125 replies to this topic

#81 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

so I bought one those HD pressurized sprayer things. Now I just need to get a post on there!

Get on that!

#82 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

Get on that!

so looking at it - you actually cut the threaded part clean off right?  b/c that threaded part is much smaller than the inside of the post.

#83 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:03 AM

so i cut the threaded part off the green part.  I cannot for the life of me get a post to really secure on there - the threads just don't bite into the plastic.  what's the trick?

And I clean and sanitize it with one of these. It takes a couple of minutes.

Posted Image

so if I can't get the drez method to work for me this is plan B.  where did you get that fitting and is there anything else to it?

edit: nm I see you didn't use that brass piece.  I hate to try to go right onto the black thread b/c if that fails the whole sprayer is trash.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 27 December 2014 - 06:04 AM.

#84 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

The brass piece is available at HD. I will try and find you the part number.

#85 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:57 AM

I feel like I have it so close to sealing up with your method.  it's a slow drip - I may just live with it.

#86 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

More Teflon tape

#87 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14736 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

I would brew whatever way you think you are going to end up brewing the most. Extract is easy enough and there's nothing wrong with it, but it's like riding a bike, don't worry about the brewing so much, you'll be able to do it no matter what. Now, if you are buying all new equipment then I'd say ease into it.

My only true "need" is to get a mash tun. Easy enough with a cooler, but I'd like to do something better. I wonder if that Mash Hawk is still available. I always liked the design and specs of that thing

#88 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

More Teflon tape

no threads for it to go into really.

#89 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

post 2  https://www.homebrew...cleaner-226497/

Posted Image

#90 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

My only true "need" is to get a mash tun. Easy enough with a cooler, but I'd like to do something better. I wonder if that Mash Hawk is still available. I always liked the design and specs of that thing

You can do something different than a cooler, but that doesn't mean it's better!

#91 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

sweet!  so the question is - what kind of post do I have and/or does it matter?

#92 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

I averaged a batch a month last year and I aim to do the same this coming year. I would like to continue to find ways to simplify my brew day and days leading up to... I also aspire to continue perfecting everybody's favorite; my house Saison.

Outta the gate before the new year - I moved my brewing to the garage from the more scenic pool area. I did my first batch and had all my stuff within reach instead to traipsing stuff through the house. Big step in simplifying the brew day. Next up, running a water line from hot water heater to the front of the garage.

#93 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14736 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

You can do something different than a cooler, but that doesn't mean it's better!

Different should have been the word I used. Coolers work great.I would ideally like something made of a material that is declared to be food safe at mash temps. I know many say it is fine, but it's mostly anecdotal. I have never seen any cooler manufacturer say so. Stainless presents it's own issues because it lacks heat retention properties.

#94 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

someone was just watching me mash in tonight and was asking similar safety questions.  kind of half jokingly but all the same...

#95 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

Different should have been the word I used. Coolers work great.I would ideally like something made of a material that is declared to be food safe at mash temps. I know many say it is fine, but it's mostly anecdotal. I have never seen any cooler manufacturer say so.Stainless presents it's own issues because it lacks heat retention properties.

someone was just watching me mash in tonight and was asking similar safety questions.  kind of half jokingly but all the same...

An interesting series on homebrew toxicology from Basic Brewing Radio. Issues with plastic, sanitizers and other materials discussed at length with a toxicologist.

Part 1. Streaming mp3

Part 2. Streaming mp3

Part 3. Streaming mp3

#96 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14736 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

Will give them a listen. What was the synopsis?

#97 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

Will give them a listen. What was the synopsis?

Without listening, my guess coming from a toxicologists, ZOMG

#98 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16666 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

Without listening, my guess coming from a toxicologists, ZOMG

Nope. Basically, IIRC (I listened to it quite a while ago) my take away message from him was that concerns about plastics tended to be overblown. Same with sanitizers as long as they were being used according to instructions.

#99 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:32 AM

Nope. Basically, IIRC (I listened to it quite a while ago) my take away message from him was that concerns about plastics tended to be overblown. Same with sanitizers as long as they were being used according to instructions.

Kinda like Fermcap then.  :)

#100 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14736 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:40 AM

I listened last night. The guy said he discussed plastics with an expert on toxicity in plastic polymers. He basically said that anything that will leach from a cooler in hot water would also leach from the cooler just as readily in cold water. Therefore, if a cooler is rated as safe for drinking water, it should be fine for mashing - so long as the plastic isn't melting. He also talked about the fact that those coolers should be made from new/virgin plastics.He said he could NOT recommend the use of hardware store buckets for liquid food contact, as those are not food safe, may be made from recycled plastics, and may contain pigments that are not food safe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users