#181 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:09 PM

IIRC there is a spec in NEC about outlets being X distance from water or possibility of grounding (wet cement floor). I would suggest using this as a guide for panel placement.

thanks, I'll check that out when I have a chance.

#182 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:36 AM

just a more complete picture (as best I can with cars in garage).  red and blue boxes are approximate possible locations for a sub panel.  purple arrow shows existing wall outlet.  blue arrow point to general area where heating and mashing currently happens.  I already took a pic of this that I'll put below.

JYa5VDh.jpg

kNw53hm.jpg

Edited by Mando, 05 April 2020 - 04:36 AM.

#183 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:43 AM

Article 230 in the NEC. 230.12 will tell where/what you cant do.

I can't seem to find 230.12.  Looks like it goes from 230.10 to 230.22 (not sure why).

https://www.academia..._Handbook_2005_

#184 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:03 AM

Can you put the panel where that horse is on the wall above your burner?

#185 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:12 AM

Can you put the panel where that horse is on the wall above your burner?

the only thing wrong with that spot is I'd need to stand on a small ladder to reach the breaker which I'm guessing is no bueno.  just to give a sense of height I have to climb up a couple of feet to look down into that kettle.

one "good" thing is that there is space between the back of that counter and the wall b/c there is a small cement footing on the floor that prevented me from pushing the cabinets all the way up to the wall.  this would make running wiring in that space up from the basement pretty easy.

Edited by Mando, 05 April 2020 - 06:12 AM.

#186 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:21 AM

for some reason I keep thinking about going BIAB and just using my 20 gallon kettle.  never having to move the kettle would be nice.  but then again that adds a whole bunch of things I'd need to change.  as it is I could just put the kettle on the propane burner but not use propane.

ugh!

I should probably just stick with something similar to what I do now.

Edited by Mando, 05 April 2020 - 06:26 AM.

#187 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:25 AM

You shouldn't be turning any breakers on and off, they are not designed to be a switch. I don't think I've turned mine off since I finished it.

#188 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:25 AM

You shouldn't be turning any breakers on and off, they are not designed to be a switch. I don't think I've turned mine off since I finished it.

might I need to do that in an emergency?  I thought there were rules about having space clear in front of electrical panels.  maybe that's just commercial.

#189 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:22 AM

No more than any "emergency" that pops up around your home. How often do you go running to your electrical panel in your home? Any on/off or emergency switch you should need while brewing should be mounted on your panel.

#190 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:42 AM

No more than any "emergency" that pops up around your home. How often do you go running to your electrical panel in your home? Any on/off or emergency switch you should need while brewing should be mounted on your panel.

LOL - before I bought my new stove, a handful of times a year when the element wouldn't turn off.

#191 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:27 AM

LOL - before I bought my new stove, a handful of times a year when the element wouldn't turn off.

Well that's interesting.

#192 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:12 AM

Yeah, kind of scary.

#193 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:26 AM

Been considering going Electric for years and I think this is going to be the year to take the plug.  

I'm installing a 100A sub panel in my garage so I'll have 240V to work with.  I primarily brew 5 gallon batches with the occasional 10 gallon.  I'll be retro fitting my 3-keggle system with a 5500w element in the HLT and BK.  I have a march pump today as well that I'll incorporate in.  

Process wise I batch sparge today and get around 75% efficiency.  Considering moving to fly sparging and a HERMS system as part of the move to pick up a little more temp control and efficiency.  I could always do this as a phase 2 after getting it running.

For elements I'm not finding 5500w elements with 2" TC's out there only 1.5" TC's.  I like the idea of using TC's as opposed to threaded fittings but other than the 1/2" I presume the 1.5" TC's work as well as the 2"?

For controls I'm looking at either the Auber EZboil DSPR120 or 200 Series PID from Electric Brewing.  Anybody have experience with these units and know if one is any better than the other?  

Next control box wiring.  Thinking I'll only ever need to have 1 element on at a time so do I wire up a 2nd SSR to the controller, isolate which one has power (BK or HLT) with switches, and switch the controller from mashing to boiling when it's time or do I just use the controller for the MT/HLT/HERMS rig and wire up the BK element with a SSVR and dial like this one.  Leaning towards the SSVR route for simplicity even if I'm underutilizing the PID.  

