2586 replies to this topic

#1741 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:51 AM

Just had a couple of these- its a Zeltbier; nothing but German pils and Hallertau tradition. Its 6%, single decocted and a used the quick lager method- this is about 2 weeks "lagered" in the keezer. I gelled the beer after a cold crash. It'll clear up soon enough, but its drinking nice- bready malt and earthy hops. Its a beer that can be drank by the liter. 

Zelt.jpg

Sounds like my kind of beer.  Yeast?  Hop schedule?  

#1742 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

Sounds like my kind of beer.  Yeast?  Hop schedule?  

Yeast was Wyeast 2278. 60 minute boil.

60- Hallertau Tradition- 2.3 AAU

30- Hallertau Miff-         2.3 AAU

15 Tettneg -                  4 AAU 

#1743 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

Yeast was Wyeast 2278. 60 minute boil.

60- Hallertau Tradition- 2.3 AAU

30- Hallertau Miff-         2.3 AAU

15 Tettneg -                  4 AAU 

Oooh, timely.  My next lager yeast will be 2278 and I already have a couple of beers planned for it.  I can't see what separates this beer from other gold, German lagers but I like it.  I would probably dial it down just a smidge so it wasn't 6% but I could easily see this working.  The only Google results I found for Zeltbier is from Victory in PA and the description sounds like a Marzen/Festbier.  

#1744 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:05 AM

Oooh, timely.  My next lager yeast will be 2278 and I already have a couple of beers planned for it.  I can't see what separates this beer from other gold, German lagers but I like it.  I would probably dial it down just a smidge so it wasn't 6% but I could easily see this working.  The only Google results I found for Zeltbier is from Victory in PA and the description sounds like a Marzen/Festbier.  

Exactly. this was a recipe I found in a BYO article; This is a brewpub only release from them; I had it a couple years back when I was in the Downingtown area, and stopped in, and was blown away by that particular beer. By style, its a festbier; they also distribute a beer called "Festbier", but its a super malty Marzen- while good, its on the heavy end of the marzen style; full bodied and super malty; best I can describe as a dry, just short of a single bock. This beer, you could have a 2nd liter before you realize it. 

#1745 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:33 AM

Mmm.  Thanks for that.   :chug:

#1746 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

Oh, the simplicity.  This is so where my head is at these days.  Quality base malts and nary a crystal.  Highly quaffable.

#1747 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:50 AM

Oh, the simplicity. This is so where my head is at these days. Quality base malts and nary a crystal. Highly quaffable.

Oh yeah. Use some Barke for this and up the quality level.

#1748 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:01 PM

^^ schwing

#1749 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:04 AM

Jeez!

and honestly, how do you think it compares to other ales you've had made with something like say, and english ale yeast or an American Ale II? I did a little reading after your comment and people are saying it's fruit forward, so I'm imagining estery, but no ones says anything as a downside. Is this some kind of holy grail yeast? If I could have an ale yeast that ferments at almost any temperature cleanly, I'd start a house yeast with it!

Also, if you used it in something like an NEIPA, I wonder if the esters would be covered up by all the late, fruity hops.  Drez sent me some NEIPAs and they were the first I ever tried.  I mentioned it was like drinking a fruit smoothie because there was almost NO bitterness and then there were so many fruity hops added at the end.  Plus... just the look of it, foamy, creamy, etc.  I can't imagine anyone could taste that and get esters through all of that other flavor but maybe.  I'll have to live vicariously through the rest of you guys... I'm probably not trying the 90° yeast.  :lol:

I really need to make something plain where the yeast is prominent...both low & high temp ferments. The heavy hopping certainly keeps its contribution from being obvious, though hopefully it's adding another dimension to the fruit.

Assuming it's clean at lower temps, it would be a great yeast to have around during warmer months. I could skip the swamp cooler in the basement.

#1750 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:12 AM

I really need to make something plain where the yeast is prominent...both low & high temp ferments. The heavy hopping certainly keeps its contribution from being obvious, though hopefully it's adding another dimension to the fruit.

Assuming it's clean at lower temps, it would be a great yeast to have around during warmer months. I could skip the swamp cooler in the basement.

Sometimes I'll have a nice lager yeast going and I'll have a beer that's low-hopped like a helles, Vienna or Festbier.  On those beers the yeast character is really coming through.  That pale bock I brought to Dave's house was like that and had a great yeast in it (Augustiner's yeast).  But if I make a pilsner or an amber lager with some late hops, you lose that yeast character.  The beer is still great but the finish is more hops than yeast.  A lower hopped-beer would give you a really good view of the yeast's true character.  

#1751 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:51 AM

NE IPA - that foam lasts! Norwegian yeast (Hornindal Kveik from Omega - fermented into the 90's.)

Threw in a package of Hornindal with my order for Staro today.  Look forward to seeing what it can do in my house apa.

#1752 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

My Oktoberfest lager is now in the kill zone.  Clear, bright, malty, clean, balanced and delicious.  It's hard to stay away from it.  :lol:

2qwo6pz.jpg

#1753 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:22 AM

Delicious

#1754 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:55 AM

Started to put a hurtin' on this keg- made it about two months ago- Call it "Everything Went Black IBA". your typical India Black ale; boat load of Warrior, Simcoe and Apollo in the boil, and a Apollo and Jarrlyo Dry hop. big hop flavor with a kiss of roast. Fermented with WLP007, finished at 6%, and still a hop bomb. 

Everythingwentblack.jpg

#1755 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hoppy Pilsner on a nice crisp fall afternoon. Pils, Vienna and Carafoam with 5oz of Hallertau  from 15-0 and a bit of Magnum to bitter.

43952325_10158085333374657_1513700879184

#1756 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:11 PM

Hoppy Pilsner on a nice crisp fall afternoon. Pils, Vienna and Carafoam with 5oz of Hallertau from 15-0 and a bit of Magnum to bitter.

43952325_10158085333374657_1513700879184

NOICE!!

#1757 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

Thanks Brother Ken.
90% Pilsner, 5 carapils and 5 Vienna. Half ounce - 16 IBU Magnum at 20 and a couple ounces Hall-Mit - 6 IBU at 5. 34/70 for the hard part. Needing a light beer for the heat. First BIAB came out pretty good.

that's a freaking beauty

#1758 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:17 PM

Thanks to drezz and his advice on a hop schedule, I made the first Pale Ale I’m enjoying and proud of. Pacific Jade & Mosaic.

62621-B4-A-FA81-4-FBB-8-FC7-B387-E9521-D

#1759 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

:frank:

That looks nice.  I have never used PJ but I did like the APAs that I made with Mosaic.  

#1760 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

Thanks man. I got turned on to PJ from Brother matt as he sent me some local IPA’s with it. Where’s Matt?

Not the best pic and it hasn’t cleared but with beers like these I typically won’t gel them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users