Photo
- - - - -

Any of you guys in the FB German Brewing group see the latest?

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#221 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:23 AM

Williams brewing right?  Ordered yesterday?  Cali - limbo in a two days with priority maybe

even though I picked flat rate shipping I think it ended up being USPS priority when they e-mailed me the tracking number.  now that I don't have access to my e-mail I can't double check :P

#222 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

Anyone notice the part of the paper where it called for the grain to be "conditioned" with 1-2% water (by weight). So a 10-pound grist (160 ounces) can be conditioned with 1.6 to 3.2 ounces of water. I have never done this. So you have your grain in a bucket unmilled and you pour water over it and work it in with your hands? Then mill it? Interesting.

#223 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Anyone notice the part of the paper where it called for the grain to be "conditioned" with 1-2% water (by weight). So a 10-pound grist (160 ounces) can be conditioned with 1.6 to 3.2 ounces of water. I have never done this. So you have your grain in a bucket unmilled and you pour water over it and work it in with your hands? Then mill it? Interesting.

I believe most people use a spray bottle and mix while spraying to get it evenly distributed.  it's supposed to help keep the husks intact.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 29 April 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#224 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

doing a little reading about malt conditioning I'm not so sure it's something I would bother with.  that's just me though.

the main reason I would consider it is if it reduced astringency (and I felt I had an astringency problem).  I don't know that there is any evidence that it accomplishes this.  I'd be glad to read about it though if someone knows of a source.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 29 April 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#225 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:04 AM

Yeah, I noticed that and the No Sparge recommendation, because that's what I do. They interpret that as a reduction in Oxygen, but I interpret it as a reduction in tannin. Reducing the tannin made what seemed like a big difference in the malt profile of my GermanLagers.

#226 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, I noticed that and the No Sparge recommendation, because that's what I do. They interpret that as a reduction in Oxygen, but I interpret it as a reduction in tannin. Reducing the tannin made what seemed like a big difference in the malt profile of my GermanLagers.

how did you test it though? ;)

eta:  I would say it might matter on what your crush was like to begin with.  I certainly do not mill to a fine powder.  maybe you are looking to close the gap on your mill b/c you are doing no sparge beer?  I guess I would be interested to hear what your grist is like with and without the conditioning.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 29 April 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#227 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

So, Marshall, Annie and I have been talking about ways to test the theory.  As part of that, Annie contacted a real, award winning German brewer...imagine that!  We're waiting for permission to release his name and the full text he sent us, but I can tell you it included frequent use of the phrase BS and concluded "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".  He made it clear that's what happens in German breweries.

#228 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

So, Marshall, Annie and I have been talking about ways to test the theory.  As part of that, Annie contacted a real, award winning German brewer...imagine that!  We're waiting for permission to release his name and the full text he sent us, but I can tell you it included frequent use of the phrase BS and concluded "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".  He made it clear that's what happens in German breweries.

I should print out the manifesto and bring it to your buddy Horst and see if I can get some feedback from him :D

#229 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

* pops popcorn *

#230 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

I really thought we had a popcorn emoticon.

#231 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

how did you test it though? ;)

eta:  I would say it might matter on what your crush was like to begin with.  I certainly do not mill to a fine powder.  maybe you are looking to close the gap on your mill b/c you are doing no sparge beer?  I guess I would be interested to hear what your grist is like with and without the conditioning.

Not scientific in any way. But I wasn't trying to change the way people make beer, just trying to solve an obvious problem in my own brewery. Of course, that doesn't stop me from recommending it as a possible way to reduce tannin. :)

I crush pretty fine, not crazy fine, though, I don't think. However, I also need to store my grain with desiccant, or it rots. Rehydrating the husks makes a visually dramatic difference in the quality of the husks that it might not make if you store your grain at high humidity. 

#232 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

I really thought we had a popcorn emoticon.

Just for you.  I am hoping the information Denny is talking about gets released.

male29-male-theater-cinema-smiley-emotic

#233 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

That last line should read "that's NOT what happens on German breweries".

Just for you.  I am hoping the information Denny is talking about gets released.

male29-male-theater-cinema-smiley-emotic

One way or another, I'm sure it will.

#234 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

That last line should read "that's NOT what happens on German breweries".

One way or another, I'm sure it will.

Also,  I imagine this is a commercial German brewer not a German homebrewer.

#235 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

Also,  I imagine this is a commercial German brewer not a German homebrewer.

That is correct.  An award winning German commercial brewer.

#236 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

That is what I thought and just wanted to make sure because I think there is an important difference.

Now I got back to waiting....and thinking about beer.

#237 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

Not scientific in any way. But I wasn't trying to change the way people make beer, just trying to solve an obvious problem in my own brewery. Of course, that doesn't stop me from recommending it as a possible way to reduce tannin. :)

I crush pretty fine, not crazy fine, though, I don't think. However, I also need to store my grain with desiccant, or it rots. Rehydrating the husks makes a visually dramatic difference in the quality of the husks that it might not make if you store your grain at high humidity. 

in the winter the humidity is pretty low in my house.  in the summer a little higher.

I'm not really sure if tannins are an issue here.  I mean, if they are it isn't obvious.  if they can present themselves in more subtle ways I might not really know it until it was gone.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 29 April 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#238 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

That is what I thought and just wanted to make sure because I think there is an important difference.

Now I got back to waiting....and thinking about beer.

I often say that there is often little correlation between what a homebrewer and commercial brewer do.  But in this case, since these guys are trying to recreate commercial beer, I though it might be more applicable.

#239 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

It better not be Eric Toft from Schönram. He's an American! :frantic:

#240 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

I often say that there is often little correlation between what a homebrewer and commercial brewer do.  But in this case, since these guys are trying to recreate commercial beer, I though it might be more applicable.

I agree with both of those points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users