Photo
- - - - -

Got a sample of SA Noble Pilsner today...

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

It sounds like I need to try this prima pils. Is this the stuff: Linkerinkadingdong ?

Yeah that's it, an excellent brew.

#42 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

Yeah that's it, an excellent brew.

my favorite American Pilsner actually, but a bit hard to get out here

#43 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

After running through three bottles now I can truthfully say...meh...I've made better. Sorry Jim.Definitely not a Bo Pils.More like an German Pils.I'd like more aroma.

#44 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64091 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

My biggest gripe is that it cost me $10.29 for the sixer. WTF? I'm freakin' 50 miles from the brewery. Craft beer sixers at my closest liquor store have really gotten out of control. The prices there were reasonable when I moved here.

#45 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

My biggest gripe is that it cost me $10.29 for the sixer. WTF? I'm freakin' 50 miles from the brewery. Craft beer sixers at my closest liquor store have really gotten out of control. The prices there were reasonable when I moved here.

Wow and I am in NC and I bought a 6er for $8.99. I won't complain at all now.

#46 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

I can get a 12er for that price if it's on sale :stabby:ETA: or regular price if you aren't adding in the bottle deposit

#47 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

boston doesn't bottle, except for the 750 specialties they produce. But i agree, craft beer prices are getting ridiculously inflated in price.

#48 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:13 AM

The best example of a Pils in the US, for me, has been Trummer Pils. I'm sure that it never makes it east of the Mississippi and most likely not out of california/nevada/oregon.Every beer meeting that we have where Trummer shows, their beer is the first to disappear from the coolers. It is a damn good Pils.If you can find it, I highly recommend it.MolBasser

#49 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:07 AM

The best example of a Pils in the US, for me, has been Trummer Pils. I'm sure that it never makes it east of the Mississippi and most likely not out of california/nevada/oregon.Every beer meeting that we have where Trummer shows, their beer is the first to disappear from the coolers. It is a damn good Pils.If you can find it, I highly recommend it.MolBasser

well that doesn't help me!

#50 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:56 AM

I can get a 12er for that price if it's on sale :frank: ...

But would you want to drink it?

#51 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

I have not seen this around here,i was in detroit yesterday and found some.I had one late last night and i got to say i was impressed with the SA Noble Pilsner. Going to enjoy the other five,now to share or hide them. :D

#52 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64091 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:23 AM

I'll admit I've been drinking a lot of SA Noble Pils lately. It's a very drinkable brew and a good pils is a rare commodity on the shelves of a typical liquor store. It's kind of nice to get out of the typical american ale cycle. Plus I can get a 12-pk for $11.99.

Edited by JKoravos, 27 March 2010 - 06:24 AM.

#53 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

I'll admit I've been drinking a lot of SA Noble Pils lately. It's a very drinkable brew and a good pils is a rare commodity on the shelves of a typical liquor store. It's kind of nice to get out of the typical american ale cycle. Plus I can get a 12-pk for $11.99.

+1

#54 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

rare?It's in every single grocery store I have been to lately, but I think it has been mis-handled in transport or storage, because the bottled stuff is both darker in color and not nearly as clean tasting as the draft version. There was a period over the last several years where pilsner was my thing, even causing me to forsake the mighty IPA, I got pretty good at duplicating a decent German or Czech Pilsner, and unless my taste buds have atrophied and fallen off, it just doesn't taste right.The best Domestic made Pilsners I have sampled are Portage Bay and Prima, both of which blow the doors off of SA NP.

#55 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

Imma pick up another sixer today to see if it is better.We'll see.MolBasser

#56 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64091 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

rare?It's in every single grocery store I have been to lately, but I think it has been mis-handled in transport or storage, because the bottled stuff is both darker in color and not nearly as clean tasting as the draft version. There was a period over the last several years where pilsner was my thing, even causing me to forsake the mighty IPA, I got pretty good at duplicating a decent German or Czech Pilsner, and unless my taste buds have atrophied and fallen off, it just doesn't taste right.The best Domestic made Pilsners I have sampled are Portage Bay and Prima, both of which blow the doors off of SA NP.

I'm not saying the SANP is rare, it's ubiquitous at this point. I'm saying, before SANP came out, I would have had to go out of my way to get a decent pils (which, in turn, meant I rarely drank pils). I like that I can go to any liquor store around here (most of which have crappy selection) and get a decent lager (aside from SA Boston Lager, which I got tired of a decade ago).

#57 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

I'm not saying the SANP is rare, it's ubiquitous at this point. I'm saying, before SANP came out, I would have had to go out of my way to get a decent pils (which, in turn, meant I rarely drank pils). I like that I can go to any liquor store around here (most of which have crappy selection) and get a decent lager (aside from SA Boston Lager, which I got tired of a decade ago).

ohh, point taken :(

#58 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14734 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

The more I drink of this beer, the less I like it.I mean, it's still really good, and I've had quite a bit of it lately. However, there is a definite "buttery" quality - particularly if it warms up.I recently tried it head to head with Prima Pils, and I don't really care for the Prima. I guess it's a German style pils, but it's a little too dry and harsh on the tongue for my tastes. Actually, I don't think I've ever had a Victory beer that I really cared much for. Sorry. . .Gordon Biersch has a really good and very clean pils, but I'd prefer more hops. Dan's definitely not a hophead!I think SA nailed a great hop quality in theirs, and I like the malt profile as well. They just need to clean up the diacetyl.

#59 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

^If you want a really Saaz-hoppy Czech Pils, you should head over to LoneRider and try their Gunslinger Pilsner. :P

#60 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14734 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

^If you want a really Saaz-hoppy Czech Pils, you should head over to LoneRider and try their Gunslinger Pilsner. :rolf:

I hope to get by there this week to bug that head brewer guy and get a growler.Though, I have to tell you, I heard the guy who developed that recipe was a total douche!! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users