#41 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

I want to brew a helluva lot more than I have the last couple of years.  Should be easy because that is a pretty low bar.

#42 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

One more goal to add:

Minimize my commercial beer purchases and focus that money on brewing supplies.

#43 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

One more goal to add:Minimize my commercial beer purchases and focus that money on brewing supplies.

Good idea. I have pretty much gave up on seeking out and trying all these different beers that show up. Most of the time I just think to myself that I could brew that or better.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

Good idea. I have pretty much gave up on seeking out and trying all these different beers that show up. Most of the time I just think to myself that I could brew that or better.

That hit it on the head.  I have just been let down by some beers recently and when I think about a 12-14 4-pack here or there that is enough to brew a batch.

#45 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

I like to try some commercial stuff to get new ideas for beers. I don't actively go after "rare" beers though. 

#46 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

I like to try some commercial stuff to get new ideas for beers. I don't actively go after "rare" beers though. 

I am not even talking about "rare" or hyped beers.

#47 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

I am not even talking about "rare" or hyped beers.

My problem is that my brewery and all my beer is at my FIL's house, so I have to go over there to drink my beer (which I am more than happy to do, we get along like two peas in a pod). So I buy some commercial stuff for the house, but like I said, I try and focus it to beers or styles I haven't had before.

#48 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

My problem is that my brewery and all my beer is at my FIL's house, so I have to go over there to drink my beer (which I am more than happy to do, we get along like two peas in a pod). So I buy some commercial stuff for the house, but like I said, I try and focus it to beers or styles I haven't had before.

A beer gun should be on your christmas list. It's easy to use and the beer holds up really well.

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

I get let down by commercial beers/bottled product a lot too. Less so if bought and consumed at the source or at least fresh on someone's tap. I do like to buy beers that incorporate ingredients or flavors that I have not used. Someone's single hop offering is a great way to learn about a hop without having to use it. Also, sour/brett beers because I havent made any yet.

#50 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

A beer gun should be on your christmas list. It's easy to use and the beer holds up really well.

I have one and have used it extensively. For instance, I bottled 6 cases of Kolsch for wedding favors. Took forever - 30 seconds/bottle with two people. I'm not gonna bottle my beer for my own consumption though. I'm too lazy for that, I'm a sanitation freak, I have to clean and sanitize the beer gun before and after (clean only) each session for my own personal mental satisfaction. Otherwise I worry about the beer spoiling. I give away a lot of beer and it's important to me that I don't give out bad beer.

#51 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

The last few posts I'm on board. I will buy less commercial and focus on mine

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:03 AM

I have one and have used it extensively. For instance, I bottled 6 cases of Kolsch for wedding favors. Took forever - 30 seconds/bottle with two people. I'm not gonna bottle my beer for my own consumption though. I'm too lazy for that, I'm a sanitation freak, I have to clean and sanitize the beer gun before and after (clean only) each session for my own personal mental satisfaction. Otherwise I worry about the beer spoiling. I give away a lot of beer and it's important to me that I don't give out bad beer.

I should probably invest in a method that's better for filling bottles.  oxidation is my main enemy when giving out homebrew.  30 seconds/bottle doesn't even sound that bad to me!  how bad is the clean up of the gun after?

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:10 AM

I should probably invest in a method that's better for filling bottles.  oxidation is my main enemy when giving out homebrew.  30 seconds/bottle doesn't even sound that bad to me!  how bad is the clean up of the gun after?

Not bad at all imo.  It all breaks down so it is small and easy to clean.  I need to use mine more, now that I found it again.  I loose a lot of beer when I try filling via taps, I have had decent luck with a cobra tap and bottling wand though.

Posted Image

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:23 AM

why are there two big tubes?  is one for co2?

#55 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:25 AM

why are there two big tubes?  is one for co2?

CO2 is attached with teh flare fitting and the beer hose goes on the smaller of the 2 tubes.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by drez77, 24 December 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#56 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

so when you use these how low does the pressure in the keg need to be?  that's one thing I hate about filling bottles is having to bleed off all of that CO2 just to fill one or two bottles.  it seems like a waste (not that CO2 is that pricy).

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:47 AM

so when you use these how low does the pressure in the keg need to be?  that's one thing I hate about filling bottles is having to bleed off all of that CO2 just to fill one or two bottles.  it seems like a waste (not that CO2 is that pricy).

You bleed off all the co2 in the keg and then have the BG set to 3psi and the keg set to the same, I have a jumper set up so I just have one CO2 source and it goes to both the BG and the keg.  So, in the end it would be similar to what you experience now.

I have not used a CP filler in a long time, I think you can do that at a higher pressure.

#58 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:03 AM

I don't bleed off the pressure. My beer gun has about 10' of tubing. I can fill bottles and growlers with 12-15# of pressure and no foaming.

#59 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:07 AM

I don't bleed off the pressure. My beer gun has about 10' of tubing. I can fill bottles and growlers with 12-15# of pressure and no foaming.

Interesting, I have as much tubing or maybe more and have foaming issues. 

#60 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:26 AM

And I clean and sanitize it with one of these. It takes a couple of minutes.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users