Photo
- - - - -

Got a sample of SA Noble Pilsner today...

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

... at the grocery store! Sweet! I think it was one of SA's better offerings and I really like the bright noble hops. Very nice beer. Makes me want to make a pils! I probably can't fit it in this year but for future reference - which kind of pils is this beer trying to go for? What's the appropriate wyeast strain for it?

#2 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

... at the grocery store! Sweet! I think it was one of SA's better offerings and I really like the bright noble hops. Very nice beer. Makes me want to make a pils! I probably can't fit it in this year but for future reference - which kind of pils is this beer trying to go for? What's the appropriate wyeast strain for it?

I'm drinking one with my girlfriend as I type, she's over my shoulder telling me to say she's so awesome because she bought this beer for me... hehem, us. We both agree it's damn tasty, I think it's going for a bo pils. German pils would be more bitter and op forward I think.ETA: I have a new editor apparently. And I missed one. Once Again.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

According to Sam Adams website for the Noble Pils it says that this is a Bohemian Pilsner and when I brew a Bo Pils I go with 2278 Czech Pils yeast. Wyeast suggests a couple of yeasts but 2278 is my preference. It is a nice beer that is true as well.from SA Website:Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover’s Choice election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

I'm drinking one with my girlfriend as I type, she's over my shoulder telling me to say she's so awesome because she bought this beer for me... hehem, us. We both agree it's damn tasty, I think it's going for a bo pils. German pils would be more bitter and op forward I think.ETA: I have a new editor apparently. And I missed one. Once Again.

beer advocate seems to think it's a German pils. I think it is fairly hop forward but I don't really have a baseline as I haven't had many authentic pilseners before.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

I think there was another thread here, right? I visit too many boards to remember. Anyway, someone said they saw a commercial that stated that they use 5 German hops. You can just imagine that it's Hallertau, Tettnanger, Mittelfruh, Spalt and maybe Perle or Hersbrucker or whatever. I had it a few times already and I like it too. My guess is that it's a "German Pilsner", period. I don't think they were going for "Bohemian" with this. For the yeast, I would guess that WLP830 could be one choice... maybe my first choice. A lot of the brighter lager strains meant for pilsner production are Czech actually... 2278, WLP800 and even that Staro 2782 create a very bright, crisp beer. But I think something like 830 is most probable. I agree it's a nice beer. If you make it, I will visit you. :)

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

I think there was another thread here, right? I visit too many boards to remember. Anyway, someone said they saw a commercial that stated that they use 5 German hops. You can just imagine that it's Hallertau, Tettnanger, Mittelfruh, Spalt and maybe Perle or Hersbrucker or whatever. I had it a few times already and I like it too. My guess is that it's a "German Pilsner", period. I don't think they were going for "Bohemian" with this. For the yeast, I would guess that WLP830 could be one choice... maybe my first choice. A lot of the brighter lager strains meant for pilsner production are Czech actually... 2278, WLP800 and even that Staro 2782 create a very bright, crisp beer. But I think something like 830 is most probable. I agree it's a nice beer. If you make it, I will visit you. :)

is that a threat or a promise Ken? :devil:ETA: 830 does sound like a nice strain

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

I see that most others consider it Bohemian or Czech. I haven't seen commercials or their site so if that's what they're going for, that's it. 2278 or WLP800 are great and both of them floc like a MOFO too.

#8 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

The 5 hops are Hallertauer, Spalt, Saaz, Tettnang, and Hersbrucker. It using a special malt found outside of prague which using traditional floor malting techniques.

#9 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

I've had this both in the bottle and on tap. I really enjoy this effort from SA. Besides their staple beers, I've always felt many of SA's seasonal/small batch beers were nothing to brag about. The SA Hefe has to be one of the worst ever, right next to Circus Boy. I was glad they have produced something that was something worth going back to the store for. If you haven't tried this beer yet keep your eye out for it ... definitely a very tasty beer.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:22 PM

I'm finishing off my 3rd 6er. Must be decent for me to do that!

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:02 AM

I see that most others consider it Bohemian or Czech. I haven't seen commercials or their site so if that's what they're going for, that's it. 2278 or WLP800 are great and both of them floc like a MOFO too.

2124 is listed as an equivalent to 830.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:04 AM

The 5 hops are Hallertauer, Spalt, Saaz, Tettnang, and Hersbrucker. It using a special malt found outside of prague which using traditional floor malting techniques.

That's going to be tough to pull off (getting all of those hops since I buy hops 1lb at a time). That's odd that he's using some special malt b/c the rep at the store yesterday said something about how this is one the first beers that Jim Kock made for his daughter's wedding. The special malt must not be part of the original recipe...

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54088 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

2124 is listed as an equivalent to 830.

I have seen that comparison before and I have used both of those yeasts many times. I would agree that they're similar, but I think 2124 creates a maltier-tasting beer and 830 creates a cleaner, crisper beer. If someone wrestled me to the ground while I was holding both, I would probably let the 830 go first (interesting vision there) but that's because 2124 might possibly be my favorite lager yeast of all time. One thing to remember is that some of these strains have no equivalent and some others are "very close", but not the same. Cheers.

#14 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

I just wish this beer came out in the middle of the summer, I could easily see it becoming my lawnmower beer.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64083 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:00 AM

I've steered away from anything but their Boston Lager the last few years since most of their other efforts have been decent, but uninspired. With all the positive talk, I'm looking forward to a test of this one. I've just recently fallen in love with Victory's Prima Pils, so it'll be an interesting comparison.

#16 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

The best thing about SA's Noble Pils is that it's their main seasonal right now, and I can find it in restaurants and bars that usually don't have a great selection on tap.

#17 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

This is a very good brew. I was talking to the guy at my local bottle shop and he said that he can't keep it in stock! I guess everyone else likes it too!

#18 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

beer advocate seems to think it's a German pils. I think it is fairly hop forward but I don't really have a baseline as I haven't had many authentic pilseners before.

I just saw the commercial for it today and the brewer said it was indeed a Bo Pils.

#19 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:51 AM

I've steered away from anything but their Boston Lager the last few years since most of their other efforts have been decent, but uninspired. With all the positive talk, I'm looking forward to a test of this one. I've just recently fallen in love with Victory's Prima Pils, so it'll be an interesting comparison.

Prima Pils is excellent, also try Stoudt's Pils that's another nice one. The SA pils is definitely the best seasonal they've done in a long time.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:53 AM

Prima Pils is excellent, also try Stoudt's Pils that's another nice one. The SA pils is definitely the best seasonal they've done in a long time.

I'll have to try those. I agree this is the best seasonal they've done in a while. Normally I find their seasonals a little meh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users