Photo
- - - - -

Ventilation Fan for Basement (and Electric Brewery Update)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

I've been thinking more about how to vent steam in the basement if I need to. In case you don't remember the previous conversation, above the bench where the kettles are there is a window about 32" x 22". This window is hinged at the bottom and pulls open at the top (or did at one time). The basement wall is solid concrete and this window is set into the wall about 6".So I have an idea and I need you guys to tell me if this is stupid or if it might work or if there's a better way. My idea is to take an exhaust fan (see photo below) and mount it to a piece of plywood a little smaller than the window (approx. 31" x 21"). Then take some foam pipe insulation and put that all around the outside edge of the plywood. Then I could wedge that whole assembly into the recessed window. I'd have to knock out one of the panes in the window to let the steam escape. Brilliant? Hair-brained?Exhaust fan:Posted ImageInsulation:Posted ImageUpdate on the progress.I'm literally one part away from having the system functional. The part is a SS 1/2" threaded coupler. A couple of weeks ago I ordered the last bunch of parts I needed to complete it so that they would arrive while I was out of town last week. Everything arrived as expected but one part was wrong. They sent a nipple instead of a coupler. Now I'm as big a fan of nipples as anybody but that made me :banghead:. Anyway that's been addressed and the correct part is on its way. Hopefully it will be here this week and the first trial run (using only water) will be done this weekend to make sure there are no leaks. I've already done that for the HLT and MLT but not for the BK yet. I also had an issue on the control panel; one of the power supplies was bad. That was replaced last night.Posted Image

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I think your idea will work. Would you only have the fan assembly in place when brewing or all the time. If you do not use the window why not just take all the glass out, fill the void with some plywood and mount your fan to that?Looking forward to seeing the thread on the build-up. I always like to see an electric brewery

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

The problem with doing that is how to mount the plywood in that space. The window itself is all metal and has two panes with a vertical bar down the middle. I don't know how I could take that metal out altogether and if I did, I'm not sure how I'd mount the plywood. I guess I could use some angle brackets. But with the insulation, I was thinking that would seal off the gaps between the plywood and the concrete better and would save me from having to drill holes into that hard-ass concrete.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I did not realize it was metal, I thought it was a wood frame. Carry on! Like I said, I think it will work, just need to make sure the fit is tight. You would not want that falling out while on.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

I did not realize it was metal, I thought it was a wood frame.Carry on! Like I said, I think it will work, just need to make sure the fit is tight. You would not want that falling out while on.

Agreed and that's my main concern about not mounting it more permanently. The one thing working in my favor here is that the recess that the window sits in is tapered. It's more narrow toward the outside than on the basement side. So that's why I was thinking I could sort of jam it in there.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

liquid nails.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

can't find the old thread - still have a pic of the window?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

can't find the old thread - still have a pic of the window?

old threadhttps://www.brews-bros.xyz/index.php?/topic/73258-so-whos-brewing-119-21/#entry1279450

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

old threadhttps://www.brews-br...1/#entry1279450

Thanks. I'd be tempted to have someone nuke the window, replace with glass blocks with the fan mounted permanently. Bet it could be done fast. Assuming that meets code, or I might do it anyway and worry about it when I sold the place.

#10 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

If I was there I could make it work any way you wanted it. A vent is the way to go for sure.

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Glass block. They make ones with cut-outs for ducts and things.Hell they even have them for geese. :blush:

#12 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19061 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Any way to tie the steam into your HVAC system to distribute it around the house? People pay good money for humidification systems here. *Looks down at cracked-open skin on hands.*

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I know! Get a thumper and collect the distilled water.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Any way to tie the steam into your HVAC system to distribute it around the house? People pay good money for humidification systems here. *Looks down at cracked-open skin on hands.*

True dat. The furnace is in a different part of the basement but I could set up a fan to blow it in there.There was a brewer here who had a 20 gallon NG system in his finished basement (mine's mostly unfinished). He had couches and a big screen down there. All he ever did was crack open a window. That's why I contend that I may not have a problem at all. I'll see when I do the water-only trial run.

#15 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25598 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

If I understand your question.You could install concrete style molly bolts in the cement surrounding the window. Cut a hunk of plywood greater than the dimensions of the spacing of the molly bolts. Mount the fan on the plywood. Drill holes in the plywood that matches the spacing of the holes in the wall and bolt the plywood & fan to the wall. add weather stripping as required.Modify the window as you were planning.

#16 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'm curious how the dry/wet run goes. Relative humidity is lower there, but OTOH he's at attitude altitude. Could go either way IMO.

#17 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Probably won't be much of an issue even without the fan. Cracking the door and the window would probably do it. It's like here. It's so dry that humidity and mold are never a concern. Just the total opposite from Alabama.

#18 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

I'm curious how the dry/wet run goes. Relative humidity is lower there, but OTOH he's at attitude altitude. Could go either way IMO.

Probably won't be much of an issue even without the fan. Cracking the door and the window would probably do it. It's like here. It's so dry that humidity and mold are never a concern. Just the total opposite from Alabama.

The altitude helps too because the air is thinner. Mold doesn't even grow in my shower. But I'm curious about the outcome of the test too. Yeah, we'd never get away with it back home.zymot, I think that would work too. I have some tapcons left over from mounting the panel. If they're long enough I could use them or go get longer ones. The main reason I was thinking of mounting it in the recess as opposed to over it is so that it would be a little more out of the way. I could caulk around the plywood after it's mounted to keep cold air out.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

Come one man, thumper and worm and you have distilled water, among other things...

#20 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Come one man, thumper and worm and you have distilled water, among other things...

Like a reality show?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users