#61 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:03 PM

I kind of need something to do. I played about 3 hours last night just hunting and surviving. Pretty sure I could go at least 150 more days like this, not counting rabbits.

#62 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:20 PM

- summit of timberwolf mountain
- ash canyon gold mine
- prison and accompanying mine

These are all pretty fun imo

#63 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 February 2022 - 08:55 PM

I'm not ready for any of those yet, but I did go into the muskeg today to find and use the forge. Went pretty well although again I accidentally left my bed roll somewhere. Ugh! It's so easy to do for some reason. But luckily I was pretty close to the homestead where the forge is. A couple cups of coffee got me through the blizzard to the homestead where I could sleep - and luckily there was an extra bedroll to make up for my dumbassedness.

So I stayed there a few days recovering, reading a book I found there, and playing with the forge. I had enough food with what was there and what I brought so it wasn't a problem. I kill a wolf wandering around the property and cook them on the still hot forge to stock up some meat for the Trek back home.

Again the wolves kept bothering me. I killed two more left their hides but carried the meat. I was going for a shelter to hunker down and cook it. Then I saw another bear.

I think I've got my bear killing technique down now. See, first you let them maul you so they get all cocky. Then after you stand up and bandage your bleeding wounds, he's walking around overconfident, THEN you shoot him as he's charging you for the second time. I mean, n = 2, but so far it's been a 100% technique for me. It killed me to leave 36 kg of bear meat behind, but I did take his skin.

As I left the save I have slept in a snow shelter overnight healing my wounds, cooking that troublesome wolf meat, and trying to repair my clothes. When I wake up next time try to make it back into the mountain town without coffee to climb the ropes. We'll see.

#64 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 10:30 AM

I'm at the prison right now, working on getting my gunsmithing up to level 5. (Actually just hit 5 a few minutes ago). There are at least 3 wolves that spawn here, though it's pretty easy to avoid them most of the time once you've finished cleaning out the back part. Almost got killed when 2 of them attacked me in a row. I only had one antiseptic dose so I had to let one bite get infected and then treat with antibiotics. Close one!

#65 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 February 2022 - 07:20 AM

Both of my longer games are still saved, but I moved on to trying stalker difficulty.  First one got killed pretty quickly. Froze to death trying to get out of the trapper's cabin in Mystery lake.  Blizzard stopped me from lighting a fire. Second one killed in 5 days by three wolves at once.  Not timber wolves in a pack, but 3 regular wolves all visible at the same time attacking me pretty much in succession.  I had the damn revolver, too; that thing doesn't do enough damage for what it's supposed to be (.44 Mag or .45 LC).  The new one has lasted about 9 days. I still can't find a hatchet, though, and it's becoming a real problem.

#66 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:36 AM

This fecking game, Man. I took a break for a couple weeks. Came back and got killed by the the wild trio again. So much for the wolf coat scaring then away.

#67 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 04 April 2022 - 07:01 AM

Bear #3 down to my patented 'play dead' method.  That's a lot of meat to carry back to the homestead, but it's too valuable to leave.  With Cooking 5 they're 1125 Cal each. I'm relaying it this time instead of trying to slog it back hugely overweight.

I'm about 45 days in on this one, fully equipped and have enough food to last 50 or 60 days - again not counting rabbits.  My limitations now are actually matches because I didn't understand the torch method and wasted a lot of matches getting to Fire 5. Reclaimed wood to make snares is also getting a little bit scarce, and I've stopped burning it for fires.

#68 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 April 2022 - 10:56 AM

You still playing stain?

I think I've officially got this game beat now.  I can survive basically forever now, only limited by exhausting non-renewable resources like scrap metal to make fishing hooks or birch to make arrows.  Now that I've found the magnifying glass, fire is no longer a problem.  I'm exploring now just for the sake of it, but I no longer need to.  I'm at 112 days.

#69 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 11:07 AM

I haven't for a bit but they just released a patch for that damn key issue so I'm probably going to start up again.

Edited by Stains_not_here_man, 23 April 2022 - 11:07 AM.

#70 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 11:11 AM

If anyone's on the fence, this game is 66% off today on Steam

Edited by Stains_not_here_man, 01 August 2022 - 11:11 AM.

#71 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 December 2022 - 11:24 AM

Big update and the DLC is now available.  Only problem is that saved games are not compatible with the update so you have to start a new Survival game.  I've already seen new stuff, though I haven't gone to any new places yet.

#72 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 11:26 AM

I picked the new DLC up on PC but haven't played it yet. Tomorrow is looking like a good day though.

#73 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 December 2022 - 01:11 PM

Welp.  Met my first moose.  He trampled me FIVE TIMES! before I could get away. Five broken ribs something like two weeks to heal.  Didn't die though.

#74 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, they're mean. I like to hunt them but it's hard to find them most of the time.

#75 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 May 2023 - 07:37 PM

I've been obsessed with this recently. I had a 200 day Stalker run die by mistake and got pissed. I was gun shy about committing to another run so I started playing throwaway Interloper where no runs lasted longer than a single session.

At least not at first. My longest run has been 18 days. I was getting destroyed in minutes until I watched a few videos and got into the Interloper nomad mindset.

Then I went back to Stalker yesterday and I'm shocked by how dramatically that short Interloper period improved my Stalker game.

#76 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58768 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 11 May 2023 - 02:55 AM

So, you should be pretty good at this game by now. Huh? Better than stain?

#77 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:57 AM

I think stain knows a lot more about the world then me. I read through the whole thread yesterday and my early ineptitude is pretty funny. Who knows what I still don't know.

#78 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111243 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 05:06 AM

Been to the prison yet? :D

#79 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47724 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 May 2023 - 06:39 AM

Been to the prison yet? :D

Nope.  I've spent almost all my time in Milton, Mystery Lake, and Pleasant Valley - plus Carter Dam and environs but I think of that as ML.  Recently, I've branched out a bit to Broken Railroad and Costal Highway, and wandered around Desolation point on a throwaway Voyager scout.  I mean, I have been started in Hushed River Valley and Timberwolf Mountain during those early Interloper runs, but those usually lasted just a few hours of time in-game because I couldn't find matches. My natural gaming instinct is to hunker down and build up a base.  That's why I was getting slaughtered when I first started Interloper, and I had to un-learn that.  You have to really MOVE, especially in the early game. 

Honestly, I think that level of difficulty is broken and Stalker is the best way to play the game for most fun.  Barring dumb luck, success in Interloper absolutely depends on knowing the areas well.  You can't wander and explore, you have to already know where the closest guaranteed matches are and haul ass there immediately before anything else.  And you have to already know where you can sleep because you don't start with a bedroll, though with pre-knowledge (again) you can find a bedroll at a few predetermined places.  So the only way to get more than a few hours is already knowing where to go from experience or looking up stuff online.  It's also less fun because there's just less stuff to do and collect because so many items are missing.

What Interloper teaches is how to actually manage your condition meters, that it's okay to be cold or tired, that clothes don't need to be new, and that cattails are gold.  

#80 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18981 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 11 May 2023 - 06:41 AM

I'm off work today and it's going to rain all day, so no real plans, thinking I might revisit this game. I played it on PC before. I'm guessing I'll have to buy it again for PS4, but oh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users