153 replies to this topic

#61 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54120 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

I can't see how they would send out 5 pounds to some but not to others unless someone shipped them out without knowing what happened and then someone else blew the whistle and subsequent orders were adjusted. Some of us have higher shipping weights which would suggest those people are getting 5 pounds. My 6 pound shipping weight suggests 4 pounds of hops and 2 pounds of packing material.

#62 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16661 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

I can't see how they would send out 5 pounds to some but not to others unless someone shipped them out without knowing what happened and then someone else blew the whistle and subsequent orders were adjusted. Some of us have higher shipping weights which would suggest those people are getting 5 pounds. My 6 pound shipping weight suggests 4 pounds of hops and 2 pounds of packing material.

I have a higher shipping weight than what I ordered but did not order the 5# Hallertau deal. I just ordered 1# of it.

This is going to be fun to see who actually gets what. 

Edited by neddles, 28 November 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#63 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

Also, if the ones that ordered 5 don't get it there should be a shipping refund.

#64 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16661 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Also, if the ones that ordered 5 don't get it there should be a shipping refund.

It would be shitty for sure. Repeating myself here but the purchase of the non-Hallertau hops in those orders could have been predicated on that 5# price for the Hallertau. So if they denied that price and charged for and sent the rest of the order without prior notification I'd be pissed.

Mystery packages on their way.

#65 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54120 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

Mystery packages on their way.

Indeed. If I had to roll the dice I would say that everyone will get what they ordered and paid for. I can't imagine that a company would look at those orders, possibly realize that there was a goof in their pricing and then adjust the orders, leave the shipping amount and not communicate about it. It would have really bad optics for HopsDirect and clearly they have A LOT of hops to get rid of. Should be interesting.

#66 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

I picked the USPS ground option because i'm cheap thrifty.. No message for me yet...on there site it says unfulfilled order..

#67 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16661 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

Indeed. If I had to roll the dice I would say that everyone will get what they ordered and paid for. I can't imagine that a company would look at those orders, possibly realize that there was a goof in their pricing and then adjust the orders, leave the shipping amount and not communicate about it. It would have really bad optics for HopsDirect and clearly they have A LOT of hops to get rid of. Should be interesting.

Yeah my hunch is that they will make good on those orders. Those shipping weights are providing some good drama tho.

#68 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:04 AM

I just looked and now Hallertau is sold out ..OOPS!

#69 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:08 AM

I picked the USPS ground option because i'm cheap thrifty.. No message for me yet...on there site it says unfulfilled order..

Funny all the USPS options were more for me.

#70 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

Yeah FedEx was the cheapest option for me. I paid $20.10 for 7#s.

#71 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:39 AM

Yeah FedEx was the cheapest option for me. I paid $20.10 for 7#s.

same price for 9#'s.  This morning I went to see what 5#'s would be and it was just over 16. 

#72 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54120 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

Yeah, FedEx was cheapest for me too. I'm pretty sure that I went all :o when I saw the shipping amount but still... $40 for 8 pounds of hops delivered is still good.

I just looked and now Hallertau is sold out ..OOPS!

:lol:

I can see the headline now... Homebrewing punks clean out Puterbaugh Farms of their precious Hallertau!!

#73 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:18 AM

:lol:

I can see the headline now... Homebrewing punks clean out Puterbaugh Farms of their precious Hallertau!!

I am already thinking of ways to use mine!  I have a fresh cake of 34/70 from a rye pils that I can turn around and use right away.  Thinking about just going with Pils and Carapils Copper for an amber lager and hit it heavy with Hall at the end and WP.  Yes, unconventional but why not.

#74 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54120 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

If I end up with a pound I will have quite a bit more Hallertau than I typically have. If I end up with 5 pounds then I'm going to have to get creative. I don't know how long it would ordinarily take to go through 5 pounds of Hallertau but it would be long. I probably need to get some sort of vacuum-sealing system or something.

#75 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

If I end up with a pound I will have quite a bit more Hallertau than I typically have. If I end up with 5 pounds then I'm going to have to get creative. I don't know how long it would ordinarily take to go through 5 pounds of Hallertau but it would be long. I probably need to get some sort of vacuum-sealing system or something.

Yes you should get a vacuum sealer. With the amount you brew I'm surprised you haven't gone this route yet. Buying hops by the pound is much cheaper. As soon as I get a new # pack I open it and break it up into smaller packs, usually 2oz.

#76 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54120 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:45 AM

Yes you should get a vacuum sealer. With the amount you brew I'm surprised you haven't gone this route yet. Buying hops by the pound is much cheaper. As soon as I get a new # pack I open it and break it up into smaller packs, usually 2oz.

I'll check it out. I notice that some places like YVH are packaging hops in Ziploc-type foil bags which make it easier to use some of the hops and then seal them back up. I realize that's not ideal but it's a nice feature. I also notice some places send out ounces (or two or four) of hops in O2-purged, vacuum-sealed foil packs where the hops are REALLY packed in there. The vacuum sealing is so extreme that you can see individual hop pellets from the outside and when you cut into the pack you hear a little FFFFFTTTT! noise. Other places seem to mishandle the hops... they're just in a bag with no vacuum sealing.

Looks like someone could get into this relatively cheaply... EXAMPLE. I saw an even smaller one for about half that price. If I do get five pounds of Hallertau, I might have to use the savings on one of these things.

#77 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

I just repack the # after I open it into a vacuum bag and reseal each time.

#78 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

.............Other places seem to mishandle the hops... they're just in a bag with no vacuum sealing...............

Those are usually bagged in inert gas instead of vacuum packing - well that's pound packages.  I don't remember the last time I purchased a smaller amount.

I just repack the # after I open it into a vacuum bag and reseal each time.

Same here for years

Edited by djinkc, 30 November 2017 - 06:54 AM.

#79 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54120 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

Today I got an email with my receipt. It shows my other hops (Magnum, Crystal, Styrian Goldings) all with one pound and it shows my Hallertau with 5 pounds but... my Hallertau is labeled as "Hallertau Tradition". I know it wasn't advertised that way and an earlier email had a summary of my order where it just said HALLERTAU (GR). I have no idea what I would do with 5 pounds of Tradition. It's a fine bittering hop but I don't care for it late... and it's not that great of a bittering hop because it's probably going to come in at 5.1% or something. I really hope I don't get Tradition.

If anyone else has received a similar email, let me know. I sent her back a 'thank you' and also mentioned that the site showed Hallertau and my confirmation email showed Hallertau but my receipt now shows Tradition. Despite the crazy price, I'm calling that a bait & switch.

#80 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

I am not sure I received a receipt email. My shipping notification still shows Hallertau (gr).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users