#41 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

yeah man go nuts, the hops are just there to help you get the dryness enhanced by a bit of bitter. It sounds like a good experiment to me! I've done this one with as much as 55 IBUS..... let that one mellow a tad but it was tassssty.

#42 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

Joe:Just drinking a pint of porter made with all munich and 2.2 lbs of chocolate malt. It's awesome, but very malty. It is a completely different dark beer, even though I used the same yeast and they are in the same range for IBUs and SRM. The munich will make this into a full bodied, sweeter, maltier stout - and there are better recipes for that kind of stout out there. I would keep dry stout where it wants to be - pure and simple, because stouts can push the roof on complexity when you make them BIG beer. I mean look at tactical nuclear penguin or just about any RIS. If you want a bigger stout I recommend (Highyl) the Quiet Storm Stout (QSS) also on the recipe boards on this site.Enjoy! I wish I had 10 G of this stuff kickin around!! :(

#43 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

I have 11 gallons bubbling ferociously in the basement now. I tried to stay as close to the original recipe as possible. I had to use Golden Promise instead of Marris Otter since LHBS was out of the MO. I also used two ounces of Magnum (Yakima) instead of the EKG. The AAU's are a little lower, but not by much.OG came in at 1.051. The only thing I noticed was the color was a bit more brown than black, probably because I used the American 300L roasted barley instead of the darker stuff - but it may look fine in the glass.Here's my modified recipe based on necessity:11 Gallons - Earthtone's Simple Stout------------------------------12# Simpson Golden Promise4.4# Briess Flaked Barley2.2# Briess Roasted BarleyMashed overnight at 146F (I undershot my mash temp by a couple degrees but it converted just fine).2 ounces Yakima Magnum @60 (14.4%)Wyeast 1056Fermenting primary @ 58 degrees. Should take two weeks based on my experience with 1056 at this temp and gravity. I'll probably skip the secondary on this one and go straight to bottle.That makes 34 gallons of beer in glass at the moment - I need to get some bottled to make room for another brew day!

#44 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

I took a gravity reading this morning. 1.020 - still has aways to go. The taste was very good. The roasted barley comes out very nicely but without any harshness and the mouthfeel is excellent.Unfortunately the color is more brown than black. I used the 300L roasted barley and I think that's what got me. The taste seems good at this point and it won't break my heart drinking a brown stout, but I'm wondering if there are any easy ways to darken up the beer a bit before I send it to bottle.

#45 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25576 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

One thing all of the recipes have in common. No black patent. (OK [u]one[/i] has 1/4 lb out of 20.75 lbs in an 11.5 batch)

I am not a fan of the black patent. It is common to see stout recipes to use too much (IMHO) black patent. Do not be afraid to substitute brown, chocolate or even amber malt when you see black patent. Again, just one homebrewer's opinion.

zymot

#46 keithd

keithd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

Heh - didn't think this post would get such a good response!But as a bit of a correction; for the hopping schedule, I used .5 oz for FWH, 1 oz for 60 min. otherwise identical to the recipe except for the yeast. And this brew was my best brew, ever. As I've had a long hiatus from HB - this is going to be my re-inaugural batch. :chug:

#47 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

Earthtone are you entering the great canadian homebrew comp ?https://www.homebrewers.ca/competitions.php

#48 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

thinking about it - going to brew this stout again soon so I might have to enter it. Right now I have only a couple empty taps and two lagers in the works so I am more concerned with getting full kegs in the fridge than the comp but seing as I've done this one probably 8 times so far it's got the most refinement in my inventory. I'll let you know, are you putting anything in?

#49 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

The 11 gallons I brewed is now in full circulation amongst friends and family and the results that have come back are very good. It is definitely very easy drinking. Has a hint of roastiness but not overbearing and is overall a very smooth beer. The palate is a bit of a oddity - it starts off with a very creamy mouthfeel but finishes very dry. The bitterness is extremely clean and balances well (I used Magnum instead of EKG).I think the largest compliment came from my father who is NOT a stout drinker. He does not like guiness. However, after tasting this beer, he promptly asked for a 6-pack and has said that he enjoys this beer over any beer that I have ever made. (This is pretty out there coming from a guy who doesn't like stout!).This is a wonderful beer for what it is - a great session stout that can be enjoyed by just about anyone - even those afraid of 'dark beers'. Thanks for the recipe ET. This will definitely go into my 'brew again' book.Joe

#50 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

Awesome Joe!! This is exactly what I was going for with this brew!! Session stout, enjoyable by all, balanced and tasty!I like your description: "Starts off with a very creamy mouthfeel but finishes very dry. The bitterness is extremely clean and balances well."That sums this one up for sure, I love how it kinda fills your mouth it's so thick and creamy but the dry finish makes you want to go back for another sip right away. Definitely my favourite stout, I just can't drink RIS like I can this one.