Haven't bought anything yet but probably going to start doing so in the next week or so.  Totally open to opinions, better ways, or points I'm maybe missing.  Free time has gotten harder to come by so the objective of all of this is to make brewing easier, faster, and more efficient overall so I can brew more often.

#194 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:44 AM

2" tri-clamp element https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1  out of stock I assume because of Covid.  The 1.5" will work.

I had a modified HERMS back in the day.  It was in a little cooler with its own element.  I liked that well enough but never liked the HERMS that were in a HLT.  I did not want to have to keep that filled with warm water.  Personal prefrence.

#195 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:19 AM

2" tri-clamp element https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1  out of stock I assume because of Covid.  The 1.5" will work.

I had a modified HERMS back in the day.  It was in a little cooler with its own element.  I liked that well enough but never liked the HERMS that were in a HLT.  I did not want to have to keep that filled with warm water.  Personal prefrence.

That's the element I was looking at.  It would figure that the 5500w elements with 2" TC's are out of stock while the 2" radius faced TC solder flanges are in stock and the 5500w elements with the 1.5" TC's are in stock while the 1.5" radius faced TC solder flanges are out of stock  :angry:

I agree on the HERMS but was thinking if I kept the coil low in the kettle I could run it half full and then use the majority of that volume for the sparge water.

#196 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:23 AM

That's the element I was looking at.  It would figure that the 5500w elements with 2" TC's are out of stock while the 2" radius faced TC solder flanges are in stock and the 5500w elements with the 1.5" TC's are in stock while the 1.5" radius faced TC solder flanges are out of stock  :angry:

I agree on the HERMS but was thinking if I kept the coil low in the kettle I could run it half full and then use the majority of that volume for the sparge water.

Have you thought of the weldless 1.5" triclamp fittings?

#197 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:51 AM

Have you thought of the weldless 1.5" triclamp fittings?

Nope.  But if I want to get this done anytime soon I might have to.  

#198 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:22 AM

Nope.  But if I want to get this done anytime soon I might have to.  

I got one from Amazon for a fermenter and they were nice quality.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by HVB, 07 April 2020 - 07:22 AM.

#199 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:29 AM

Been considering going Electric for years and I think this is going to be the year to take the plug.  

I'm installing a 100A sub panel in my garage so I'll have 240V to work with.  I primarily brew 5 gallon batches with the occasional 10 gallon.  I'll be retro fitting my 3-keggle system with a 5500w element in the HLT and BK.  I have a march pump today as well that I'll incorporate in.  

Process wise I batch sparge today and get around 75% efficiency.  Considering moving to fly sparging and a HERMS system as part of the move to pick up a little more temp control and efficiency.  I could always do this as a phase 2 after getting it running.

For elements I'm not finding 5500w elements with 2" TC's out there only 1.5" TC's.  I like the idea of using TC's as opposed to threaded fittings but other than the 1/2" I presume the 1.5" TC's work as well as the 2"?

For controls I'm looking at either the Auber EZboil DSPR120 or 200 Series PID from Electric Brewing.  Anybody have experience with these units and know if one is any better than the other?  

Next control box wiring.  Thinking I'll only ever need to have 1 element on at a time so do I wire up a 2nd SSR to the controller, isolate which one has power (BK or HLT) with switches, and switch the controller from mashing to boiling when it's time or do I just use the controller for the MT/HLT/HERMS rig and wire up the BK element with a SSVR and dial like this one.  Leaning towards the SSVR route for simplicity even if I'm underutilizing the PID.  

Haven't bought anything yet but probably going to start doing so in the next week or so.  Totally open to opinions, better ways, or points I'm maybe missing.  Free time has gotten harder to come by so the objective of all of this is to make brewing easier, faster, and more efficient overall so I can brew more often.

I have an option for you that would save you some free time, but at a cost. If you would like a turn key panel check this one out. I have another half way through the build. https://brews-bros.c...-control-panel/

#200 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:54 AM

Roll yer own

tc20eea_1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users