Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel clone - let's figure it out!

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#81 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:56 AM

still waiting for the beer to clear up :stabby:

#82 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:45 AM

No, you're just shooting for something in the Alpha Amylase range. I don't sweat it if I hit 158-162 F. Don't worry about it too much. You're probably going to get a similar effect even from 155-165 F, and you're certainly not going to ruin the beer if you miss, in that window. I find it easier to hit an step temperature than to hit an initial infusion temperature, though, and I usually hit it within a degree or so. After all, there are fewer variables in a step infusion.  I recommend getting a good read on the temperature of the mash before the infusion, though. If the temperature actually drops more than you think it does, you can be way off. 

These days, even continental malts run so hot that mash temp makes less difference than it used to.

#83 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

These days, even continental malts run so hot that mash temp makes less difference than it used to.

what do you mean by hot?

#84 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16653 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

I think he means enzymatically active. DP.

#85 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

I think he means enzymatically active. DP.

I figured something along those lines but I'm not quite sure how that ties in.  wouldn't higher temperatures still favor the formation of more complex sugars?

#86 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

I figured something along those lines but I'm not quite sure how that ties in.  wouldn't higher temperatures still favor the formation of more complex sugars?

Theoretically, having high amylase activity could mean that, as heat degrades the enzymes, more activity would be remaining at any given point in time. In practice, I find that raising temperature still increases the body of beers on which I've tested it. Perhaps pertinent here, those beers have all contained substantial amounts of higher kilned malts, like Pale Ale Malt, Munich or Mild Malt, which would be expected to have lower DP.

#87 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:12 AM

Theoretically, having high amylase activity could mean that, as heat degrades the enzymes, more activity would be remaining at any given point in time. In practice, I find that raising temperature still increases the body of beers on which I've tested it. Perhaps pertinent here, those beers have all contained substantial amounts of higher kilned malts, like Pale Ale Malt, Munich or Mild Malt, which would be expected to have lower DP.

as you may have noticed earlier I ended up around 1.012 which does seem slightly higher than I would typically expect but I'm not familiar with this yeast.

#88 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:29 AM

I try to get it a little lower, but that is within the style guidelines and it should be fine. If it ever clears.

#89 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

I try to get it a little lower, but that is within the style guidelines and it should be fine.

do you think ayinger has a lower FG than 1.012?  I would have expected it to be higher.

If it ever clears.

GOING RIGHT FOR THE JUGULAR! :lol:

it's showing signs of getting clearer.  my guess is in about another week it will be pretty clear.  another week or 2 after that fairly crystal.

#90 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16653 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:58 AM

do you think ayinger has a lower FG than 1.012?  I would have expected it to be higher.

From Ayinger's website the beer is 12.8º and 5% abv that works out to be about FG1.014

https://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=117

#91 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:05 AM

From Ayinger's website the beer is 12.8º and 5% abv that works out to be about FG1.014

https://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=117

I realize I actually had read that now that I see it.  I think 1.012 will still be good.

#92 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16653 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

I think 1.012 will still be good.

Nope. It's ruined. :)

Send to nettles for proper disposal.

Edited by nettles, 02 April 2015 - 06:13 AM.

#93 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:13 AM

Nope. It's ruined. :)

Send to nettles for proper disposal.

well if you say.....  wait a minute!!!

#94 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:36 AM

I realize I actually had read that now that I see it.  I think 1.012 will still be good.

Yeah, it's a well attenuated 1.014, so it will be great at 1.012. I've never tried to actually clone this beer, and I tend to make them on the dryer side, because one thing that can ruin a Dunkel is for it to be sweet. Better to start out too dry and modify the recipe the next time, than to make it too sweet and never want to make it again. At least that's my philosophy.

#95 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:07 AM

it's not what I would consider sweet so that is good.  my last munich dunkel was made with pretty much 100% munich and that was a little sweet.  this one will be much better I think.  every day it tastes a little less yeasty.  right now the carbonation is a little harsh and needs to smooth out.

#96 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:48 AM

clear damn you!  so something is missing compared to the real beer.  maybe a higher mash temp is required.  maybe decoction matters after all (if they even do one).  I'm not really sure how they achieved such richness and body.

#97 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16653 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:46 AM

clear damn you!  so something is missing compared to the real beer.  maybe a higher mash temp is required.  maybe decoction matters after all (if they even do one).  I'm not really sure how they achieved such richness and body.

They are doing something over there. Their "Braüweisse" is damn near full bodied and that is a 1.048-->1.009 beer.

#98 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

are you against gel of bio-fine?

#99 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:13 AM

are you against gel of bio-fine?

i've used gel in the past but lately it hasn't been necessary.  I'm probably being a little impatient honestly.

#100 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18070 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

i've used gel in the past but lately it hasn't been necessary.  I'm probably being a little impatient honestly.

Then relax and have some chinook/citra .. or pliny clone .. or that stout. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users