Photo
- - - - -

Got a sample of SA Noble Pilsner today...

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

Prima Pils is excellent, also try Stoudt's Pils that's another nice one. The SA pils is definitely the best seasonal they've done in a long time.

Stout's is Good - the Holy Trinity around these parts is Prima, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils (my favorite), and Troegs' Sunshine Pils. IMO, SA Noble Pils is close to those three.

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

OK I got myself a half rack of this beer, on friday.It is an acceptable Pilsner, somewhere in between a Bohemian or German, but not quite either. The hop nose was lacking the bright herbal noble bouquet I was expecting. The bittering level was just about right I'd say, and the hop flavor was almost whatI expected, just not quite there, but good mind you.As to the color , it seems a little bit too dark, and this carries into the flavor profile. It has a slightly roasty character, that is usually present in Sam's Boston Lager, it just feels out of place here. I don't get the traditional sweet Pilsner Malt flavor that is usually present in typical examples of the style, though the beer claims to use it. Carbonation level was good, and head was nice, and stayed for and appreciable time.All in all an OK pilsner, but I don't think I will be going out of my way to buy more anytime soon.From the other glowing reviews here it makes me wonder , as I have had other serious inconsistencies of SA products over the years also.It could also be an issue of handling in the distribution system.

#23 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

it has a special malt from the czech republic which the maltster uses a traditional floor malting technique. the color is quite pale, not sure how pale you can really go without killing any malt presence what so ever. As for the roasty character, i would be more suspicious of the handling of the beer than any ingredient being used, which shouldn't really contribute to any roasted flavor, but i have never noticed any roasted characteristic in the beer.

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

it has a special malt from the czech republic which the maltster uses a traditional floor malting technique. the color is quite pale, not sure how pale you can really go without killing any malt presence what so ever. As for the roasty character, i would be more suspicious of the handling of the beer than any ingredient being used, which shouldn't really contribute to any roasted flavor, but i have never noticed any roasted characteristic in the beer.

I am thinking my 12er was horked because It was not very pale at all, and the hop aroma was almost non existent, and it tasted nothing at all like it had been made with european pilsner malt, which I have used enough of to know what it tastes like. the Sample I got tasted a bit stale also.I'll try again in a month I think, because I was hoping for better from this beer.

#25 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

My only complaint is that the hop character seems a bit muddied, or dirty. The bottle says they used all 5 noble hops, my question is why? I don't feel doing such added anything to the beer, they probably would've been better off sticking to one or two.Pretty good beer otherwise. In brewing pilsners, I've had good success lately with Weyermann's Bohemian Pils malt.

#26 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

I enjoy this beer, but I do find a little bit of astringency in the mouthfeel. Not enough to matter that much. Overall, I like Prima Pils better, but the SA Noble Pils will be much more readily available in most places.

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

I enjoy this beer, but I do find a little bit of astringency in the mouthfeel. Not enough to matter that much. Overall, I like Prima Pils better, but the SA Noble Pils will be much more readily available in most places.

I noticed that as well.

#28 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:39 AM

I picked up a sixer of this last night and drank a bottle and enjoyed this beer. It was definitely crystal clear, evident citrus flavor from the hops and overall I nice beer in my opinion. I have not had many SA beers lately and have rarely bought any but I am pleased with this one. I have to agree with the comments on why the use of 5 noble varieties but my guess is just for a marketing tool in case someone wants to jump to buy it thinking wow thats cool all 5 varieties. Aren't there really only 4 nobles anyways? Hallertau, Spalts, Tettnang and Saaz? #5? Anyways good beer none the less and nice to see it put out by such a large brewer.

#29 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

I found it to be too malty for a pils, and the hop aroma was poor. It was more of an earthy tone than I am used to for a pils.HOWEVER, I do live on the west coast, and historically we get pretty abused SA beers here. I would like to try it at the source.MolBasser

#30 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

I picked up a sixer of this last night and drank a bottle and enjoyed this beer. It was definitely crystal clear, evident citrus flavor from the hops and overall I nice beer in my opinion. I have not had many SA beers lately and have rarely bought any but I am pleased with this one. I have to agree with the comments on why the use of 5 noble varieties but my guess is just for a marketing tool in case someone wants to jump to buy it thinking wow thats cool all 5 varieties. Aren't there really only 4 nobles anyways? Hallertau, Spalts, Tettnang and Saaz? #5? Anyways good beer none the less and nice to see it put out by such a large brewer.

#5 = Hersbrucker

#31 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

#5 = Hersbrucker

Thanks Winkydow. Knew the name never figured it was noble. I will remember that now.

#32 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Winkydow. Knew the name never figured it was noble. I will remember that now.

It's not really...well kinda. Hersbrucker gained popularity as a disease resistant replacement for Mittelfruh when it was threatened by verticillium wilt. Some people consider it noble.

#33 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

It's not really...well kinda. Hersbrucker gained popularity as a disease resistant replacement for Mittelfruh when it was threatened by verticillium wilt. Some people consider it noble.

Makes sense to me. I never really knew there to be anymore than 4 indentified or official noble varieties.

#34 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10736 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

If nothing else Sam Adams got people researching nobel hops and the pilsner style. While it may not be a perfect example of the style it is better than BMC 'pilsner' styles. The 5 hop thing is probably marketing but it doesn't insult your intellegence like the 'triple hopped' marketing.

#35 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

A true Bo Pils has only SAAZ. That said, I bought a sixer yesterday. Chillin' in the fridge now.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64083 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

Gonna pick some of this up on the way home tonight.

#37 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

I found it to be too malty for a pils, and the hop aroma was poor. It was more of an earthy tone than I am used to for a pils.HOWEVER, I do live on the west coast, and historically we get pretty abused SA beers here. I would like to try it at the source.MolBasser

I am inclined to agree, as I have rarely had a SA product that tasted "fresh" in Spokane, I believe only the AB distributor locally has a fully refrigerated system, and I don't rcall SA being in the AB distro system.

#38 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23565 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

I have to agree with Basser, I'm not sensing much in hops here. Generally though SA beers don't excite me much. The only positive thing is, as mentioned, that restaurants do serve SA so it's often the only "decent" beer they got.

#39 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64083 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

I was somewhat disappointed by this beer, only because of all the hype. Probably also because I had Prima Pils for the first time 2 weeks ago. Overall it is a good beer, and one of SA's better offerings.

#40 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

I was somewhat disappointed by this beer, only because of all the hype. Probably also because I had Prima Pils for the first time 2 weeks ago. Overall it is a good beer, and one of SA's better offerings.

It sounds like I need to try this prima pils. Is this the stuff: Linkerinkadingdong ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users