#301 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

The dregs of Two propane takes completely emptied... hope the last 2# last 15 more minutes

#302 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:50 AM

Prepped peaches (blanch, cool, stone , split, freeze) to add to a wheat beer next weekend.

#303 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:04 PM

No brewing for me this week, though I am babying a ferment.

I thought I was being pretty slick with this one, though. I have been having issues with my beer lines foaming up really badly. Basically, i hit my kegs with gas and take the gas line off. I know there is a leak somewhere in my tubing, so I leave the Co2 closed when I'm not actively using it. Of course, since I'm not replacing the Co2 as I pour beer, I get some gas that leaves suspension and builds up in the crests of my tubing from the drop in pressure.

I recently got a 3d printer and thought I could create something to make sure there are no crests in the tubing, but rather let the tap itself be the only high point in my system. This way, I will at least get the gas out the tap first, followed by foam free beer.

My Solution Just thought I'd share!

Oh, and the green tap in the 2nd pic is also 3d printed. Cheers!

#304 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

I've brewed 4 or 5 weekends in a row.  Took this one off and maybe next too

#305 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:11 AM

Beginning preparations for this Saturday's Tripel

#306 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

I have an Amber Lager made with Bayern (that was batch 3) so I'm going to make a Pilsner this weekend after sending the Amber Lager to a keg.  After the pilsner I'll make a Festbier and then retire the Bayern.  

2946gp2.png

------------------

2lazf5f.png

This uber-simple festbier recipe may be the best I have made.  I made it last year on August 6 (So I'm a little behind this year but whatever... I could switch the festbier and pilsner, I suppose) and it was really nice.  I started with 50/50 pils/munich 2 but I got quite a bit of color from that so I went 65/35 and it was really nice and it lets the Bayern come through.  

#307 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

My IPA's have been nice as of late , i have been adding more DH. I used 1oz for a long time, now i am adding 2oz or 3 oz for a shorter time. Remove before kegging and im not getting grassy taste i was getting ...oh and fresh yeast every brew, extra expense but my brews have had a nice snap of taste lately. 

#308 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

Kegdude, I feel like I can NEVER recreate the intense flavor and aroma that I've had in commercial beers. Even dryhopping with multiple oz of hops. I've kind og given up on brewing SUPER hoppy beers at home, which isn't a huge deal since I still enjoy nice malty beers too.

Now that I'm at my own house, I'm looking forward to exploring more hoppy brews. But even from my experience, 3 oz of hops is pretty usual. Cheers!

#309 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:09 AM

Kegdude, I feel like I can NEVER recreate the intense flavor and aroma that I've had in commercial beers. Even dryhopping with multiple oz of hops. I've kind og given up on brewing SUPER hoppy beers at home, which isn't a huge deal since I still enjoy nice malty beers too.

Now that I'm at my own house, I'm looking forward to exploring more hoppy brews. But even from my experience, 3 oz of hops is pretty usual. Cheers!

I know that. Just breaking out of a rut is an improvement, i spent a long time making brews that were better than Micro swill but i could not recreate the better brews. The Micro brew explosion and varied brews i have to choose from are immense. Bells, founders,,etc..so many quality choices....

#310 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:59 AM

All of this x 10. While hoppy IPA type beer is not my favorite I'd like to at least make a decent one from time to time. I feel that my hop forward beers lack that snap. Not too bitter, but a SNAP a CRISP is missing. I'd like to explore my potential mistakes and find some fixes.

#311 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:32 AM

All of this x 10. While hoppy IPA type beer is not my favorite I'd like to at least make a decent one from time to time. I feel that my hop forward beers lack that snap. Not too bitter, but a SNAP a CRISP is missing. I'd like to explore my potential mistakes and find some fixes.

Dryhopping rates of 1.5-2oz/gallon is not uncommon these days.  As for the snap and crisp, what are you doing about water?

#312 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:08 AM

Dryhopping rates of 1.5-2oz/gallon is not uncommon these days.  As for the snap and crisp, what are you doing about water?

Gosh darn it I knew someone was going to ask that :) Nothing besides lactic additions..... What do I need to do?

#313 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:15 AM

Gosh darn it I knew someone was going to ask that :) Nothing besides lactic additions..... What do I need to do?

If you are looking for that classic IPA finish you need the sulfate up to 150-300 PPM.  Now if you are looking to do a NEIPA beer that is a whole different animal water wise, hope wise too in reality.

