#122 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

I think it will be a nice beer for having a few of and not feeling too tipsy.  It's still pretty cloudy right now.  I'm going to blame all of the hops.

#123 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

I think it will be a nice beer for having a few of and not feeling too tipsy.  It's still pretty cloudy right now.  I'm going to blame all of the hops.

Cloudy is the new clear!

#124 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:36 AM

indeed it is!  but this looks more like haze and not cloudy.  I used the wrong word.

#125 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

indeed it is!  but this looks more like haze and not cloudy.  I used the wrong word.

Agh, I see.  Then the only solution is to add more hops till you cannot see through it :)

#126 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

Agh, I see.  Then the only solution is to add more hops till you cannot see through it :)

I'll try to remember to take a picture tonight.  I also need to upload a pic of the too large for corny kegs tea ball!

#127 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

Maybe dry hop one keg and not the other to compare, you can always add a dry hop later of needed.

#128 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

non-dry hopped:

DSC_0039-003.JPG

#129 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:49 AM

I just hit the kegs with some more CO2 and took a little PRV hit from them.  the dry hopped one smells incredible.

#130 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

Looking good

#131 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

Looking good

it's not ugly or anything but I guess I was kind of expecting it to be a good deal more clear at this point.  I can see that in the remaining quick carbed 2L bottle there is still stuff settling to the bottom of it so it will likely fully clear up but it just needs a little more time.

#132 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:48 AM

Color wise it is right, I can see it's still hazy/cloudy but it will settle. How did the samples taste?

#133 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:01 AM

Color wise it is right, I can see it's still hazy/cloudy but it will settle. How did the samples taste?

so the sample was not dry hopped.  it was beer that I couldn't fit in the kegs (ended up with 11 gal instead of 10.5 gal).  the carbonation is a little uneven due to the quick carbing so take that into account.

the aroma is very good for not being dry hopped.  it's slightly grassy with some fruit.

the hop flavor hits you up front in a big way but very quickly dissipates.

then you get some of the yeast derived flavors which remind you that you are in fact drinking a bitter.  I would still describe the yeast aspect as very clean but with a british character.

the finish is dry and possibly a little too skewed towards bitter for my tastes but this could be a combination of the quick carbing (maybe some carbonic acid bite), a little residual yeast, probably a lot of residual hop particles.

overall I'm quite pleased that I have a nice hoppy beer that won't cause me to pack on the pounds quite as quickly ;)

#134 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16676 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

Sounds real nice to me. Couple quick questions...

What are your thoughts on Galaxy as a hop?

This was GP base and 30 min boil right?

#135 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

Sounds real nice to me. Couple quick questions...

What are your thoughts on Galaxy as a hop?

This was GP base and 30 min boil right?

In the boil it's a great hop.  I'm thinking as a dry hop it might be incredible but I'll have to report back on that.  these pellet hops were purchased via hop heaven and they were the stickiest hops I've ever had.  they were in such a solid mass that I actually find it difficult to break them off to measure them out.  a lot of other hops I have bought readily break up into pellets and I can just pour them out of the bag.

I used GP and did a 30 min boil.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 23 February 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#136 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16676 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

In the boil it's a great hop.  I'm thinking as a dry hop it might be incredible but I'll have to report back on that.  these pellet hops were purchased via hop heaven and they were the stickiest hops I've ever had.  they were in such a solid mass that I actually find it difficult to break them off to measure them out.  a lot of other hops I have bought readily break up into pellets and I can just pour them out of the bag.

Thanks. I have used Galaxy from Farmhouse and HD so far and each one was super yellow and sticky like you describe. I have 2 pounds of the HH Galaxy you have in my freezer. 

#137 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

Mine form HH were the same way.  Had to break off chunks.

#138 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

It is still very young, I would expect that bitterness to become a bit smoother over the next week or two.

#139 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

It is still very young, I would expect that bitterness to become a bit smoother over the next week or two.

that is likely correct.

#140 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:10 AM

I've been sampling the dry hopped version - it's super, super cloudy from the hops right now.  but it's also very tasty despite not being very carbonated.  all of the hops are helping with the perception of body.  I kind of wonder if that will be maintained as it clears.  maybe it's the lower carbonation compared to the "quick carbed" 2L I was sampling early on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users