#21 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:09 AM

I just got finished carbing up this beer and its being served at a wedding of my friends tomorrow night. It tastes awesome. Its like coffee flavor to me I think its from the Roasted Barley. I love it and will be making more of it too soon. I will report back on what the guests say for this one too.

#22 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:17 AM

I just got finished carbing up this beer and its being served at a wedding of my friends tomorrow night. It tastes awesome. Its like coffee flavor to me I think its from the Roasted Barley. I love it and will be making more of it too soon. I will report back on what the guests say for this one too.

That's def the roasted barley that gives it the coffee notes. Def would like to hear some feedback from the wedding.

#23 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64053 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

I love simple recipes. 9 out of 10 times they taste just as good as their complex counterparts.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

I love simple recipes. 9 out of 10 times they taste just as good as their complex counterparts.

Most of the stuff I make has 4 or less grain types in it.

#25 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

Most of the stuff I make has 4 or less grain types in it.

Very good assessments and I agree with you both. If you get too many grains you sorta muddle the flavors and all too. Simple is good and complex has its place though of course too.

#26 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

As this beer slowly gets up to the right carb level it's getting better and better...

#27 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

Awesome Zym! Glad it turned out so well for you! I need to get this into rotation right away.:)

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

Awesome Zym! Glad it turned out so well for you! I need to get this into rotation right away. :)

Okay - this beyotch is carbed to my liking - f'ing delish!!! :)

#29 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:02 AM

This beer went over well with the crowd at my friend's wedding this past weekend. They drained about 50-75% of the keg. I am drinking it now at home and I love it. Coffee flavors abound. Great recipe. I brewed mine back in Feb so it aged a good bit too.

#30 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

For some reason this beer keeps getting drier as the days go on. It's pretty outrageous how dry this is right now!

#31 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

one off the things I love about it is the dry finish that makes it a real thirst quenching session stout..... unlike it's fuller bodied, heavier relatives in the stout category.

#32 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:07 AM

So I've brewed this one a few times and have made some changes to the recipe that is my standard so I thought I'd share em here.Lately I've been hitting 5% ABV on this one and upped the IBUs which helps perceive the dry roasty finish. This is the best version I've made yet (IMHO) and it took many batches tweaking to get it here but now I think here it will stay. This latest batch I did with 2-Row and I think I'll go Marris Otter for the batch after to see the difference.5-6 lb 2-Row or Marris Otter (depending on your system, eff and if you want to get closer to 4% or 5% ABV in the final product)1.1 lb Roasted Barley2.2 lb Flaked Barley15 AAUs EKG @ 60 (note this is about TWICE the hops as the first incarnation - believe me it works)US-05 or 1056.YUM. :)

#33 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

5-6 lb 2-Row or Marris Otter (depending on your system, eff and if you want to get closer to 4% or 5% ABV in the final product) 1.1 lb Roasted Barley 2.2 lb Flaked Barley 15 AAUs EKG @ 60 (note this is about TWICE the hops as the first incarnation - believe me it works)

I forgot to add on this last batch I did on this recipe I used up some cascades so it was about 17 AAUs of cascade/EKG blended and I am loving the results..... thick creamy tan head that sticks around a a nice delicate bitter touch to the end. Since it was a bittering addition I don't think there was much difference added from the cascade but FWIW this edit makes the recipe accurate to the beer I am drinking.

#34 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

I'm thinking about brewing this recipe per your latest incarnation next weekend. Do you grind the roasted barley in a coffee grinder or do you just grind and mash it with the rest of the grains?

#35 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

I'm thinking about brewing this recipe per your latest incarnation next weekend. Do you grind the roasted barley in a coffee grinder or do you just grind and mash it with the rest of the grains?

Joe, When I brewed mine last year I just crushed the RB right in with my grains. I wanted the flavor additions that the grain would provide. If you wanted to grind in a coffee grinder I am sure you would be ok too. I am thinking of brewing this one again in a few weeks. I love my Stouts.

#36 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

sorry joe, didn't see the comment until right now. I just grind the RB as normal, I've heard of the coffee grinder approach but have never tried it myself - I hear the static on roasted malt dust is pretty messy though.

#37 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

I made this as my first stout. Fan-Freakin'-Tastic! This is a great beer.Cheers,Rich

#38 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

No problem and thanks for the reply back. I'll brew this as is based on the good feedback. I'd be interested in what would happen if I subbed out most or all of the pale malt for munich malt. I wonder if the roasted barley will overpower the taste of the munich making it pointless. Again, I don't want to mess with this recipe the first time around, just thoughts for future experiments.Assuming the temperature raises a little by Thursday, I'll brew 10 gallons of this later this week.Joe

#39 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:19 AM

No problem and thanks for the reply back. I'll brew this as is based on the good feedback. I'd be interested in what would happen if I subbed out most or all of the pale malt for munich malt. I wonder if the roasted barley will overpower the taste of the munich making it pointless. Again, I don't want to mess with this recipe the first time around, just thoughts for future experiments. Assuming the temperature raises a little by Thursday, I'll brew 10 gallons of this later this week. Joe

I suspect using munich might make it seem a little less dry than it otherwise would.

#40 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

Do you guys think there would be much impact if I used Magnum instead of EKG for the bittering hops? Since it is just bittering and Magnum is a pretty clean bitter, I'm thinking it might save a few $$$ without changing the recipe much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users