#41 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:51 PM

Wow - brewed Friday morning and this was ripping in a little over an hour.  Pitched at 102 and now it's down to almost 72df.  Guess I need to do a gravity sample in a day or so.  I haven't done one in ages - I can usually tell by blowoff bucket activity (SS fermenters) but this yeast is new to me. I'm not getting the fruity aroma so far but the hop aroma is much more than I usually get.  15 minute addition.  I hope I can start carbing this soon.

#42 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:28 PM

Not a Kveik but I have Jovaru coming tomorrow. Lithuanian farmhouse yeast. Gonna brew up something this weekend. Thinking about 12# of pils or MO with about 2# rye malt. Probably just styrian Goldings for hops - or, or, not sure.

I used the Jovaru (Lithuanian farmhouse yeast) on Friday. After 48 hours, gravity went from 1.072 to 1.010 Fermented at 92 under pressure. I decided on Green Bullet and Wakatu instead of Styrian Goldings.

#43 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:47 PM

It's now pretty much done fermenting. 1.005. Gonna pack a punch.

#44 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:10 PM

Mine's still showing activity in the blowoff bucket but it's down to ambient temperature now.  I have a heating pad coming this weekend for the next round.

I though I was screwed when I sealed up the Blichmann.  All I ever use is a blowoff container anymore.  It started showing activity immediately.  So I put the blowoff container in a bigger container.  And after a few minutes I realized the headspace expanded with the 100+ df wort.  duh.....  kinda funny actually

#45 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:30 PM

So I squeezed out another point. 1.004. I didn't expect a 9% beer from 14.25 pounds of grain! I'll probably cold crash tomorrow and transfer before going on vacation next Monday.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:36 PM

So I squeezed out another point. 1.004. I didn't expect a 9% beer from 14.25 pounds of grain! I'll probably cold crash tomorrow and transfer before going on vacation next Monday.

efficient use of grain!

#47 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:28 PM

efficient use of grain!

I'm sure Vagus would agree if he ventured over to this section. Hoping it doesn't taste like rocket fuel!

#48 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:47 PM

Really?  Mine is still blowing some CO2.  I used a more than a bit more grain and some brown sugar.  Oops. I guess gravity sample is in my future.

#49 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:21 PM

Just put it in the fridge to cold crash. Gonna transfer tomorrow or Sunday.

#50 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 18 June 2021 - 01:58 PM

Good thing, too. I just noticed that my Italian pilsner and IPA are just about kicked. I'm doing a NZ pils when I get back from vacation. Another IPA, too.

#51 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

# 2 was cranking hard after less than two hours.  A bit more than 100ml of loose slurry - 10 gal batch..  Put a blanket and a little 30W heating pad on it after pitching at 102df.  Hope this tastes good.  Wheat beer with Amarillo.  Started carbing #1 a day ago.

#52 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 19 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

I have a Kveik Arset fermenting hard in my garage right now - sitting at 92 degrees. Wow, the fruity aroma is intense. Lots of hops in this so I'm not sure how much the yeast vs hops is contributing. Although I must say, it was quite fruity before my first DH. Anyway, looking forward to it.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:04 PM

It would be great to do a flight of your beers. All new yeasts to me!

#54 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 10 September 2021 - 04:21 PM

I winged a brew the other day with Voss. Gravity dropped from 1.079 to 1.005 in 3 days. Getting a bit worried as its still bubbling. I figured it was done this morning.

#55 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:02 PM

I've probably brewed 60 - 70 gallons with this yeast (dried, Voss).  Made a starter with a gram and still have the rest.  I like it OK and can pick up a little citrus.  Been nice not running the window rattler chamber this summer.  I'm not getting the gravity drop that you  are.  Pitching at 100df give or take a bit.  It's starting fast but taking close to 2 weeks to finish.  The current batch is ready to keg but I haven't had time to do it.  I'm using a crappy little heating pad and crappy insulation but still at 82df after 14 days.  I guess it's my ambient temp or I should try another Kveik yeast

#56 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 September 2021 - 06:49 AM

In my experience with these yeasts, temperature control is still important. They don’t seem to like big fluctuations, even tho they tolerate high temps.

#57 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:21 PM

In my experience with these yeasts, temperature control is still important. They don’t seem to like big fluctuations, even tho they tolerate high temps.

At my place it starts around 100df and gradually drops off.  Basement brewery.  I'm brewing/kegging tomorrow and the fermenter was at 82df.  I guess it needs to stay hot.  I don't know Scandanavian weather but I would think the window for fermenting hot  is not all that long.  I'm still happy using this strain and need to try some others.

#58 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:51 PM

When I use it in my garage during the summer, it maintains low to mid 90's. During cooler months, I can maintain mid 80's with my brew belt in my house.

#59 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:16 PM

At my place it starts around 100df and gradually drops off. Basement brewery. I'm brewing/kegging tomorrow and the fermenter was at 82df. I guess it needs to stay hot. I don't know Scandanavian weather but I would think the window for fermenting hot is not all that long. I'm still happy using this strain and need to try some others.

Who knows how completely fermented these beers have traditionally been in Scandinavia

I’m not even sure if they ferment that hot or if the yeasts just happen to work that hot

#60 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:02 PM

Who knows how completely fermented these beers have traditionally been in Scandinavia

I’m not even sure if they ferment that hot or if the yeasts just happen to work that hot

were they really made in a barn in the summer?  I would think it's pretty hot in there even in scandinavia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users