267 replies to this topic

#61 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

Where would one get started learning about doing such a thing?

Homebrewtalk would be a good place to start.  Under the electric section.

#62 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

I can see your wheels turning .. come over the the dark side... we have treats!

Actually I would like a 10g electric system. I have two PID's and zero know how to build a control box. 

#63 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

Actually I would like a 10g electric system. I have two PID's and zero know how to build a control box. 

Do you know if they have a manual mode on them?  That will be needed for the boil kettle.  As for the rest, it really depends on how fancy you want to get.  Like Matt said, check out the electric brewery.  I built mine before that was ever up and do not like all that he has on there but it is a very good reference to get an idea or what is needed and the cost.  I believe that Mtn has his panel.

#64 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

Maybe I will just hire you to build me one. :)

#65 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Maybe I will just hire you to build me one. :)

You going to come up to MA .. drink my beer and watch me build it?

#66 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

You going to come up to MA .. drink my beer and watch me build it?

Deal. I better start saving up some $$!  :)

#67 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Deal. I better start saving up some $$!   :)

:chug:

#68 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

What would something like that cost minus the PID's?

This would be perfect for getting started if you have PID's. It looks like the guy puts together kits based upon the instructions on theelectricbrewery.com. For someone that has no clue where to start it's probably the easiest to follow. Mine is based on the same principal as that but I have changed a few things.

#69 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

This would be perfect for getting started if you have PID's. It looks like the guy puts together kits based upon the instructions on theelectricbrewery.com. For someone that has no clue where to start it's probably the easiest to follow. Mine is based on the same principal as that but I have changed a few things.

:crazy:  I guess the price of parts has gone up some. 

#70 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Would the kit be cheaper if I sourced the parts separate? 

#71 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Would the kit be cheaper if I sourced the parts separate? 

That is a good question. I spent a fair amount of time gathering parts here and there before I started to build mine.  the kit is nice because you get it all at ones.  I will have to go back and look at some of the vendors I bought stuff from and see the current prices. It all depends on your time table.

#72 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well I just did a quick add up of parts from here. That is where I bought most of my parts. It appears the kit on eBay isn't any cheaper really. But he does have the enclosures in stock. Your best bet is to do some research on the whole thing and figure out what features you want out of the control panel and go from there. The kit may have things you don't need/want. Ebrewsupply.com are good guys to work with and good prices.

#73 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Well I do have that dual love box with outlets on 16 and 20 amp. So I could use that. Otherwise I'd like to go 220 with I guess three elements and two pumps would be future proofing. I could source a box easy enough. Not sure about parts. I will spend some time looking at the links. Thanks

#74 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Well I do have that dual love box with outlets on 16 and 20 amp. So I could use that. Otherwise I'd like to go 220 with I guess three elements and two pumps would be future proofing. I could source a box easy enough. Not sure about parts. I will spend some time looking at the links.Thanks

For your elements I assume HLT, BK and RIMS?  You could always run the RIMS at 120 if you are just going to maintain temp.  It will be a bit slower with ramp rates if you want to do that.  I use Love controllers for my HLT and MLT and just have a SSR that will accept the 120V output.  They are harder to find than SSR's that use a dc trigger but they are out there.  With those and if the PID's you have can be run manual you have a lot already for what you would need.  Just need some indicators, switches, relays, contactors (is you want) ...etc.

#75 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

For your elements I assume HLT, BK and RIMS?  You could always run the RIMS at 120 if you are just going to maintain temp.  It will be a bit slower with ramp rates if you want to do that.  I use Love controllers for my HLT and MLT and just have a SSR that will accept the 120V output.  They are harder to find than SSR's that use a dc trigger but they are out there.  With those and if the PID's you have can be run manual you have a lot already for what you would need.  Just need some indicators, switches, relays, contactors (is you want) ...etc.

And you to build it for me :)

#76 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

And you to build it for me :)

Set myself up for that!

#77 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hey, let me know what night we are doing this. I could use 2! :frank:

#78 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Ok, it's been awhile since an update. I have most of the panel wired. I took some pics as I was wiring the pumps in. After that I just need to wire the rest of the external stuff, the SSR's, probes and elements. Everything else internally is wired. I have also received all of my fittings for the pots. I will be punching holes and welding things on maybe this weekend. I also have the HLT coil on the way and have just about figured out what I am going to do inside the MLT.. Still lots to do but here are some pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by matt6150, 29 January 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#79 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Looking good Matt, real nice.  Wiring looks awesome, as I would expect from someone with your background.

#80 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

What type of plugs are you using for your probes, elements, and power in?

Also, what will your brewing process be? Just trying to match your front panel to process. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 23 January 2014 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users