#61 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 09 October 2021 - 08:06 AM

I just noticed that RiteBrew now has dry Omega Lutra yeast. I'll have to buy a few packs.

#62 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:29 PM

Ordered 3. Plus Verdant and something else I can't remember at the moment.

#63 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:00 PM

I pitched a little under 3 gm of dry Voss today in 10 gallons at ~100df. It was pushing CO2 in a 1/2 gallon blow off bucket in about 4 hours

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:08 PM

I pitched a little under 3 gm of dry Voss today in 10 gallons at ~100df. It was pushing CO2 in a 1/2 gallon blow off bucket in about 4 hours

that is crazy.  so are you buying lallemand 11g packs?  do you just measure out 3gm and vacuum seal the pack up or something?  with those pitching rates this is an incredibly economical yeast.  I'd have to heat the fermentation freezer for sure.

Edited by Mando, 19 November 2021 - 05:08 PM.

#65 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:23 PM

I really like the Kveik yeasts I've used so far (4-5). I haven't done the underpitch thingee as of yet. In the summer, I just ferment in my sauna like garage. In cooler months, I put my fermenter in a closet with a mini heater and brew belt. I easily maintain mid 90's.

#66 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 06:34 PM

that is crazy.  so are you buying lallemand 11g packs?  do you just measure out 3gm and vacuum seal the pack up or something?  with those pitching rates this is an incredibly economical yeast.  I'd have to heat the fermentation freezer for sure.

That's exactly what I did.  The last couple batches I started around 100df and fermented at around 72df ambient with no added heat.  Seemed to work OK.  I was using about 1 lb of grain for a mini mash when I would reserve part of a starter for the next batch.  This makes brewing with almost no planning easier at my place

#67 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 19 November 2021 - 07:09 PM

Do you get that orange taste from that? Supposedly, under pitching brings that out. I would like that in a tropical style IPA.

#68 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 08:07 PM

Subtle but it's there

#69 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 November 2021 - 05:09 AM

That's exactly what I did.  The last couple batches I started around 100df and fermented at around 72df ambient with no added heat.  Seemed to work OK.  I was using about 1 lb of grain for a mini mash when I would reserve part of a starter for the next batch.  This makes brewing with almost no planning easier at my place

not following the second half of your post.  I thought you were just pitching dry yeast straight in to your primary?  what is the starter for?

#70 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 20 November 2021 - 06:14 AM

not following the second half of your post. I thought you were just pitching dry yeast straight in to your primary? what is the starter for?

I was also wondering about that.

#71 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 06:25 AM

It's easier to get more out of that dried KV than when I harvest different yeast from a starter to use it again.  

#72 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 November 2021 - 06:38 AM

It's easier to get more out of that dried KV than when I harvest different yeast from a starter to use it again.  

ah!  got it.

#73 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:02 PM

Well this last batch stalled on me.  Pitched around 100df and left it during Thanksgiving for 5 days.  I thought it had finished before we left.  Took a gravity and it had dropped from around 1.050 to 1.030.  I covered the fermenter and put a 30w heating pad on it.  It started up again and I think it's ready to keg.  I guess 72df ambient is too cool for this yeast sometimes

#74 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22169 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:34 PM

In cooler months, I use a brew belt and even put it in a closet with a portable heater.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users