2586 replies to this topic

#1721 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54150 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

Just tapped a glass of "American Lager"... oh that fluffy foam!

2gtzxqs.jpg

#1722 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

Enjoying some freshly dry hopped bitter galaxy.  It will eventually clear I think but I don't really care.

rdnNjWW.jpg

#1723 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:43 AM

Beauty, clear or not

#1724 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

I kind of suspect it's darker than it looks due to the haze.  we'll see though!

#1725 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

Kolsch.   Lot's of humidity lately.  It's nice and clear.  Tasty too.

20181005_164124_resized_zpsfxsjjbjz.jpg

#1726 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:42 AM

43407036_10215589091954467_1958884951063

Black NE IPA

#1727 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54150 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

Nice looking beers, gentlemen.

#1728 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:00 PM

43407036_10215589091954467_1958884951063

Black NE IPA

Is there another made up style you could add in there? :troll:

Kidding! Looks great!

#1729 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

43363889_10215590140940691_2681781629776

NE IPA - that foam lasts! Norwegian yeast (Hornindal Kveik from Omega - fermented into the 90's.)

#1730 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:06 PM

Is there another made up style you could add in there? :troll:

Kidding! Looks great!

You're not wrong...left out the Norwegian yeast descriptor, lol...Norwengland IBA maybe?

#1731 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16667 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

So do you like what the Norwegian yeast brought to the beer or is it pretty much just a clean ale yeast?

#1732 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:11 AM

So do you like what the Norwegian yeast brought to the beer or is it pretty much just a clean ale yeast?

Too much whirlpool/dry hopping to really get a good feel for the yeast contribution, though very impressed that it fermented as hot as it did w/o off flavors. Resulting beer is very citrusy/fruity so it at least compliments the NE style.

I want to do another run with it in something simpler where the yeast can show; maybe a split batch where one ferments warm and the other cool. 

A brewpub about an hour from here used one of the Norwegian strains in a Festbier - I was close to running over to try it to see how that turned out but didn't make it.

#1733 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:20 AM

Bus, you fermented in the 90s!? Jeez I gotta check this yeast out. Was it crazy active?

#1734 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

Bus, you fermented in the 90s!? Jeez I gotta check this yeast out. Was it crazy active?

Yep...ambient temp in the garage was mid/high 80's so ferm temp was over 90 I'm sure. Visible foam/ferm activity within an hour. Didn't build too foam though it was churning away. The Hornindal was faster & finished drier than the Voss.

http://https://omega...ornindal-kveik

#1735 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:22 AM

Jeez!

and honestly, how do you think it compares to other ales you've had made with something like say, and english ale yeast or an American Ale II? I did a little reading after your comment and people are saying it's fruit forward, so I'm imagining estery, but no ones says anything as a downside. Is this some kind of holy grail yeast? If I could have an ale yeast that ferments at almost any temperature cleanly, I'd start a house yeast with it!

#1736 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54150 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:37 AM

Jeez!

and honestly, how do you think it compares to other ales you've had made with something like say, and english ale yeast or an American Ale II? I did a little reading after your comment and people are saying it's fruit forward, so I'm imagining estery, but no ones says anything as a downside. Is this some kind of holy grail yeast? If I could have an ale yeast that ferments at almost any temperature cleanly, I'd start a house yeast with it!

Also, if you used it in something like an NEIPA, I wonder if the esters would be covered up by all the late, fruity hops.  Drez sent me some NEIPAs and they were the first I ever tried.  I mentioned it was like drinking a fruit smoothie because there was almost NO bitterness and then there were so many fruity hops added at the end.  Plus... just the look of it, foamy, creamy, etc.  I can't imagine anyone could taste that and get esters through all of that other flavor but maybe.  I'll have to live vicariously through the rest of you guys... I'm probably not trying the 90° yeast.  :lol:

#1737 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:40 AM

Also, if you used it in something like an NEIPA, I wonder if the esters would be covered up by all the late, fruity hops.  Drez sent me some NEIPAs and they were the first I ever tried.  I mentioned it was like drinking a fruit smoothie because there was almost NO bitterness and then there were so many fruity hops added at the end.  Plus... just the look of it, foamy, creamy, etc.  I can't imagine anyone could taste that and get esters through all of that other flavor but maybe.  I'll have to live vicariously through the rest of you guys... I'm probably not trying the 90° yeast.  :lol:

To be honest, a big part of NEIPAs is the esters in the yeast acting with the hops to create flavors that you can not get alone.  Those TH beers are rumored to use 3 different yeast to achieve the esters they want.  I plan to give this yeast a try.  I have read up on it for a long time just have not had time.

#1738 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54150 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:13 AM

To be honest, a big part of NEIPAs is the esters in the yeast acting with the hops to create flavors that you can not get alone.  Those TH beers are rumored to use 3 different yeast to achieve the esters they want.  I plan to give this yeast a try.  I have read up on it for a long time just have not had time.

Okay, that makes sense.  Esters are fruity after all and I suppose some are more likely to fall in line with your hops.  Fruity hops plus yeast at high temps to create more fruit.  No wonder I thought I was drinking a smoothie.  :lol:

#1739 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:29 AM

Okay, that makes sense.  Esters are fruity after all and I suppose some are more likely to fall in line with your hops.  Fruity hops plus yeast at high temps to create more fruit.  No wonder I thought I was drinking a smoothie.  :lol:

The thick mouthfeel helps with that too.  I prefer ones that do no have that think mouthfeel these days.  

Sorry for the OT discussion.:)

#1740 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

Just had a couple of these- its a Zeltbier; nothing but German pils and Hallertau tradition. Its 6%, single decocted and a used the quick lager method- this is about 2 weeks "lagered" in the keezer. I gelled the beer after a cold crash. It'll clear up soon enough, but its drinking nice- bready malt and earthy hops. Its a beer that can be drank by the liter. 

Zelt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users