#1 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hey all, I wanted to ask a quick question to see if I did something really stupid. The other day, I kegged my American Rye. I put dry hops right into a bag and threw them into the keg. I went to pull a pint off right away to check it out, and it barely came out even though I had pressure on the keg. Is it possible I clogged up my pin locks with hop bits? If so, how do I fix this?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53926 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

They were in a bag? I just pulled the first pint from a dry-hopped pale ale where I put an ounce of Liberty into a muslin bag... no hop bits anywhere. Could the bag have sunk to the bottom and ended up clogging the diptube? I usually tie some thread or unwaxed floss to the bag so I can retrieve it if that happens. I know this does not help you now but I envision getting your racking cane or other long item, sanitize it, open the keg and prod around in there to find out where the bag went. Get it out of there, tie some thread to it and run the threadup throgh the hatch... it will still close and seal. Then you can keep track of te bag if necessary. Good luck Jason!

Edited by KenLenard, 31 July 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

Some use a sure screen to help. If you used pellets, and the mesh on the bag isn't fine enough, pellet particles can definitely get through. Sometimes if I rack too much gunk over to the keg, it also clogs the outlet.When it clogs, I just depressurize the keg, and take the out post off and check the poppet and the dip tube itself. If it is clogged, I just clear out whatever is blocking, sanitize the parts I took out, and put it back together. It sometimes takes more than one cleaning, depending on how much gunk is at the bottom of the keg, but it eventually clears.Another option to the floss is to get a stainless worm drive clamp and clamp it to the bottom of the lid if the pressure relief valve extends down. I personally don't dry hop any more though, I find it too much trouble in the keg.

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Another option to the floss is to get a stainless worm drive clamp and clamp it to the bottom of the lid if the pressure relief valve extends down. I personally don't dry hop any more though, I find it too much trouble in the keg.

That's an awesome option. I did use a muslin bag and floss with whole cone hops, but I emptied one bag which had a bunch of little hop parts in it. Looks like I messed up with that one.I'm do what you suggest, cause this beer should be really good. I'll clean out the dip tube and put a screen on. Thanks for the advice!

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

You can try blowing co2 through the liquid side to clear the line.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

I have done this approach many times.

#7 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

Genius. Thanks for the tip!

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

My only caution with that, is that whatever was blocking the tube is still in the keg. When I've cleared it out using CO2 through the liquid line, almost every time it reclogged soon after for me, but I may just have more gunk in my kegs!

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

My only caution with that, is that whatever was blocking the tube is still in the keg. When I've cleared it out using CO2 through the liquid line, almost every time it reclogged soon after for me, but I may just have more gunk in my kegs!

Right, I think I'll use that advice to clear the tube, but I'll still throw some mesh on the diptube to stop it from clogging. Thanks!

#10 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

All is well in JayB brewery! leaned out the dip tube, and it looked like there was a hop pellet inside. I didn't even use pellet hops! Thanks for the advice guys!

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

I don't do this often but using a neutral colored knee high suspended with unwaxed dental floss always seems to work well here. I have a keg of IPA waiting to be put on tap that I'll hit with 2 - 3 oz for a week and put it on tap. Never had problems with whole or pellets using the nylons. No way I would use anything with a coarser mesh. Nylons are cheap and easy to get.

#12 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Only thing I will add is that I put something heavy like a large stainless nut (cleaned and sanitized of course) in the dry hop bag so that it doesn't just float.

#13 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

I don't do this often but using a neutral colored knee high suspended with unwaxed dental floss always seems to work well here. I have a keg of IPA waiting to be put on tap that I'll hit with 2 - 3 oz for a week and put it on tap. Never had problems with whole or pellets using the nylons. No way I would use anything with a coarser mesh. Nylons are cheap and easy to get.

I've done the same many times. I also use the 1 gal. paint strainer bags. They're pretty tightly woven. the ladies nylons can't be beat, though. Cheaper, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users