#161 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:29 AM

Not sure how you know that but thanks!  :frank:

Because that is standard electrical power for residential houses.  If you were really running at 110v you would have lots of issues.

#162 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:39 AM

Because that is standard electrical power for residential houses. If you were really running at 110v you would have lots of issues.

This.

I'd be running everything by you guys to make sure I don't do anything too stupid.

if I were to do a subpanel would placing it underneath the miller mirror in this pic be okay? is that too close to the sink? I could pretty easily punch through from the basement just below that and run a conduit up to a subpanel at that location. this would probably be <18' run if I were to guess.

6AWJrmR.jpg

I wouldn't place it near a sink, asking for trouble.

#163 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:45 AM

For what it's worth, if you were to go thru all the trouble of adding a sub panel, I'd just go ahead and add a 100 amp subpanel; material is not much more money, and you'll have more space for anything you may asd in the future.

#164 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

I could probably put it on the other side of that doorway (to the right in that picture).  it would just be a little bit more of a hassle to get the 240V outlet over to my brewing area since I'd have to route it under or over that door.  not the end of the world but also not exactly the ideal place for that panel.

For what it's worth, if you were to go thru all the trouble of adding a sub panel, I'd just go ahead and add a 100 amp subpanel; material is not much more money, and you'll have more space for anything you may asd in the future.

if I were to do 100A would I still just use up too breaker spots on my main panel and just use wiring rated to 100A or is it more complicated than that?

Edited by Mando, 04 April 2020 - 09:53 AM.

#165 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:55 AM

Because that is standard electrical power for residential houses.  If you were really running at 110v you would have lots of issues.

sorry to derail but why is stuff listed as 110/120V?  is 110V standard in some places and it's "close enough" for electronics?

#166 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:56 AM

I could probably put it on the other side of that doorway (to the right in that picture). it would just be a little bit more of a hassle to get the 240V outlet over to my brewing area since I'd have to route it under or over that door. not the end of the world but also not exactly the ideal place for that panel.

if I were to do 100A would I still just use up too breaker spots on my main panel and just use wiring rated to 100A or is it more complicated than that?

Correct. The breaker for your sub will still take up 2 spots, and use wire rated for 100 ramps (#3 copper or #1 aluminum)

#167 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:01 AM

I guess if I had a 100A rated panel I could probably run an electric car charger off of it if/when we get one of those.  is that a fair statment?

#168 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:12 AM

The biggest I've seen for a electric car chargerwas 60 amps. So yes, you can. Just don't brew and charge the car at the same time :)

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 04 April 2020 - 10:12 AM.

#169 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:14 AM

The biggest I've seen for a electric car chargerwas 60 amps. So yes, you can. Just don't brew and charge the car at the same time :)

sorry everyone, we can't go anywhere for a few hours :D

#170 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:22 AM

sorry everyone, we can't go anywhere for a few hours :D

I just did something like this for a friend of mine last weekend; cut in 2 outlets (on the same circuit) for his brewing rig, and for his wife's electric car charger. So far, it hadnt caused any issues.

#171 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:18 PM

Personally it wouldn't bother me one bit to put the panel where that Miller sign is. I would want it higher than below the sign. If you put a GFCI breaker in your main panel then the whole sub panel would be protected. No different than a outlet near the sink in your kitchen/bathroom. As far as going 100amp, that will be some spendy and large wire. Running it won't be as easy either, bigger conduit as well. Just something to think about.

#172 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

Is that spendy wire something that can be bought in any length you want?

Also any downside to gcfe? Like I mentioned if I ever wired a car charger up to this panel would I not want that?

#173 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:50 PM

Lowe's/HD should sell it by the ft. I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want GFCI, it will work all the same.

#174 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:02 PM

GFCI protect it all. It may save your life or someone else's one day. Seriously.

As far as the wire, if your going to the conduit route, compare prices with HD/Lowes, and your local electric supply house. Supply house my be cheaper by the foot. (Around here it is)

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 04 April 2020 - 03:02 PM.

#175 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

GFCI protect it all. It may save your life or someone else's one day. Seriously.

As far as the wire, if your going to the conduit route, compare prices with HD/Lowes, and your local electric supply house. Supply house my be cheaper by the foot. (Around here it is)

is white PVC an acceptable conduit?  I figure it will blend with the walls.

#176 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:16 PM

is white PVC an acceptable conduit? I figure it will blend with the walls.

White PVC isnt rated to be electrical (something to do with UV exposure rating) conduit. Also, any fittings or boxes you may need is all gray. You can always spray paint it before installing.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 04 April 2020 - 03:18 PM.

#177 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:21 PM

Not super important in the color thing. The stuff in basement is in metal conduits. Probably some sort of zinc coated stuff.

#178 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:53 PM

Not super important in the color thing. The stuff in basement is in metal conduits. Probably some sort of zinc coated stuff.

Probably E.M.T. (electrical metallic tubing). That's just galvanized coated aluminium pipe.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 04 April 2020 - 06:54 PM.

#179 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:56 PM

IIRC there is a spec in NEC about outlets being X distance from water or possibility of grounding (wet cement floor). I would suggest using this as a guide for panel placement.

Edited by Stout_fan, 04 April 2020 - 06:57 PM.

#180 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:05 PM

IIRC there is a spec in NEC about outlets being X distance from water or possibility of grounding (wet cement floor). I would suggest using this as a guide for panel placement.

Article 230 in the NEC. 230.12 will tell where/what you cant do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users