#121 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

I used a large step bit. The SS housing already had a fairly large hole for the strain relief. I just opened it up a couple of sizes, maybe to 1" or so? I can't remember would have to check when I get home.

1 1/8 is what I ended up with. My step bit didnt go that big so I used a hole saw bit. I knew the trouble I would run into using it but its all I had. 

#122 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

1 1/8 is what I ended up with. My step bit didnt go that big so I used a hole saw bit. I knew the trouble I would run into using it but its all I had. 

How thick was it?  Would a conduit punch have worked?

#123 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

How thick was it?  Would a conduit punch have worked?

However thick the enclosure box is. 16 gauge maybe. Either place you put the procons its still the same size. I'm doing my hookups a little different but might steal some of Matt's idea, again.   :)

I could of taken my box over to a buddies house and had him do it for me but it would of slowed my progress and scheduling.  So I closed my eyes and grabbed the hole saw. I suppose a conduit punch would work for sure a green lee punch would. Even a larger step bit. We are talking the 32 amp grey procon in the pics above. I also added some smaller 20 amp ones for my pumps. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 25 March 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#124 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

How is the MT manifold coming along? 

#125 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

Sitting in pieces in my back seat. Between my schedule and my uncles I haven't been able to find time to get into his shop to use his tig welder. Hopefully soon.

#126 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Alright Blktre, thanks for the reminder. I text my uncle after you said something and was able to catch him at his shop tonight to work on the manifold. I only had a hour or two so I at least got everything fit up. I will try to get it welded sometime later this week or weekend. What do you think?

Posted Image

#127 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Pretty. Will it have a complete cross in the middle or just the one piece?

#128 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Alright Blktre, thanks for the reminder. I text my uncle after you said something and was able to catch him at his shop tonight to work on the manifold. I only had a hour or two so I at least got everything fit up. I will try to get it welded sometime later this week or weekend. What do you think?

Posted Image

Why do you want to weld it?  It's easier to clean if it comes apart.

eta - and you can modify it if you wish.

Edited by djinkc, 25 March 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#129 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Pretty. Will it have a complete cross in the middle or just the one piece?

Just as you see it. I couldn't find any SS crosses. We will see how it goes.

#130 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

Why do you want to weld it? It's easier to clean if it comes apart.eta - and you can modify it if you wish.

I'm not sure how I would keep it held together without welding. Everything us butted together.If I decide to modify I can cut or grind or just build a new one. I only have about $20 into this one.But your right I need to think about how to clean it easily.

#131 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

What about silver soldering? But only one side so it will come apart for cleaning. It would be easier to break it down if needed too. Also instead of crosses what about adding a couple more pipes using tee's at the apex of the circle?

#132 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

What about silver soldering? But only one side so it will come apart for cleaning. It would be easier to break it down if needed too. Also instead of crosses what about adding a couple more pipes using tee's at the apex of the circle?

Sure I could silver solder, but doesn't solve the problem that everything is butted together. The tube does not fit into the tee's and vise versa.I guess I'm not following how I would add more pipes inside the circle without a cross?

#133 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Sure I could silver solder, but doesn't solve the problem that everything is butted together. The tube does not fit into the tee's and vise versa.I guess I'm not following how I would add more pipes inside the circle without a cross?

I was thinking add a up/down pipe and attach your diptube to that. The current side pipes would be cut just wide enough in the middle to allow the new up/down pipe to pass by. Cap the side pipes. Even though those side pipes are capped in the middle of the tun you still will get better coverage of the mash/sparge. Make sense? 

Edited by BlKtRe, 25 March 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#134 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:37 AM

I was thinking add a up/down pipe and attach your diptube to that. The current side pipes would be cut just wide enough in the middle to allow the new up/down pipe to pass by. Cap the side pipes. Even though those side pipes are capped in the middle of the tun you still will get better coverage of the mash/sparge. Make sense?

Ok, I think I'm following. I would need 2 more tee's and will need to find some caps. I always thought having things capped and having the wort travel a greater distance in spots was bad. And I know I've seen manifolds with less coverage than this one, even seen a guy using just a bazooka screen with this setup.Also I was thinking of possibly using small pieces of silicone tubing to hold it all together. But the thing I don't like about that is then it will be held up off the bottom whatever thickness the tubing is.

#135 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Ok, I think I'm following. I would need 2 more tee's and will need to find some caps. I always thought having things capped and having the wort travel a greater distance in spots was bad. And I know I've seen manifolds with less coverage than this one, even seen a guy using just a bazooka screen with this setup.Also I was thinking of possibly using small pieces of silicone tubing to hold it all together. But the thing I don't like about that is then it will be held up off the bottom whatever thickness the tubing is.

Yes, the wort might have to travel around but you would get more coverage. Maybe try it out the way it is and see what your efficiency is like. If you are getting poor numbers then we can revisit this idea. 

I prefer my manifolds to be held off the bottom. Mine are around 1/4". Imo this helps with flow. I've never stuck my manifolds even when using large percentages of sticky flake, maize, or wheat. I actually like the idea of the silicone tubing used as attachments. 

#136 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Well the control panel is officially done done. I have a few pics below. I will hang it at it's final resting place probably tomorrow night and see how well this tv stand is going to work. I still have a bunch of assembly to do on everything else and a few more things to weld on the pots. But after ordering the pumps the other day the only thing left I have to buy are qd's and hose. Getting close now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#137 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18075 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Nice and clean...much cleaner than mine.Coming along nicely!

#138 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

That is amazing. Can't wait to see it in action!

#139 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Which PID is the SWA-2351 and which timer are you using?

#140 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:51 AM

Which PID is the SWA-2351 and which timer are you using?

If your looking at the inside its the one on the very right. I can take a closer pic of that area and try to explain how I wired it. The timer is the newest one the offer with the multi timer events, JSL-73 I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users