#51 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

thinking about it - going to brew this stout again soon so I might have to enter it. Right now I have only a couple empty taps and two lagers in the works so I am more concerned with getting full kegs in the fridge than the comp but seing as I've done this one probably 8 times so far it's got the most refinement in my inventory. I'll let you know, are you putting anything in?

I just may thinking of entering the Old Ale I just made if it turns out good but who knows

#52 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

All of a sudden I had a powerful craving for a nice roasty dry stout. My Guinness tap has been dry far too long. I think I'm going to brew this once I run out my string of lagers on my current pitch of WLP830.

#53 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

So I've brewed this one a few times and have made some changes to the recipe that is my standard so I thought I'd share em here. Lately I've been hitting 5% ABV on this one and upped the IBUs which helps perceive the dry roasty finish. This is the best version I've made yet (IMHO) and it took many batches tweaking to get it here but now I think here it will stay. This latest batch I did with 2-Row and I think I'll go Marris Otter for the batch after to see the difference. 5-6 lb 2-Row or Marris Otter (depending on your system, eff and if you want to get closer to 4% or 5% ABV in the final product) 1.1 lb Roasted Barley 2.2 lb Flaked Barley 15 AAUs EKG @ 60 (note this is about TWICE the hops as the first incarnation - believe me it works) US-05 or 1056. YUM. :frank:

What's your post boil volume for this recipe?

#54 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

I usually boil 6.5 to get a post boil around 5.5 G in the fermenter on my system and I usually get almost to the lid of the corny when I rack over. Got a carboy of this waiting to hit the keg when my MLPA blows. :frank:

#55 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

Heh - didn't think this post would get such a good response! But as a bit of a correction; for the hopping schedule, I used .5 oz for FWH, 1 oz for 60 min. otherwise identical to the recipe except for the yeast. And this brew was my best brew, ever. As I've had a long hiatus from HB - this is going to be my re-inaugural batch. :frank:

how'd the re-inauguration go??

#56 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

All of a sudden I had a powerful craving for a nice roasty dry stout. My Guinness tap has been dry far too long. I think I'm going to brew this once I run out my string of lagers on my current pitch of WLP830.

Prepping for a batch of this stout (or a close variation of it) for Thursday night. I'm using Willamette to 41 IBU and I'm crushing my roasted barley with my coffee grinder. It's like dust. I can't wait to get smacked in the face with roastiness. Here's my recipe: ET's Simple Stout A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report Recipe Specifics ---------------- Batch Size (Gal): 12.00 Wort Size (Gal): 12.00 Total Grain (Lbs): 17.60 Anticipated OG: 1.044 Plato: 10.94 Anticipated SRM: 30.8 Anticipated IBU: 41.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 85 % Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes Grain/Extract/Sugar % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 62.5 11.00 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Great Britain 1.037 2 25.0 4.40 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2 12.5 2.20 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.033 435 Saccharification Rest Temp : 148 Time: 90 Mash-out Rest Temp : 167 Time: 20 Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45 Hops Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 167.00 g. Willamette 2008 HD Pellet 3.39 41.0 60 min. Yeast ----- White Labs WLP001 California Ale Water Profile ------------- Profile: Roughly Dublin Profile known for: Guinness Calcium(Ca): 143 ppm Magnesium(Mg): 3 ppm Sodium(Na): 74 ppm Sulfate(SO4): 111 ppm Chloride(Cl): 44 ppm biCarbonate(HCO3): 250 ppm

#57 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

I have 11 gallons bubbling ferociously in the basement now. I tried to stay as close to the original recipe as possible. I had to use Golden Promise instead of Marris Otter since LHBS was out of the MO. I also used two ounces of Magnum (Yakima) instead of the EKG. The AAU's are a little lower, but not by much.

OG came in at 1.051. The only thing I noticed was the color was a bit more brown than black, probably because I used the American 300L roasted barley instead of the darker stuff - but it may look fine in the glass.

Here's my modified recipe based on necessity:

11 Gallons - Earthtone's Simple Stout
------------------------------
12# Simpson Golden Promise
4.4# Briess Flaked Barley
2.2# Briess Roasted Barley

Mashed overnight at 146F (I undershot my mash temp by a couple degrees but it converted just fine).

2 ounces Yakima Magnum @60 (14.4%)

Wyeast 1056

Fermenting primary @ 58 degrees
. Should take two weeks based on my experience with 1056 at this temp and gravity. I'll probably skip the secondary on this one and go straight to bottle.

That makes 34 gallons of beer in glass at the moment - I need to get some bottled to make room for another brew day!

Why did you go with 58? That's really cool for that strain.

#58 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Why did you go with 58? That's really cool for that strain.

If I were to guess I'd say he was going for a super clean ferment. I think I would have kept it in the low 60s though.

#59 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

If I were to guess I'd say he was going for a super clean ferment. I think I would have kept it in the low 60s though.

That would be my take on it also. I have read or heared that 001 can go down to 55*. I like to stay 63-65 with it myself.

#60 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

I find 001 to be really clean up until at least 67. Getting a super clean beer out of 001 doesn't require anything lower than about 65, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users