81 replies to this topic

#1 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:02 PM

Thought I had a thread on this but didn't see it...

Anyone else played this game? It's older (but still gets regular new content updates).

There are two modes, Story and Survival but honestly Story mode isn't very good. Survival mode is basically a sandbox environment where you try to see how long you can survive (my current record is 168 days). There is no "end" or specific goals, you just keep going as long as you can.

It's probably my favorite game of all time, I've got hundreds of hours into it at this point.

The basic premise is a survival/crafting experience which is probably my favorite genre (see also: Subnautica)

Basically, your plane crashed in the Canadian wilderness following a "geomagnetic disaster" and basically everyone else has either left the area or died so you have to survive. Build fires to stay warm, forage for food, etc. Hunt deer, wolves, bears, use their skins to make clothes. Fun times.

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58915 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:12 PM

Multiplayer? Are there other humans in the game?

#3 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:15 PM

No. Single player. The story mode has other annoying humans but the survival mode only has corpses.

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58915 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:03 PM

No. Single player. The story mode has other annoying humans but the survival mode only has corpses.

Oh i like corpses. Food and loot.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47788 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:09 PM

Thought I had a thread on this but didn't see it...

Anyone else played this game? It's older (but still gets regular new content updates).

There are two modes, Story and Survival but honestly Story mode isn't very good. Survival mode is basically a sandbox environment where you try to see how long you can survive (my current record is 168 days). There is no "end" or specific goals, you just keep going as long as you can.

It's probably my favorite game of all time, I've got hundreds of hours into it at this point.

The basic premise is a survival/crafting experience which is probably my favorite genre (see also: Subnautica)

Basically, your plane crashed in the Canadian wilderness following a "geomagnetic disaster" and basically everyone else has either left the area or died so you have to survive. Build fires to stay warm, forage for food, etc. Hunt deer, wolves, bears, use their skins to make clothes. Fun times.

So it's worth $35?

#6 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 06:13 PM

I don't recall what I paid but that sounds right. Given the amount of time I've played it, I think it's probably worth that. I've paid twice as much for games that I finished in 2 weeks and never played again. I bought it way back in like 2016 on PC and bought it again on PS4 in 2019. I take long breaks but I've been playing the hell out of it the past few weeks since there's been a new expansion.
I recommend maybe watching some gameplay video to see if it's your style.

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47788 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 January 2022 - 06:29 PM

Damnit, Stain, the game says that it's not a replacement for real survival training.  AND it does not condone the wanton destruction of wildlife.  

WTF?

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47788 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:26 PM

In all seriousness, this game doesn't have a jump?

#9 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19000 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:27 PM

I bought it for computer, played in the laptop and was pretty fun. My computer was underpowered though. I should try on the PS4.

#10 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:28 PM

In all seriousness, this game doesn't have a jump?

No jump.

You get used to it.

It's very slow paced in a lot of ways. Lots of long, quiet walks.

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47788 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 January 2022 - 09:33 PM

I played for about 2 hours.  The story is annoying, but I don't see any other way to learn how to do stuff than progress a while through it.  I'll keep going.

#12 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:53 AM

Yeah, it's good imo to do the first episode or two just to get introduced to the mechanics. But survival mode is where the real fun is :frank:

#13 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:00 PM

Here are some other games to check out if you like this one:

Stranded Deep
Subnautica and its sequel
Don't Starve

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47788 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 January 2022 - 07:51 AM

Ugh, this game is frustrating!  Played survival for 2 hours and never did find a useful tool, knife or hatchet.  I found a fecking revolver, but that apparently does nothing even when I shoot wolves directly in the head.  Eventually I just attacked a bear out of frustration and offed myself.

Seriously, what kind of bush pilot flies over a blizzard without at least a knife in his pocket? <_<

#15 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58915 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 January 2022 - 08:13 AM

Ugh, this game is frustrating!  Played survival for 2 hours and never did find a useful tool, knife or hatchet.  I found a fecking revolver, but that apparently does nothing even when I shoot wolves directly in the head.  Eventually I just attacked a bear out of frustration and offed myself.

Seriously, what kind of bush pilot flies over a blizzard without at least a knife in his pocket? <_<

There's no mechanic to put the revolver in your mouth? Unrealistic.

#16 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 08:39 AM

Ugh, this game is frustrating! Played survival for 2 hours and never did find a useful tool, knife or hatchet. I found a fecking revolver, but that apparently does nothing even when I shoot wolves directly in the head. Eventually I just attacked a bear out of frustration and offed myself.

Lol. Yeah, the revolver especially at low skill levels is tough to hit with, especially from hip shots. But it often makes them run away if you blast a couple bullets at them.

Due to the random nature it can vary a lot when it comes to loot. On my current game (103 days) I have found 5 revolvers but only 2 hatchets. I've found as many as 8 hatchets on other runs.

It can be a brutal game especially at any difficulty higher than Voyageur. You will die a lot, it's expected.

#17 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47788 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 January 2022 - 08:39 AM

There's no mechanic to put the revolver in your mouth? Unrealistic.

IKR?  There's also no mechanic to gnaw meat from frozen carcasses with your teeth.

#18 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58915 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 January 2022 - 08:51 AM

IKR?  There's also no mechanic to gnaw meat from frozen carcasses with your teeth.

I need like an orthedonal peripheral so i can play the game as truly intended.

#19 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58915 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:08 PM

On sale for $12

In

#20 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge