#81 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

What type of plugs are you using for your probes, elements, and power in?

Also, what will your brewing process be? Just trying to match your front panel to process. 

The probe plugs I will just use what comes with the RTD probes from Auber. The elements I'm going to use Neutrik Powerconn 32a. The pumps I just used an extension cord with the male end cut off and wired directly in. The power in is just one of these hard wired into the panel.

If your wondering about the center/MLT PID it is just for temp read-out and is not controlling anything. The left PID is for the HLT with a element and the right PID is for the BK with a element. The process is no different than any other HERMs system I suppose. Will recirc the mash through the HERMS/HLT and do a batch sparge.

#82 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Looking good Matt, real nice.  Wiring looks awesome, as I would expect from someone with your background.

Thank you sir!

#83 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Ok. But what are the fittings called on the side to clamp down the feed and output wires?

#84 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

Strain reliefs. There are many different types of them. Mine are Hubbels, I got them digging through boxes of junk at a previous job.

#85 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Just ordered my first round of parts. 3 PID's, LED's, switches, timer, and meter for the front panel. Next order will be the box stuff, contactors, relays, ssr's, and power in/out plugs, etc. 

Thanks to those, you know who you are, that got me to this point so far!

#86 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

Nice, always fun when the parts start to arrive. What kind of meter, amps or voltage or both and why? I am always interested to see why people add a meter to their panel.

#87 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Nice, always fun when the parts start to arrive. What kind of meter, amps or voltage or both and why? I am always interested to see why people add a meter to their panel.

I know you've seen mine, but I think I added mine mainly because it's more cool lighted things haha! And out of curiosity really to see the amperage draw.

#88 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

I know you've seen mine, but I think I added mine mainly because it's more cool lighted things haha! And out of curiosity really to see the amperage draw.

I can see that.  It is cool to see what the draw is.

I opted not to have one because I knew that it was built to handle the draw and I did not have the room on my panel.  I have used my clamp meter to verify readings while operating though.

#89 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

I went with the same meter Matt has. I like that its a dual display, cheap, and has its own built in transformer. This meter right here will save a lot of money, parts, and wiring. The main reason I decided to add one is I might be pushing the 80% rated load per code since I plan to use two 5500w elements (HLT, BK) at the same time in one process and a 120v 4000w element (RIMS) and the HLT 5500w element together in another process. So its just something Id be interested in knowing.

#90 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Just ordered my first round of parts. 3 PID's, LED's, switches, timer, and meter for the front panel. Next order will be the box stuff, contactors, relays, ssr's, and power in/out plugs, etc. 

Thanks to those, you know who you are, that got me to this point so far!

Sounds like fun.

#91 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

120v 4000w element (RIMS)

Are you sure about that?

#92 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Are you sure about that?

Should clarify. I have a dual RIMS running two 2000w elements. I haven't decided to run it like that on a separate 120v circuit coming into the box or just add the RIMS to the MT circuit with a single 4000w element as in PJ's design over at Homebrewtalk.

Actually I feel like I robbed Matts thread here with my stuff and questions. I guess I will start my own thread so Matt can keep us informed with all the goodies he has going on. 

#93 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

So between yesterday and today I got a bunch of parts in. Elements, HLT coil, sight glasses and element housings. Also got not pictured all the ball valves, a few more fittings and all the parts to build my manifold. RTD's should be showing up tomorrow. I think after that the only things left I need to purchase will be the pumps, hoses and QD's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by matt6150, 30 January 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#94 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

I like the tri-clamp mounts for the elements. I will upgrade to those if I ever change mine.

#95 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:15 AM

Should clarify. I have a dual RIMS running two 2000w elements. I haven't decided to run it like that on a separate 120v circuit coming into the box or just add the RIMS to the MT circuit with a single 4000w element as in PJ's design over at Homebrewtalk.Actually I feel like I robbed Matts thread here with my stuff and questions. I guess I will start my own thread so Matt can keep us informed with all the goodies he has going on.

I had forgot about your double RIMS, my bad.

#96 Clintama

Clintama

No Life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30244 posts
  • LocationRight Here

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

I had forgot about your double RIMS, my bad.

That makes more sense than one 4000W, 120 V element. That would require some hefty wire.

Edited by brewboy, 31 January 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#97 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

That makes more sense than one 4000W, 120 V element. That would require some hefty wire.

And I would think a custom element as that is not a common rating for that voltage.

#98 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

And I would think a custom element as that is not a common rating for that voltage.

I dont think Ive ever seen one. Lots of 2000w around. 

#99 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

I dont think Ive ever seen one. Lots of 2000w around. 

at 33amps of draw you will not.

2000w is the largest they make in 120v.  I went with 1500w for mine.

#100 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26173 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Matt, your system is looking nice and clean!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users