#61 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64087 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

A word of advice...if you turn your roasted barley into powder, then you run your flaked barley through your mill by accident, please use rice hulls. :devil: I used a pound after the fact and it still wasn't enough.

#62 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64087 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

Surprisingly, this beer finished at 1.012. The mash was really low, probably averaging 145-146. But it's really dry, no hint of residual sugar at all. The flaked barley must contribute quite a bit of unfermentables.

#63 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

Brew day starts at 6:30 AM. 6lb Canadian2 row2lb Flaked Barley1lb Crisp Roast Barley9 AAU US Goldings1056 cake from some cream aleShooting for a 60-90 min mash at 148dF

#64 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

Brew day starts at 6:30 AM. 6lb Canadian2 row 2lb Flaked Barley 1lb Crisp Roast Barley 9 AAU US Goldings 1056 cake from some cream ale Shooting for a 60-90 min mash at 148dF

Actually ended up using 10 AAU and ended up at 1.044 with 5.5 gallons in the bucket. No problems and I was all cleaned up before noon. :rolleyes:

#65 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

glad to hear you guys are making this one, I am just pouring myself a half-pint of this - hey it's one o'clock pm, that's late for a stout isn't it? yummmmmmmJK - the flaked does contribute I believe, mine have finished in the 1.010 - 1.012 range and taste quite dry but with a thickness to the body I think comes from the protein. I don't know how protein affects hydro readings but it seems to me that it must!:sarcasm:

#66 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

I made this as an extract version for my first stout and its pretty damn good.Its summer though, and stout is the last thing I want to drink when its 95 degrees and 99% humidity outside.Cheers,Rich

#67 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64087 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

glad to hear you guys are making this one, I am just pouring myself a half-pint of this - hey it's one o'clock pm, that's late for a stout isn't it? yummmmmmm JK - the flaked does contribute I believe, mine have finished in the 1.010 - 1.012 range and taste quite dry but with a thickness to the body I think comes from the protein. I don't know how protein affects hydro readings but it seems to me that it must! :blush:

Good point on the flaked. That makes sense. I just transferred mine out of the bright tanks. I'm putting it on beer gas tonight. Hopefully I can pull a few good pints off of it before I leave for overseas next Sunday.

#68 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

Why did you go with 58? That's really cool for that strain.

It ferments out fine at 58 in 2-3 weeks. I've done 6 or 7 batches now with this strain at that temp with no problems. I don't know if it's any cleaner than say 62 or 65 - it just happens to be the temperature of my basement floor in February. Works for me! This is definitely in my top 3 favorite recipes. It's cheap. It's simple. It's fast. It's tasty. Just about everyone likes it. It's what stout should be. :frank:

#69 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64087 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

It ferments out fine at 58 in 2-3 weeks. I've done 6 or 7 batches now with this strain at that temp with no problems. I don't know if it's any cleaner than say 62 or 65 - it just happens to be the temperature of my basement floor in February. Works for me! This is definitely in my top 3 favorite recipes. It's cheap. It's simple. It's fast. It's tasty. Just about everyone likes it. It's what stout should be. :frank:

Do you know what that actual wort temp is? I know everyone doesn't have the capability to measure it this way, but when I talk about fermentation temperature it refers to the internal temperature of the wort measured by a thermocouple in the center of the fermenter.

Edited by JKoravos, 15 August 2010 - 06:08 AM.

#70 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

Just starting a batch no EKG but using Fuggle

#71 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5016 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

I think my next batch is going to be a simple stout. I like simple but good recipes!Jim

#72 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

Just starting a batch no EKG but using Fuggle

fuggle works fine as well! I've done that sub and have not suffered at all for it. :lol:

#73 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

I'm getting the ingredients for this right now. We'll see how well it (AG) holds up to my extract version (which was damn good). Should brew this next weekend!Cheers,Rich

#74 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5016 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

Brewed a batch of Simple Stout yesterday... WOW! Does it smell good!Jim

#75 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:59 AM

Awesome guys! Glad to know it's still getting kicked around, this will be my first batch when I get back from traveling. This is still my favorite out of all the recipes in my book.Shwanz - hope it goes well, I've never done this extract but I know for a fact that it doesn't stay long in the keg when made AG!:rolleyes:

#76 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

Have to say this is one tasty recipe Ive brewed it twice just finishing a keg now and plan to brew it again on the weekend

#77 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

I was going to brew an Evil Twin this weekend but I have a new brewer with me and he really wanted to brew this stout. Since I don't have the darker roasted barley available to me (using 300L Briess), I have increased the amount to get closer to 30 SRM. This will add a bit more body to the finish, but I think it will be okay. This is a bit higher on the OG than the original recipe as well - 1.051 on the last batch and it was very good.For 11 gallon batch:6.4 KG Maris Otter2.3 KG Flaked Barley1.4 KG Roasted Barley 300LI never did update on my previous experience. I had been brewing with 1056 at relatively low temps quite successfully, but after one batch stuck at 58F I have been fermenting at 61 - 63F and cannot tell any difference. Thanks JKoravas for the tip on the 1056 yeast - you are correct in that anything in the low 60's is completely sufficient for a clean fermentation.

#78 MeanGreen

MeanGreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

So I've brewed this one a few times and have made some changes to the recipe that is my standard so I thought I'd share em here. Lately I've been hitting 5% ABV on this one and upped the IBUs which helps perceive the dry roasty finish. This is the best version I've made yet (IMHO) and it took many batches tweaking to get it here but now I think here it will stay. This latest batch I did with 2-Row and I think I'll go Marris Otter for the batch after to see the difference. 5-6 lb 2-Row or Marris Otter (depending on your system, eff and if you want to get closer to 4% or 5% ABV in the final product) 1.1 lb Roasted Barley 2.2 lb Flaked Barley 15 AAUs EKG @ 60 (note this is about TWICE the hops as the first incarnation - believe me it works) US-05 or 1056. YUM. :cheers:

When we are talking AAUs, its pure a calculation right. so 3 oz of 13.3AA Galena is 39 AAU's I am brewing this up and want to get the hops right Thanks

#79 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Awesome guys! Glad to know it's still getting kicked around, this will be my first batch when I get back from traveling. This is still my favorite out of all the recipes in my book. Shwanz - hope it goes well, I've never done this extract but I know for a fact that it doesn't stay long in the keg when made AG! :cheers:

The extract version was one of the first beers I had ever made. It was delicious. I tweaked this recipe a little and added 0.5# of special B to see what happened. Should be conditioning the beer this weekend and carbonating in two weeks. Cheers, Rich

#80 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

I find I have a hard time taking that much RB in one recipe. maybe I'm a stout wimp :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users