267 replies to this topic

#161 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

Again, my dip tube is wide open. I pull off the side of the cone into a plate chiller. I don't understand why people have issues with clogging a plate chiller. If you are worried about the plate chiller being clogged a CFC can be clogged almost as easy. As far as a cleaning a plate its no different than a CFC. I like the smaller footprint of the plate vs a CFC too.

I just like the CFC better and it would take one hell of a clog to block it.  It the end it works better for me and my system and I feel I can clean it better.  I know a plate works for many but it did not work better for me.

#162 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

Well I'm finally finished, for now. There are things I'm still uncertain of how I want them, but for now I'm going to brew and see how it goes. This is a pretty big jump for me. I'm going from a super simple cobbled up batch sparge system to, well just look at the pics. A lot of new things here for me. I have never fly-sparged so I'm sure that will be a challenge. Although I think I might just batch sparge for this first one. I did brew a batch of water last weekend just to see how things would go. It went OK. got a few things to work on and think about. But still ready for the first brew this weekend. Probably just going to do a 5gal. batch of a blonde just to keep it simple and cheap in case I totally screw it up. I will have to fill the HLT to the top even for a 5gal batch I suppose to keep the coil submerged, so I will have to calculate how to treat the whole pot of water vs mash and sparge additions I'm guessing. Should be a fun weekend! I have some final pics of the build over the last month of piecing it together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#163 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

That's really sweet.  You guys would laugh at my simple old school setup.

#164 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

damn,just beautiful

#165 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Looks good Matt. You will never look back once going electric.

#166 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14179 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

Matt, that looks sweet!!!

#167 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:23 AM

Posted Image

I am sure you will trim them after seem test runs but as that hose gets hot it may "fold" over and cut off circulation.

Edited by drez77, 27 June 2014 - 05:24 AM.

#168 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Excellent. You did well. Cant wait to hear how the test batch goes. How did the PID learning go?

Fwiw, I really don't care for my silicone hoses because of the fold issue. When mine need replaced I plan on getting the nylon reinforced silicone hoses or go back to the el cheapo reinforced hose from HD. 

#169 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:16 AM

Excellent. You did well. Cant wait to hear how the test batch goes. How did the PID learning go?

Fwiw, I really don't care for my silicone hoses because of the fold issue. When mine need replaced I plan on getting the nylon reinforced silicone hoses or go back to the el cheapo reinforced hose from HD. 

I can see that.  I have mine cut and routed so I have no issues now, prior to that it was a pain.  I have also made them as short as possible and used 1/2" copper in a lot of places.

#170 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:28 AM

I can see that.  I have mine cut and routed so I have no issues now, prior to that it was a pain.  I have also made them as short as possible and used 1/2" copper in a lot of places.

JMcG has the reinforced silicone. They do not have any fold issues at all. Pricier for sure but will last a long time. 

#171 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

JMcG has the reinforced silicone. They do not have any fold issues at all. Pricier for sure but will last a long time. 

I will be using plain old silicone for a while since I got 75' of it for about 25 bucks on clearnace.

#172 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

During my test run I didn't see any issues with the hoses folding at all. I was even recirculating boiling water. They seem to be very thick walled, got them from brewhardware.com. Time will tell I suppose. The reason that hose coming out of the pump on the right is so long is that I made it long enough to go over the top of the BK and reach the bottom. I have a few more camlocks coming today to redo some things as well.

#173 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

. The reason that hose coming out of the pump on the right is so long is that I made it long enough to go over the top of the BK and reach the bottom. I have a few more camlocks coming today to redo some things as well.

I see.  I just use the whirlpool port on my kettle when I do a transfer.

#174 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

How did the PID learning go?

Good so far. I followed most of the setup on Kal's site and did the auto-tuning on the HLT. I think I have most of the features figured out. Except, which I'm sure you wondering about, the timer feature on the HLT PID. Still haven't looked into that yet.

#175 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

I see. I just use the whirlpool port on my kettle when I do a transfer.

Ok yeah I could do that too I suppose. No issues there when it gets above the level of the port? And I guess that whole hot side aeration thing is still a myth?

#176 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

Matt, that looks sweet!!!

Yeah and I'll be waiting for you to come down and check it out!

#177 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

Spectacular!! Nice work, Matt. As for the hoses, I've never had a problem with silicone hoses (other than how damn expensive they are).

#178 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

Ok yeah I could do that too I suppose. No issues there when it gets above the level of the port? And I guess that whole hot side aeration thing is still a myth?

My port is all the way to the top and goes down.  I have never had an issue doing it this way.

httpss://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9nm2NrncrB8/Uhtw2lipwwI/AAAAAAAADb8/ujzEOPn-4kw/w1155-h866-no/20130825_180528.jpg

#179 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Cool, good to know. I will probably just try that and cut that hose down.And thanks everyone for the kind words!

#180 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

I underlet my wort into the Kettle. Just like I underlet strike water into the Tun. Those valves can go both ways you know. They dont care!  :)

Edited by BlKtRe, 27 June 2014 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users