Liquid Stupid

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

I *so* have to try this...*drools*

I thinking this as well.For those of you who have made this, what do you think about adding a vanilla bean or two in secondary?

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

I thinking this as well.For those of you who have made this, what do you think about adding a vanilla bean or two in secondary?

hmmm. ,maybe

#23 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

make it as is, then change it if you feel it needs it. Just try it as is though, it's aMAZing. As has been stated many times before, the difficulty with this one is keeping it around to hit it's prime!!

#24 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

make it as is, then change it if you feel it needs it. Just try it as is though, it's aMAZing. As has been stated many times before, the difficulty with this one is keeping it around to hit it's prime!!

When the time comes, I may have to do one of each. I've read lots about that warm, fuzzy feeling as it goes down. Just thought a lil vanilla might be icing on the cake. :devil:

#25 Alpha Male

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCollinsville Il.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

Kegged my over a year old Stupid. Tried it Sunday, damn fine, damn fine. ;) Jeff

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

Kegged my over a year old Stupid. Tried it Sunday, damn fine, damn fine. ;) Jeff

a year old, you have more patience than me my friend. gotta be buttah

#27 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

Just transferred the second go around with this to secondary. Went from .091 down to .015 with 3787. Tasted damn fine. Only got a few bottles left from last summer, damn fine beer. This time I will be bottling 3/4 of the keg.

#28 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Anyone try this recipe with WLP550? Any reason not to?

#29 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:42 PM

just opened my trunk and found an untouched case of 12 bombers of this stuff going on 10 months old at this point..... liquid gold...stupid stupid gold.

#30 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

I'm planning on giving this a shot tomorrow. I use a Counter flow chiller, so I only really have access to near-boiling and (in this weather) ready to pitch temp wort - when should I add the honey?Also, which of these places would likely have the cheapest orange blossom honey - Grocery store, WalMart, or Trader Joe's?

#31 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

You can just send the wort right back into the kettle from the output of the chiller 'til you hit your temp.Freshness matters, as well, I would go with TJ or a local supermarket.

#32 dadzcool

dadzcool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

Just finished kegging ten gallons of liquid stupid today. OG was 1.079, FG was 1.009....it finished way low of what I was shooting for...but it did taste really fine heading into the kegs...really a solid recipe...

#33 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

I still have around half a keg of a batch I made in august, 2008, and it is excellent. It is about time I made another batch, and I am in the process of making it one of the last beers in my current belgian series, so that I will have a good yeast cake to pitch on to.

#34 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Am just now slowly polishing off my last bottle of LS brewed in June '08. I wish I had foreseen this day and stocked away another batch. Alas, I will now brew it again and look forward to this day sometime toward the end of the Mayan calendar. Thank you, Alpha Male, damn fine, mighty goddamn fine.

#35 Flashman

Flashman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

I brewed this one 11/08. I moved in 3/09, and a couple of weeks ago I was unpacking some of my empty beer bottles and I found almost a case of this beer in my beer room. I threw a couple in the fridge and had one tonight...it's awesome. If you brew this, definitely be patient and set aside some for aging.

#36 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:13 AM

yeah, just cracked a brew the other night with a buddy and we were pleasantly surprised that the IPA we had opened happened to be a 12 month old bottle of LS. DAMMMMMMN this one just gets better and better and better. Brought a couple bombers to school to celebrate the end of term 'round christmas and fed some samples to a BMC crowd, they all LOVED it and swore it couldn't be beer hahaha.Also took a few bombers home and shared with my family, to profound and resounding exclamations of enjoyment followed by disappointment that it was all gone hahaha.Thanks again for the recipe, if you are even half considering making this, do it and put it away for a rainy day - it'll turn that rain to shine. :cheers: :cheers:

#37 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

To re-pitch or not to pitch?I brewed this in Dec, pitched 4L starter of WLP550.O.G was 1.103, in Jan gravity was 1.024 - it's currently at 1.020.What you y'all think?Low enough - move to secondary?Pitch champagne yeast?Warm up a bit and roust?Other?

#38 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

To re-pitch or not to pitch? I brewed this in Dec, pitched 4L starter of WLP550. O.G was 1.103, in Jan gravity was 1.024 - it's currently at 1.020. What you y'all think? Low enough - move to secondary? Pitch champagne yeast? Warm up a bit and roust? Other?

I'd vote for warming up a bit and try to wake them up. I have had primaries that have "stuck" but then after moving to secondary form another krausen and start off again. If that doesn't work, then consider some other yeast.

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

I'd vote for warming up a bit and try to wake them up. I have had primaries that have "stuck" but then after moving to secondary form another krausen and start off again. If that doesn't work, then consider some other yeast.

this sounds like it should work fine, the comments for this yeast from other brewers on the WL site, usually mention warming into the 70's to finish off. That being said, 80% attenuation is pretty well finished, if it doesn't budge further, I believe you are done.

#40 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Ok, im about to pull the trigger on this recipe. My mouth waters every time i read this thread. Any updates from you guys that brewed it? Is it worth the $$? It will be a fairly spendy one to brew. :facepalm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users