#81 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

this one is pretty darn smooth. as far as I'm concerned it's the most drinkable dark beer I've encountered. but maybe i'm a stout fan :blush:

#82 MeanGreen

MeanGreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

I went ahead and brewed 11g of this on 11/10. What a great beer. 13 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) 68.42 % 4 lbs Barley, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (2.0 SRM) 21.05 % 2 lbs Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (550.0 SRM) 10.53 % 4.25 oz Cluster [4.50 %] (60 min) 31.3 IBU 1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) 1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Mashed 149

#83 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

BUMP because I want to make it and so should some others because it is March and everyone needs a stout! :cabbagepatch: :cabbagepatch: :cabbagepatch:

#84 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

For those that have brewed this did you find you lost more water to absorption with that much flaked barley? We will be brewing this thursday and really looking forward to the results.

#85 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

it's been awhile but I do remember absorbtion being more.. can't say how much but yes.

#86 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

For those that have brewed this did you find you lost more water to absorption with that much flaked barley? We will be brewing this thursday and really looking forward to the results.

I'm not sure you lose more than just counting it as grain. I make a modified version of this recipe that has a slightly more complex malt bill. Scored a 39 in the last comp I sent it to as a dry stout. I tweaked the recipe a little more this last time to try and break 40. Also I use WLP007.

The absorption I have in my calc pretty much hits it spot on.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 19 March 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#87 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to treat this as a normal grain bill but have some extra water and hand in case.

#88 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Just took a gravity reading, 1.099. Very tasty sample. Like others have said it is more brown than black. Next time this is brewed might add a little something to get it darker.

#89 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Just took a gravity reading, 1.099. Very tasty sample. Like others have said it is more brown than black. Next time this is brewed might add a little something to get it darker.

I had the same problem last time. I'm planning on upping the RB to 1.1 lb and the flake up to 2.2 lb then grinding the RB, yes grind not crush, to get the proper color. I'm pretty sure Jamil said to do the same thing to get the right color.

Or you could cheat and hit it with some Sinimar! :sarcasm:

#90 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Really? I've never had any issue getting black on 1 lb of RB. Maybe I get a darker roast than you at my LHBS? I couldn't imagine putting another lb in a 5G batch - mine pours black with a thick rich brown/tan head. Curious.

#91 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Really? I've never had any issue getting black on 1 lb of RB. Maybe I get a darker roast than you at my LHBS? I couldn't imagine putting another lb in a 5G batch - mine pours black with a thick rich brown/tan head.

Curious.

My initial brews of it were dark brown. That being said, who cares? The beer is wonderfully smooth and easy to drink.

#92 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

"quaffable" :cheers:

#93 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

My initial post was after a hydro reading. We bottled this beer the other day and in a pint glass, it is definitely black. I should have updated my post. In the hydro tube though, all brown :)

#94 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Some would say you need to use a coffee grinder to get it dark enough, but I'm planning on brewing this again in the next week and figure I'll just run the RB through the mill twice. I'm good with brown or black, I use British RB so it's dark, because the color does not impact the wonderful flavor this beer has. YES QUAFFABLE!

#95 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64083 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

I'm doing a re-boot on this recipe.  My last attempt get screwed up by a stuck mash and tannin extraction.  I've been killing the summer beers, time for some fall beers...

#96 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

I'm doing a re-boot on this recipe.  My last attempt get screwed up by a stuck mash and tannin extraction.  I've been killing the summer beers, time for some fall beers...

Its a good recipe for sure. I have it on tap right now in fact.

#97 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

try getting some of the Irish Malting co Stout Malt, good stuff, and you can say you used Irish Malt in your Stout

#98 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64083 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:08 PM

Its a good recipe for sure. I have it on tap right now in fact.

How many co2 volume do you push it with?

#99 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64083 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

try getting some of the Irish Malting co Stout Malt, good stuff, and you can say you used Irish Malt in your Stout

Have you used it? Any feedback on it?

I have tons of base grain to work through, so i won't be buying anything soon. Full sack of MO and great western 2 row plus a good chunk of canada malting pale ale. Some odds and ends too, Golden Promise, bunch of rye, wheat, etc.

Edited by JKor, 13 August 2015 - 07:20 PM.

#100 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

Have you used it? Any feedback on it?

I have tons of base grain to work through, so i won't be buying anything soon. Full sack of MO and great western 2 row plus a good chunk of canada malting pale ale. Some odds and ends too, Golden Promise, bunch of rye, wheat, etc.

I made almost this exact recipe with it, it's hard to pin down but it gives the dry stout a flavor that I usually only find in draft Guinness or widget cans of Irish brewed stout, it's a malty sweet character that's similar to but not

the same exactly as a good Pils malt.  

I have 5 lbs left and that is destined for part of an Imperial Stout.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users