Photo
- - - - -

Styrian Celeia in a lager: good results!

hops

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

I made a pils about 7 weeks ago and used Styrian Celeia for the first time on a whim. I'll have to say that the lager came out tasting amazing, my best so far. I used just 1 ounce for the full 60 minute boil and nothing else hop-wise. This might not be to style, but I don't care what anyone says, it tastes amazing for a good summer beer.7.0 lbs pilsener grain0.5 lbs red wheat0.5 lbs cara-pils0.75 lbs flaked maizeMash @ 153, 1 hourMashout to 174F1 oz Styrian Celeia (4% alpha, 4.2% beta), 60 minutes60 minute boilIrish moss @ last 15 minYeast: WPL840, monster starterFerm at 56F, aerate with motorized paint stirrer, lowered to 45 over 8 days, d-rest at 64F for 2 days, chilled at 45F for 3 weeksOG=1.043FG=1.012

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

I love Celia. This one looks tasty. Who cares about style? Next time use it for flavor and aroma. You will pull some nice spice from it.Im doing a collaboration Saison using Milo in the grist and Celia late in the boil this weekend.

#3 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

I love Celia. This one looks tasty. Who cares about style?Next time use it for flavor and aroma. You will pull some nice spice from it.Im doing a collaboration Saison using Milo in the grist and Celia late in the boil this weekend.

I will! Funny thing is that I made this for next weekend, where a bunch of country drunks will be tearing down our garage on the lake. I brought it along to attract people, but I hope they will appreciate it.

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Those country bumpkins will tear it up. Congrats!

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

Tell me about Celia, never had any around.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

first I'v heard of it, sounds intriguing

#7 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Please, tell me more.....I have never heard of Celia either.....but back in the day, I DID have a 1974 Celica if that is close enough to be of any consequence.....<G>!!!!!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:08 AM

I've heard of it but never used it. I love Styrian Goldings and have also used those in some light lagers when I didn't have another suitable hop and the beers came out nicely. I also found something called Super Styrians that had a higher AA% rating (maybe around 7%) and I did not care for those as much. Never used this variety but that recipe looks like something that I would make over the summer. What were the total IBUs on that beer? Less than 20? Cheers.

Edited by KenLenard, 22 May 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Love to hear about new hops varieties. Strangebrewer and I used some Styrian Bobek in our last strangebarrel brew (a quad) and I ended up with a little left over that I still haven't used. I need to do something with it soon so next time I'm doing a round of Belgians, I'm going to do a BPA or something to see what these are all about.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users