#41 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

Just pulled the trigger on ingredients for this beer. My most expensive batch to date. $65 for a 5 gallon batch. :crybaby: Not sure exactly when ill be brewing it up as ill need to make a pretty big starter. Hopefully sometime next week. :devil:

#42 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

Just got done with the cleanup. OG of 1.096 and smells wonderful! Only time will tell though. :frank:

#43 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

Great refresher on this thread! I just cracked one of these open a couple of nights ago that has been aging for over a year now, and it was F-ing AWESOME! It seemed a little sweet and underattenuated the first few months, but has dried out nicely and really become a subtle killer. :frank:

#44 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

I just tried some from my keg (yes, I still have plenty left), and at first taste, it seemed that it was a bit past its prime, so close to 2 years may be pushing it for this beer. I plan on bringing this to the next brew club to let them give more insight though.

#45 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

We're brewing 1.5bbls of this beast at MBC on the 4th of July weekend...second largest batch of the stupid one to date! :rolleyes:

#46 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

Just got done with the cleanup. OG of 1.096 and smells wonderful! Only time will tell though. :facepalm:

whatever you do don't drink a whole growler of it at deer camp :rolleyes:

#47 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

This is the first beer ive made with ginger, honey and spices. Fermentation is complete at about 1.016 This has to be the cloudiest beer ive ever made. Is that typical for this beer? Will it fall out when chilling? I used Irish Moss at 15 mins left in the boil. On a side note, I have a batch of American Hef that should be cloudy and isnt. I didnt use the Irish Moss in that one. :)

#48 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

This is the first beer ive made with ginger, honey and spices. Fermentation is complete at about 1.016 This has to be the cloudiest beer ive ever made. Is that typical for this beer? Will it fall out when chilling? I used Irish Moss at 15 mins left in the boil. On a side note, I have a batch of American Hef that should be cloudy and isnt. I didnt use the Irish Moss in that one. :)

it should clear , mine was cloudy going into cold aging, I used WL 575 though as to the Wheat, what kinda wheat malt did you use?

#49 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

it should clear , mine was cloudy going into cold aging, I used WL 575 though as to the Wheat, what kinda wheat malt did you use?

Dunno for sure...just your run of the mill (pun!) wheat malt from the LHBS.

#50 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

Dunno for sure...just your run of the mill (pun!) wheat malt from the LHBS.

I havew had the same thing happen on american wheats using Gambrinus Wheat malt, 2 times, they are cloudy for the first week in the keg then bam, clear Budweiser, and also no clarifier. what yeast did you use?

#51 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

what yeast did you use?

wlp320

#52 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

wlp320

huh, that shouldn't floc much, stir up teh keg!

#53 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

huh, that shouldn't floc much, stir up teh keg!

really? just swish it around?

#54 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

really? just swish it around?

it's the only thing i can come up with, perhaps start a new thread in the main beer section? edit to add Widmer deliberately stacks its Hefe Kegs upside down after filling.

Edited by miccullen, 30 June 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#55 dadzcool

dadzcool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

Kegged 15 gallons of Liquid Stupid last Tuesday. This is from the batch made on July 4 at Mattingly's with Drewslue and Alpha Male. Tasted at transfer, really a wonderful beer. I can't recommend it more highly.

#56 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Kegged 15 gallons of Liquid Stupid last Tuesday. This is from the batch made on July 4 at Mattingly's with Drewslue and Alpha Male. Tasted at transfer, really a wonderful beer. I can't recommend it more highly.

best homebrew belgian recipe I have tried bar none and the sneakiest

#57 Alpha Male

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCollinsville Il.

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:33 AM

We had a stupid party at a buddies house a couple of months ago with a 3 year old stupid. Yup I said 3 years old. 13 bombers and a few 12 ozers. We all work nights and had the party after a end of month/quarter day. In the freight biz, that's a hard day. There were 5 of us and we pretty much killed the beers and passed the hell out. That beer was very smooth and dangerously drinkable. Dadzcool and I are going to try to develop a LSD or liquid stupid dark. A belgian Dark Stong or quad as base beer. We had a brewing session last week and brainstormed a bit. Had a beer from Dogfish head with black chai tea and juniper berries in it. Gave us some inspiration. Maybe some form of spiced tea will find its way into the beer. I will post the LSD recipe when we perfect it.Jeff

#58 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

Just tried my first small taste of the batch I made about a year ago. Tried just a small sip. Wow! Nice flavor, not too much of an alcohol burn. Kinda sweet. So far, I really like it. I just have to give it a few more days carbonating and then ill try a glass.

#59 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

I poured a glass today and am really happy with the way this turned out after a little over a year. Nice sweet flavor but not cloyingly so. some spice notes complement the flavor nicely. It is also a beautiful golden color and is crystal clear. If you have been putting off brewing this, wait no more. :smilielol:

#60 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

I poured a glass today and am really happy with the way this turned out after a little over a year. Nice sweet flavor but not cloyingly so. some spice notes complement the flavor nicely. It is also a beautiful golden color and is crystal clear. If you have been putting off brewing this, wait no more. :smilielol:

just don't drink a half gallon growler of it at once

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users