Photo
- - - - -

Kettle fining preference

finings

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Kettle fining preference (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the 3 kettle fining products do you use

1. Irish Moss (5 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

2. Super Moss (1 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

3. Whirlfloc (21 votes [77.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

4. no pants, I don't need no stinking Carrageenan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Which do you use?I use Whirlfloc, has anyone any experience with Supermoss? any good?

Edited by miccullen, 21 May 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Irish moss here.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53817 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I chose Whirfloc. Somewhere I heard of people saying that Supermoss made Whirfloc look like Irish Moss. So I picked up some Supermoss where you just add ¼ tsp to some warm water and then add that with about 5 mins left. The label says you can use less but not more. What the hell does that mean? Anyway, my results were very lukewarm. I got some settling but nothing like Whirfloc. Then some people said not to mix the Supermoss with the water until just before you add it. Others said that it didn't matter when you mixed but it should be added more like 7 minutes before the end of the boil. I decided that all of that was madness and I went back to Whirfloc. I usually transfer around 4 gallons of ultra-clear wort to my primary. Once I get into that last gallon, I pick up some hop & break schputz but at least it's minimized. Whirfloc FTW!

Edited by KenLenard, 21 May 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

I chose Whirfloc. Somewhere I heard of people saying that Supermoss made Whirfloc look like Irish Moss. So I picked up some Supermoss where you just add ¼ tsp to some warm water and then add that with about 5 mins left. The label says you can use less but not more. What the hell does that mean? Anyway, my results were very lukewarm. I got some settling but nothing like Whirfloc. Then some people said not to mix the Supermoss with the water until just before you add it. Others said that it didn't matter when you mixed but it should be added more like 7 minutes before the end of the boil. I decided that all of that was madness and I went back to Whirfloc. I usually transfer around 4 gallons of ultra-clear wort to my primary. Once I get into that last gallon, I pick up some hop & break schputz but at least it's minimized. Whirfloc FTW!

I am happy with Whirlfloc myself, it does the job and doesn't require any special preperation, I have to get more so I figured I'd see if the consensus had changed

#5 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:12 AM

Whirlfloc is just so easy and works so well. A club member swears by Supermoss and gave me a little container to try. I thought it was very meh when I used it, just didn't see the coagulation of proteins like I did with Whirlfoloc.Beach

#6 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:33 AM

Used Irish Moss for years, and after my first use of Whirlflock a few years ago, I never looked back.When I saw the survey,, I asked myself why I might consider switching:(1). Does the alternative work better than Whirlflock?.....I don't see how that is possible.....proteins coagulate.....(2). Is the alternative easier to use than Whirlflock?.....I don't know what would be easier than tossing a tablet into a pot with 11 gallons of boiling liquid.....(3). Is it as good, as easy, and cheaper to use than Whirlflock?.....doubtful, at least not enough so to be meaningful when Whirlflock costs $0.02 to $0.05 per gallon of finished product depending upon how much the brewer uses, and the purchase price.As always, YMMV.....

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

I use whirlflock because it is so easy. I will just throw a single tab ion for 5 or 10g batches. When I first started I used Irish moss primarily because that is what I was used to from the kits I was buying. These days whirlflock is too easy.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

Whirlfloc - easy and it works. I haven't used Irish Moss in years. Tried Super Moss a while back. It seemed to work in the kettle but it wasn't as clear in the glass.

#9 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

I am such a dumbass!!!! So you siphon the wort into your fermenter in order to not transfer junk? Heck, I thought whirloc helped everything settle during primary, so I didn't siphon from my brewpot.

#10 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

I am such a dumbass!!!! So you siphon the wort into your fermenter in order to not transfer junk? Heck, I thought whirloc helped everything settle during primary, so I didn't siphon from my brewpot.

All these kettle finings being discussed are used to coagulate proteins in the boil so that it can be left behind in the kettle. Getting coagulation is one thing, keeping it from getting to the fermenter is another. It takes practice with your own set up to get good at racking to the fermenter while leaving break and hop matter in the kettle, but maximizing the amount of wort you pick up. There is endless discussion as to whether keeping the break out of the wort makes a difference in the finished beer. Personally, I do my best to get clear bitter wort into the fermenter, but, I don't sweat it if some break and hops make it over to the ferm. That being said, I am currently working on some system changes to help minimize the schputz that gets carried over.Beach

#11 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

All these kettle finings being discussed are used to coagulate proteins in the boil so that it can be left behind in the kettle. Getting coagulation is one thing, keeping it from getting to the fermenter is another. It takes practice with your own set up to get good at racking to the fermenter while leaving break and hop matter in the kettle, but maximizing the amount of wort you pick up. There is endless discussion as to whether keeping the break out of the wort makes a difference in the finished beer. Personally, I do my best to get clear bitter wort into the fermenter, but, I don't sweat it if some break and hops make it over to the ferm. That being said, I am currently working on some system changes to help minimize the schputz that gets carried over.Beach

I currently pour from my kettle to my fermenter in order to increase oxygenation before pitching my yeast. When making my last batch, I saw this ring of stuff during cooling ( I'm assuming this is the much talked about cold break), but I didn't see how I could avoid getting this into the fermenter. I was also assuming that whirfloc would work in the fermenter.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

I use Whirlfloc but I have some IM around as backup.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

I actually was contemplating making my own whirlfloc like substance last night, except I realized I would take 5 years to use it up minimum :blush:

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53817 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

JD: Some brewers have gizmos that reduce the amount of hop and break schputz that end up in the fermenter. You can look into hop bags (which keep the stuff contained so that there is less loose-hop bits in the wort) or muslin bags which do the same thing. I feel that keeping most of that stuff out of the fermenter will decrease the compounds that form, react and cause haze. I also like to reuse my yeast and the less schputz in the fermenter means the more of that slurry is actually yeast and not hop and break material. After getting 4 gallons of clear wort and another gallon (or so) of cloudy wort, I have maybe a half-gallon of sludge in my brewpot that must be 95% hop schputz. That gets poured down the drain. Cheers.

Edited by KenLenard, 22 May 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#15 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

I used hop bags a well, and whirfloc too. I thought that I might be missing something because my first brew had a lot of sediment in some of the bottles. I'm guess that I wasn't careful enough and tried to drain too much sludge before bottling.

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

I actually was contemplating making my own whirlfloc like substance last night, except I realized I would take 5 years to use it up minimum :blush:

Ok... I'll bite (and plead ignorance at the same time)... how does one do this?

#17 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

I used hop bags a well, and whirfloc too. I thought that I might be missing something because my first brew had a lot of sediment in some of the bottles. I'm guess that I wasn't careful enough and tried to drain too much sludge before bottling.

But your first beer was a hefeweizen right? Hefe is German for yeast so that sediment could have been just yeast settling out.

#18 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

But your first beer was a hefeweizen right? Hefe is German for yeast so that sediment could have been just yeast settling out.

No my first beer was an amber ale. The second was a Hefe...thanks to noticing tho!

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Ok... I'll bite (and plead ignorance at the same time)... how does one do this?

one contemplates buying kappa carrageenan in bulk, and mixing it with finely powdered Irish Moss, then measuring out small specific amounts into the kettle, in lieu of the pre dosed tabletsone would be nucking futs to really do this

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

one contemplates buying kappa carrageenan in bulk, and mixing it with finely powdered Irish Moss, then measuring out small specific amounts into the kettle, in lieu of the pre dosed tabletsone would be nucking futs to really do this

So, I guess it'll be a busy weekend. B)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: finings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users