Photo
- - - - -

Ventilation Fan for Basement (and Electric Brewery Update)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Pics are here, give them a few minutes to upload: https://www.math.fsu...ectric Brewery/

#62 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

Pics are here, give them a few minutes to upload: https://www.math.fsu...ectric Brewery/

Looks good. How was the steam, any issues. Electric brewing is so nice IMO, it is really quiet compared to a propane burner.

#63 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Really cool! Looks like you followed that followed that electric brewery site pretty accurately, even splurged for the pre-bent HLT coil. I did notice a whirlpool port. Are you recirculating and whirlpooling while chilling and then pump to the fermenter when it gets down to temp? How did the hopstopper work?

#64 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19235 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Nah, someone here (davelew??) has external band/barrel heaters to do the trick. But they're on the side

Yeah, that's me. I love watching the toroidal boil pattern with bubbles coming up the sides, and a serious downwelling in the middle of the pot. It's like a liquid doughnut continually turning itself inside out.My BK sitting on a piece of nylon with silicone adhered to the top and bottom, sitting on an aluminum table. The nylon has the words "GHETTO TRIVET" written on the side in sharpie. The silicone keeps everything from slipping, even when wet.

#65 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Looks good. How was the steam, any issues. Electric brewing is so nice IMO, it is really quiet compared to a propane burner.

No the steam was fine. Got some condensation on the windows and a tiny bit on the wall above the pot. It was gone the minute I stopped the boil. What's noisy are the pumps but at least during the boil you can shut them off.

Really cool! Looks like you followed that followed that electric brewery site pretty accurately, even splurged for the pre-bent HLT coil. I did notice a whirlpool port. Are you recirculating and whirlpooling while chilling and then pump to the fermenter when it gets down to temp? How did the hopstopper work?

Recirculating in place and then pumping to the fermenter is the plan but the hopstopper clogged because I was pumping too hard trying to create a whirlpool. ("I told you so." -- djinkc) Imma have to figure something else out there. That was the only thing that went really wrong, i.e. beyond just learning curve goofs. I still got about 8-9 gallons of wort but should have been 1 or 2 more.OG is right, the wort tastes good, it's fermenting so can't complain too much.

#66 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

What's noisy are the pumps but at least during the boil you can shut them off.

Yes, My little giant is a loud SOB but the Iwaki is barley noticeable. The LG is going to be replaced soon by something else.

#67 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Recirculating in place and then pumping to the fermenter is the plan but the hopstopper clogged because I was pumping too hard trying to create a whirlpool. ("I told you so." -- djinkc) Imma have to figure something else out there. That was the only thing that went really wrong, i.e. beyond just learning curve goofs. I still got about 8-9 gallons of wort but should have been 1 or 2 more.OG is right, the wort tastes good, it's fermenting so can't complain too much.

Yeah that's what I wondered. Seems to be a common complaint over at the electricbrewery forums.

#68 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Yeah that's what I wondered. Seems to be a common complaint over at the electricbrewery forums.

If I had drained through the chiller into the fermenter, I think it would have been fine. So that's my short-term solution until I can figure out how to make whirlpooling work.

#69 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

If I had drained through the chiller into the fermenter, I think it would have been fine. So that's my short-term solution until I can figure out how to make whirlpooling work.

whirlpool issue was just because of the hopstopper correct.

#70 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Could you just remove the hopstopper and just have a pickup along the side. Then whirlpool and let it do what it's supposed to do and cone up in the center.

#71 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

whirlpool issue was just because of the hopstopper correct.

Pretty much yeah. Because the hopstopper clogged, the flow rate was so slow that it would have taken forever to chill the wort in the kettle. When I ran the test boil, it took no time to chill.

#72 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Could you just remove the hopstopper and just have a pickup along the side. Then whirlpool and let it do what it's supposed to do and cone up in the center.

Yeah as long as the side pickup didn't also clog.

#73 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Pretty much yeah. Because the hopstopper clogged, the flow rate was so slow that it would have taken forever to chill the wort in the kettle. When I ran the test boil, it took no time to chill.

one optionhttps://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Stainless-Steel-Basket_p_135.html

#74 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16537 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Yeah as long as the side pickup didn't also clog.

Mine is wide open and never clogs nor does my plate chiller. The key is getting a good whirlpool which is easy with a flat bottom kettle.Edit.....I dont get trub in the fermenter either.

Edited by BlKtRe, 11 February 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#75 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I tried recirculating for the whirlpool once. At the time it was going through a CFC and post chiller (this was a sanitizing step also). It just couldn't move wort fast enough. Now I recirculate StarSan after a hot water flush for sanitizing. My whirlpool is with a big ole SS spoon and 15 minute rest. I'm draining through a side pickup with a dam. The first cup or so gets dumped since some sludge is in it. Then pump through the plate chiller. If I'm doing a 175df hop addition I just us the old IC to drop the temperature and take it out. Seems to work OK here. I still think the element doesn't let allow the cone to compact as much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users