73 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:39 PM

I used Voss a month or so ago. It wasn't too hot yet so I pitched at 90, put on the brew belt and a sweatshirt around the fermenter, and it maintained between 94-97. Pretty much finished fermentation in less than 48 hours from pitching. Iirc, OG was around 1.068 and finished around 1.007. From what I read, Kveiks seem to favor stronger worts.

I have read that too, they perform better in the iipa strength vs the apa.

#22 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:44 PM

Dry Voss Kveik with Rakau and Sabro hops I brewed last month...

PXL-20210605-014237359-NIGHT.jpg

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:59 PM

Tell me what you get from that hop combo... Sounds interesting.

#24 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:11 PM

Totally different Kveik strain on this one. Not as creamy a head as it's not in my kegerator. Espe, dried yeast. This is from that eBay order where it looks homemade. Very complex, fig, honey, and slightly Belgiany.

PXL-20210605-020546547.jpg

Edited by Gusso, 04 June 2021 - 07:12 PM.

#25 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:33 PM

Tell me what you get from that hop combo... Sounds interesting.

I don't have the best palette for descriptions, my wife is better at that. She does like the combo, tho. Definitely not as tropical as some of the newer hops, it's there but not prominent. I get strawberry and stone fruit. I used a good amount, an ounce or two in the boil, 5 in WP, and 4 DH (evenly split in each addition).

#26 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:36 PM

My wife popped out for a second. I told her to take a swig and give me her impression. She called cantaloupe and strawberry.

#27 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:12 PM

I might add, it's definitely not as aggressive as the tropical hops. Nice, but more subdued. If that makes sense.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:49 PM

Thanks. That sounds like it would be a good combination for an easy drinking apa. Different than what I am used to but not totally out there.

#29 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 June 2021 - 05:16 PM

The yeast showed up today.  This stuff seems to start fast from what I've read.  Thinking about pulling a half gallon of wort early in the boil, chilling to  100-95df and pitching a gram or so for a brew day starter

#30 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:05 PM

You won't need a starter. It might finish in about 48 hours. Or do you mean having yeast for another brewday?

#31 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:07 PM

You won't need a starter. It might finish in about 48 hours. Or do you mean having yeast for another brewday?

Yeah, just being my usual cheap self.  I want to brew this week and thought this could make a brew day starter

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:10 AM

I just read a blog post where the guy use Hornidal and dumped it into a mason jar from the package and used 1-1.5 tsp of the slurry for each 5g batch.

#33 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:12 AM

Yeah, just being my usual cheap self. I want to brew this week and thought this could make a brew day starter

Never did like you described but I'm pretty sure it would work.

#34 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:14 AM

I just read a blog post where the guy use Hornidal and dumped it into a mason jar from the package and used 1-1.5 tsp of the slurry for each 5g batch.

Yup. I've heard this as well. I haven't attempted it, I used a small jar (about 8 oz of Lutra) of slurry that was about one month old without a starter. No problem.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:36 AM

Yup. I've heard this as well. I haven't attempted it, I used a small jar (about 8 oz of Lutra) of slurry that was about one month old without a starter. No problem.

I have a package of Loki and I am debating just giving it a try.  I have a bunch of hops I should do something with so I may throw some kind of kitchen sink beer together and try a couple tsp's of slurry.

#36 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:46 PM

Not a Kveik but I have Jovaru coming tomorrow. Lithuanian farmhouse yeast. Gonna brew up something this weekend. Thinking about 12# of pils or MO with about 2# rye malt. Probably just styrian Goldings for hops - or, or, not sure.

#37 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

I went ahead and made a starter today with a gram out of the pack.  Friday brew hopefully

#38 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:51 PM

I went ahead and made a starter today with a gram out of the pack. Friday brew hopefully

So, you're saving the rest of the pack for the future? If I'm understanding you, it will probably work but I thought you were doing it in the reverse.

#39 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:54 PM

So, you're saving the rest of the pack for the future? If I'm understanding you, it will probably work but I thought you were doing it in the reverse.

Yeah, changed my mind and am saving 10g for another day.  I do that a lot and will have enough from this starter to reserve some for another day........

#40 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:12 PM

Gonna give this a try tomorrow.  Crashed about 2L and reserved some for later.  Viking extra pale with some domestic 2-row  a little C-20 and cascades

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users