This is from my house APA (not and IPA but close enough)  You can see the water I use here

Chinook/Citra beer 6g post boil. Mash temp 148 OG – 1.055 (70%)
Grist
72% ( 9#) Pils
24% (3#) Marris Otter
4% (.5#) Caravienne

Hops

10Chinook @90 10% - 15.2 IBU
28g Chinook @ 10 13% - 8.5 IBU
14g Citra @10 13% - 10.2 IBU
56g Chinook @whirlpool@ 175 10%
28g Citra @whirlpool@ 175 13%
28g Chinook @DH
28g Citra @DH
56g Simcoe @ DH
Dry Hopping done at 65* for about 4-5 days

Yeast
S-05 ( non-rehydrated The HORROR!!!)

Water
Calcium – 103
Sulfate – 160
Chloride – 56

pH=5.32

Here is an IPA - West Coast style.  Recipe need to be updated to 30 minute and I plan to do that soon.

Holiday Hug

11.5g

65M boil

Mash Temp – 149*

Grist Bill

45% - 12# Two Row

45% - 12# Pilsen

4% -1# Caramunich III

4% - 1# CaraPils

2% - ½# Amber Malt (TF)

Hops

70g Delta – Mash Hop

70g Citra – Mash Hop

28g Apollo– 60

56g Simcoe – 15

56g Amarillo – 15

56g Simcoe– 5

56g Amarillo – 5

56g Amarillo – Whirlpool

56g Mosaic – Whirlpool

56g Citra– Dry Hop

56g Simcoe– Dry Hop

56g Amarillo– Dry Hop

56g Mosaic – Dry Hop

Water

Ca – 145ppm

Mg- 3ppm

Na – 41ppm

SO4- 263ppm

Cl- 55ppm

Hope that helps a bit.

#314 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:21 AM

^^^ thanks Drezz. I'll compare this to my water profile on Bru'N. It's also been a few years since I sent to Ward Labs which is something I should probably look at too

#315 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

I feel like I get a chalky character when I up the sulfate too much.  That said, I have been slowly creeping upwards on my sulfate to try to find the kill zone.  

#316 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

I feel like I get a chalky character when I up the sulfate too much.  That said, I have been slowly creeping upwards on my sulfate to try to find the kill zone.  

I have been over 300 and have not found my beer chalky.  I do realize that everyone has a different threshold but I think it has more to do than just sulfate.

#317 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:47 AM

Fellas where do you typically procure your additions?

#318 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:49 AM

I have been over 300 and have not found my beer chalky.  I do realize that everyone has a different threshold but I think it has more to do than just sulfate.

It's the type of thing that doesn't show itself on glass one or two.  But over time it's as if the sulfate is building up and an 'extended session' starts to fatigue my tastebuds.  I notice this with hoppy commercial beers too so it may be hops + sulfate in high levels which just reminds me again that I like malty beers like Vienna, Helles, Festbier, etc.  

Fellas where do you typically procure your additions?

Where to buy CaCl, CaSO4, lactic, etc?  I pick them up at my LHBS and I know they're available on Amazon too.  

#319 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

It's the type of thing that doesn't show itself on glass one or two.  But over time it's as if the sulfate is building up and an 'extended session' starts to fatigue my tastebuds.  I notice this with hoppy commercial beers too so it may be hops + sulfate in high levels which just reminds me again that I like malty beers like Vienna, Helles, Festbier, etc.  

Oh wait till you drink those beers I gave you ..lol.  Palate fatigue is real and I like to have a sour mid session to cleanse the palate.

#320 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

I have an Amber Lager made with Bayern (that was batch 3) so I'm going to make a Pilsner this weekend after sending the Amber Lager to a keg.  After the pilsner I'll make a Festbier and then retire the Bayern.  

2946gp2.png

------------------

2lazf5f.png

This uber-simple festbier recipe may be the best I have made.  I made it last year on August 6 (So I'm a little behind this year but whatever... I could switch the festbier and pilsner, I suppose) and it was really nice.  I started with 50/50 pils/munich 2 but I got quite a bit of color from that so I went 65/35 and it was really nice and it lets the Bayern come through.  

I got a couple of tubes of WLP835 ariving Friday and both of these look really nice.  I have plans to use this yeast for  Vienna and Dunkle but I can see doing one of these as a first run.  That Pilsner may be the one as I have not touched any of the Hallertau that I got over the winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users