#261 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:01 AM

Well due to my Vienna ingredients and measures fail, I'll be making 10 gallons of a Vienna'ish-at-best Lager with 34/70, one pack in each fermenter. Estimated 1.046 with Magnum up front and a handsome portion of Hallertau to finish. I'm sure it will be a nice summer time quaffer. "Mike Ultra" :)

#262 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

[quote name="drez77" post="2779650" timestamp="Of course I am already thinking of adding in some mosaic or Amarillo or both to go with that simcoe.[/quote]
Yes.

#263 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

Yes.

I have a feeling I will be going that direction.  Those hops all play so well together!

#264 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

RyePA in the morning

#265 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

Looks like Monday may work out for brewday.

If so, then a bockbier is on the docket.

Want to get this one done ASAP and let it lager until September, for Oktoberfest season.

#266 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:23 PM

Who's brewing?

This guy.

First one since early April and it's not going the smoothest. Gram scale appears to be toast. It will be beer.

#267 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

Who's brewing?

This guy.

First one since early April and it's not going the smoothest. Gram scale appears to be toast. It will be beer.

Late-night brew session?  I agree it will be beer and hopefully good.  Luckily for you the gram scales are inexpensive on Amazon.  I'm making an Amber Lager on Friday afternoon.  

#268 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

Late-night brew session? I agree it will be beer and hopefully good. Luckily for you the gram scales are inexpensive on Amazon. I'm making an Amber Lager on Friday afternoon.

Well, it wasnt going to late initially, but the way things are going...

#269 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

Well, it wasnt going to late initially, but the way things are going...

The things we do for beer.  Hopefully my session will be something like 3pm to 7pm if work cooperates.  Cheers my friend.

#270 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:58 AM

I would like to brew but the last few beers I did while good were not what I had envisioned them to be.  I think I am trying too many new ideas at once. I may just roll a few things back and do something really simple and see what comes of it.

#271 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:26 AM

^^^ Dude, this is so me.  I just made a couple lagers back to back and while they are both fine tasting beers, there's no pizazz - nothing really stands out.  Even the Belgian Amber I'm currently pouring is good but just okay....  Next batch is number 100 and I have no inspiriation for any style or even effort.  Personally I think I'm in a slump. 

I guess I could always make the first batch I ever made which was NB's Lefse Blonde :)  Rolling a few things back and simplifying just might be the ticket.  

#272 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

I would like to brew but the last few beers I did while good were not what I had envisioned them to be.  I think I am trying too many new ideas at once. I may just roll a few things back and do something really simple and see what comes of it.

Mmm, I know you said you had a less-than-hoppy Cascade pale ale recently and a blonde that didn't cooperate but I didn't know you were having "issues" with beers not coming out right.  I have gone through that process and I hate it.. what is it... water, bad grain, a new process, a new ingredient?  Very frustrating.  Sometimes you don't find the issue and then you make a beer that hits a home run so you never know what the issue is.  Hang in there and enjoy your vacation.

#273 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:52 AM

I'm getting back into what I think of as "reset-brew" mode: going back to simple, tasty recipes that I've brewed many times before and know well.

Hoping to brew early next week, a straight-ahead SNPA clone of mainly 2-row, a little C-60, and that's it for the grain bill.

Magnum to bitter, homegrown Cascade for flavor/aroma, for ~40 IBU's total, and US-05 for yeast.

#274 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

Mmm, I know you said you had a less-than-hoppy Cascade pale ale recently and a blonde that didn't cooperate but I didn't know you were having "issues" with beers not coming out right.  I have gone through that process and I hate it.. what is it... water, bad grain, a new process, a new ingredient?  Very frustrating.  Sometimes you don't find the issue and then you make a beer that hits a home run so you never know what the issue is.  Hang in there and enjoy your vacation.

The issues may be more of the beer just not coming out as I expected.  Less hoppy and not as dry etc.  I have been chasing a few things trying to emulate them in my beers and I guess it is just not working.

I think if I brew I will go with 100% pils and Hallertau with a couple of packages of 34/70.  If that does not come out as a nice easy drinker I throw my hands up.

^^^ Dude, this is so me.  I just made a couple lagers back to back and while they are both fine tasting beers, there's no pizazz - nothing really stands out.  Even the Belgian Amber I'm currently pouring is good but just okay....  Next batch is number 100 and I have no inspiriation for any style or even effort.  Personally I think I'm in a slump. 

I guess I could always make the first batch I ever made which was NB's Lefse Blonde :)  Rolling a few things back and simplifying just might be the ticket.  

I could be in a slump as well.  Lots of other stuff going on and I am trying to force brewing in and just going though some of the motions.  Need to step back and enjoy the process more.

#275 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:15 AM

Going to brew 10 gallons of kolsch tomorrow.   Still battling some lingering attenuation issues that totally have me stumped...   

#276 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:16 AM

Going to brew 10 gallons of kolsch tomorrow.   Still battling some lingering attenuation issues that totally have me stumped...   

What are you going to use to chill it, about 100# of ice?  I do not envy the TX heat :)

#277 EnkAMania

EnkAMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

Milkshake IPA this weekend

#278 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:07 AM

What are you going to use to chill it, about 100# of ice?  I do not envy the TX heat :)

I'm about to drive to Austin to relocate my daughter.  Yay, moving into an apartment in 138° heat!  :lol:

#279 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

I'm about to drive to Austin to relocate my daughter.  Yay, moving into an apartment in 138° heat!  :lol:

Hire a couple 4 footers to do the labor man.  Worth the expense.

#280 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

Hire a couple 4 footers to do the labor man.  Worth the expense.

What and miss all the fun?  There's a pool there too so it's all good.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users