#21 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

does efficiency affect the contribution in terms of color and flavor from specialty grains?

No efficiency is just a measure of how much sugar you extracted relative to a theoretical maximum that may or may not have any basis in reality.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

No efficiency is just a measure of how much sugar you extracted relative to a theoretical maximum that may or may not have any basis in reality.

if there is no correlation I don't see why you would do anything except adjust the base malt then.

#23 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

if there is no correlation I don't see why you would do anything except adjust the base malt then.

I agree.

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

that's what I do

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'll probably brew this the weekend of the 21st. I'm sending the wife and kids away to visit her family, so that'll be about the only time I have to do it.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'll probably brew this the weekend of the 21st. I'm sending the wife and kids away to visit her family, so that'll be about the only time I have to do it.

you finalized on any mods (if any) you'll do?

#27 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Not a clue. One thing might be that a lot of his recipes are written for a very low efficiency (~60%). Usually I only adjust base malt when adjusting for efficiency and I leave the specialty grains as is. So that may lead to too much specialty grain in the final recipe.

I think the .75# C120 may be a mistake. The version of evil twin that I have (brewed relatively recently) only used .5# of C120 but 1# of C40. It came out very dark - I think the idea is that it should be 'blood red' - which it comes pretty close. Any more C120 and I think it would push things into the black range. Also his recipes are all geared for 6 gallon batches.Original evil twin grain bill:12 lb (5.44 kg) British Pale Malt 3L1 lb (0.45 kg) Crystal 40L1 lb (0.45 kg) Munich Malt 8L0.50 lb (0.22 kg) Victory Malt 25L0.50 lb (0.22 kg) Crystal 120L0.25 lb (0.11 kg) Pale Chocolate Malt 200LI have a free brew weekend slot in a few weeks. Any ideas on an imperial version?

#28 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

6 gallon batches. :facepalm: I always thought he just had a really crappy efficiency. That explains everything. It's probably all explained very well in that part of the book I didn't read. Thanks Joe, +1 for you and I'll make the necessary changes to the recipes and repost them.ETA: Oh...impy version. Up the pale malt, rye and possibly the Munich to a gravity in the 75-80 range at your discretion. Also increase the hops across the board by 50-100%.

#29 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Here's the grain bill from the NB recipe kit. I believe this is for 5.25 gallons @ 70% eff.:10 lbs. MO1 lb. Munich0.75 lb. C406 oz. Victory6 oz. C120/Spec. B/CaraAroma4 oz. pale chocolateI will take that and replace a couple pounds of MO with rye.

#30 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

OK, new recipes uploaded.Thanks for the catch JKoravos and Joe.

#31 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

ackk, I don't have any Munich :spank:

#32 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

LOL...that's your bad. Should always have some Munich around.

#33 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

LOL...that's your bad. Should always have some Munich around.

*resists PH response*:Dthe 5lbs I had are already mixed into batch #1s grain bill, which is sitting unmilled waiting to become beer

#34 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

Went with something closer to the earlier posts regarding the grain bill,6 lbs pale malt2.5 lbs rye malt0.75 lb 40L crustal0.75 lb 80 SRM belgian candi cyrup (it was around and begging to be used)Hops according to schedulepitched a starter of Wyeast 1056OG 1.048

#35 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Went with something closer to the earlier posts regarding the grain bill,6 lbs pale malt2.5 lbs rye malt0.75 lb 40L crustal0.75 lb 80 SRM belgian candi cyrup (it was around and begging to be used)Hops according to schedulepitched a starter of Wyeast 1056OG 1.048

You just pitched it?I was just gonna post to see if anybody brewed it yet. I'd like to get my things together to start soon. I have the Denny's Favorite Yeast, have the hops, base malts, and just need rye and the crystal I ordered on our bulk grain buy. It's coming behind the sacks of base and wheat we got.

#36 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Im way late here, but this recipe looks very interesting. I think ill pick up ingredients for it today. Is that final recipe you uploaded set for 5 gals or 6? It reads 5 in the promash file, but after reading the thread i just want to make sure.

#37 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's for 5 so feel free to scale up as needed. I'll be scaling up to 6 gallons myself.

#38 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have my base malt. I will pick up the rest of it tomorrow I think. I think that I may just use US-05 because I will have a couple of cakes from the DIPA I just made. Depending on how long that takes to ferment out, I will brew this either this week or next.

#39 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

I picked up all ingredients for this last weekend. wont be able to brew this weekend because of the warm temps. Hoping to get it done next weekend.

#40 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I got everything I needed, but only for a 5 gallon batch. I got the last 2 lbs of rye :stabby: I also got an extra pound of Munich by accident. Centennial's were also $4 an oz :crazy: so I think I may just sub out all the hops for Falconer's Flight. I was thinking about just doubling the base malt plus a few pounds to make a 10 gal version of this with half of the specialties. Any reason I should be talked out of doing this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users