower to dry it out more. Will have to revisit recipe and notes.

Also find that I like the flavor of grits more

#182 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:25 AM

Anyone brewing more as a stress reliever during lock down? I just kegged my less than dank IPA, I have a 3711 Mosaic Saison sitting on 5 pounds of mangoes 2 pretty full kegs of lager; amber and honey malt and I want to do a dry crisp Pilsner this week. Beer and Brewing is helping to keep me calm I think.

#183 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:03 PM

Brewed up a Spelt lager yesterday and got some 1450 going for my version of Ruthless Rye later this week.

#184 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:45 PM

Are to share your version sir

#185 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4999 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:03 PM

Forgot to dry hop my Little RIPA, so it has to wait a bit longer to be bottled. Racked it onto the hops in a Little Mouth Bubbler so I could use the keg for my next batch. Smells wonderful and came out to nearly 7% ABV. 

I'm mashing my first test recipe on the Pico C right now. Kind of a SMaSH/Amber/Pale Ale using Viking Pale Ale Malt and Centennial hops. More of a test than aiming for anything specific.

#186 mikesarney

mikesarney

Advanced Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBridgeville, PA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:42 AM

Brewed yesterday for the first time in 16 months, my normal APA recipe.  Managed to spill 8lbs of 2 row on my workshop floor while crushing it. Ended up using 3 more pounds of munich than I usually do since I did not have enough 2-row left to replace everything that was dumped.  Added some extra hops to balance out the extra maltliness.  

Pitched my last 2 packets of US-05.  Noticed that one expires in 2021, and the other expired in 2017.  Not sure how that rotation worked, but I split the 2 packets between my 2 fermenters.  Have bubbling air locks this morning  :D

#187 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:50 AM

I wish I could but I'm having a hard time justifying using propane when it means I'll have to make another trip out to exchange the tank.  this is really making me more irate with the local hardware store that wouldn't fill it for basically no reason other than they don't like home depot or some BS like that.

#188 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:10 AM

I wish I could but I'm having a hard time justifying using propane when it means I'll have to make another trip out to exchange the tank.  this is really making me more irate with the local hardware store that wouldn't fill it for basically no reason other than they don't like home depot or some BS like that.

Do those blue rhino have any markings other than the label?  Cut that off and try it.  Or go old school like this place near me, wood fired!

I feel lucky with my local place they are real good.  I once had an expired tank, did not realize it, and went to fill it before a big snowstorm was predicted and the guy said it was expired but he would fill it because of what was foretasted.  He did not have to but did.  I really appreciated that.

#189 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:26 AM

there are still good people out there and I'm very thankful for them.

#190 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:36 AM

That just seems very bizarre, what does HD even have to do with it? Because they are a Blue Rhino dealer, so are a lot of people. I agree with drez, try cutting label off and try again. Maybe you will get a different guy. Or find another place. I seem to have so many places to choose from around here. Maybe because propane is so common for heating around here. Even BJ's does around here.

#191 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:54 AM

there are almost definitely other places.  I just need to find one but I still want to limit how often I'm going out and interacting with people.

#192 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:31 AM

One of my issues, too, so I've been using the Grainfather a lot. Nice to have the option.

#193 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:46 PM

One of my issues, too, so I've been using the Grainfather a lot. Nice to have the option.

I'm working on getting electricity going but I have a feeling that's a little more long term than I'd like.  Summer is coming and my desire to brew will go way down when it's hot and humid outside.

Edited by Mando, 07 April 2020 - 12:47 PM.

#194 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:52 PM

I'm working on getting electricity going but I have a feeling that's a little more long term than I'd like.  Summer is coming and my desire to brew will go way down when it's hot and humid outside.

basement .. basement .. basement ..lol

#195 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:56 PM

basement .. basement .. basement ..lol

:watching:

#196 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:08 PM

Tomorrow is the Chouffe Houblon I posted about in the recipe section.

#197 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:54 AM

I brought a blue rhino to the local equipment rental guy for refill. And I buy a bunch of propane there. He said there weren't supposed to refill BR tanks. Asking, I was told "There is no difference in the valves or anything, it's just legal stuff. If the tank didn't say BR, there'd be no problem." So I pulled out my trusty Swiss Army knife and removed the objectionable signage and said "Like that?" Grinning, his answer was "What Blue Rhino tank?" ;)

#198 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

I got a Blue Rhino tank and a tank I bought and refill at U-Haul. The stamp has expired. I will find out tommorow if U-Haul notices and refuses to refill it. If they do not, I guess it will get turned into Blue Rhino or some other service.

#199 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:02 PM

I brought a blue rhino to the local equipment rental guy for refill. And I buy a bunch of propane there. He said there weren't supposed to refill BR tanks. Asking, I was told "There is no difference in the valves or anything, it's just legal stuff. If the tank didn't say BR, there'd be no problem." So I pulled out my trusty Swiss Army knife and removed the objectionable signage and said "Like that?" Grinning, his answer was "What Blue Rhino tank?" ;)

I'll be trying this at some point.

#200 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:06 PM

Warm weather masa beer with Azacca tomorrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users