#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:09 PM

Some is on the way - dry.  Any tips?  Ambient in the brew area is 70 - 73df depending on the season.  Will this work if I pitch into 90df wort?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:17 PM

Some is on the way - dry.  Any tips?  Ambient in the brew area is 70 - 73df depending on the season.  Will this work if I pitch into 90df wort?

I have no tips but I'm interested to hear how this goes for you.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:23 PM

My window rattler that cools the fermentation chamber froze up a couple days ago shortly after I pitched.  This hadn't happened in a few years - I thought I had the controller set to parameters that would work..  Humidity and the whole house AC hadn't been running much.  It's been wet and cool here.  I figured it was as good a time as any to try this.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:24 PM

My window rattler that cools the fermentation chamber froze up a couple days ago shortly after I pitched.  This hadn't happened in a few years - I thought I had the controller set to parameters that would work..  Humidity and the whole house AC hadn't been running much.  It's been wet and cool here.  I figured it was as good a time as any to try this.

I don't think my basement actually gets cool enough to use these yeasts without a space heater helping things at least at the start.  is this a liquid or a dry yeast?  are these pretty economical or are they priced just like all of the other yeasts out there?

#5 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:40 PM

lallemand voss kveik - dry

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:06 PM

Some is on the way - dry. Any tips? Ambient in the brew area is 70 - 73df depending on the season. Will this work if I pitch into 90df wort?

It should work fine if you pitch it at 90. It will be fast too.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2021 - 03:11 AM

That's crazy but I'd def save some water and/or ice only having to chill to 90f. Those last 15 degrees are always the hardest.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2021 - 03:30 AM

Are these packets intended for 5 gallons? Can you reuse the yeast cake?

#9 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22144 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 03:57 AM

I've used Voss at 95-97. Works great. Kveik is now my summer yeast. I have about 6 different variations. I just put my fermenters in the hot ass garage.

#10 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22144 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:01 AM

Yes, you can reuse the yeast. Many people just spread the slurry on parchment paper and dry it out in a warm oven. But I have yet to try that method. I've just used slurry in mason jars.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:04 AM

What size batch is one packet good for? This stuff is a little pricey for dry yeast.

$6 at my semi-lhbs.

Edited by Mando, 04 June 2021 - 04:06 AM.

#12 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22144 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:07 AM

I don't think my basement actually gets cool enough to use these yeasts without a space heater helping things at least at the start. is this a liquid or a dry yeast? are these pretty economical or are they priced just like all of the other yeasts out there?

Run about the same price as conventional yeast (dry or liquid). There are a few different commercial liquid strains and just Voss in dry form. That's from "real" companies. I recently bought 5 different dry strains from an eBay seller. They look like they were packaged in Bjorn's barn but my first attempt with Espe went well.

Edited by Gusso, 04 June 2021 - 04:08 AM.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:12 AM

My initial internet searching seems to imply you actually want to underpitch (relative to what I'm used to anyway). So maybe one packet is more than enough for 10 gallons???

Run about the same price as conventional yeast (dry or liquid). There are a few different commercial liquid strains and just Voss in dry form. That's from "real" companies. I recently bought 5 different dry strains from an eBay seller. They look like they were packaged in Bjorn's barn but my first attempt with Espe went well.

I said cool but I should have said warm. Just clarifying. My basement is too cool in the summer :P

#14 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22144 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:12 AM

What size batch is one packet good for? This stuff is a little pricey for dry yeast.

$6 at my semi-lhbs.

$3.89 at RiteBrew. While I have yet to try it, some people think it's best to pitch a half pack. Supposedly, an under pitch results in more fruity flavor.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:13 AM

$3.89 at RiteBrew. While I have yet to try it, some people think it's best to pitch a half pack. Supposedly, an under pitch results in more fruity flavor.

After that shipping tho. It's okay. If it's really one pack for 10 gallons I don't mind $6 at all. Very reasonable.

I need to head over there for some castle chocolate malt anyway. I'm kind of wanting to try this stuff in a few things.

Obvious options seen like IPA and the Baltic Porter. What are your favorite styles for this stuff?

Edited by Mando, 04 June 2021 - 04:15 AM.

#16 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22144 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:17 AM

This stuff is perfect for Charleston. Right now, it's hard to chill under 80 and my garage is hot as balls.
IPA for sure. For my Baltic Porter, I used Lutra. Lutra (liquid) is very clean.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:30 AM

$6 at my semi-lhbs.

You really want to underpitch.  Some will only used a tablespoon of slurry.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:32 AM

You really want to underpitch.  Some will only used a tablespoon of slurry.

WOW!  normally I would pitch about a pint of semi-compacted slurry!

#19 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22144 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:27 PM

After that shipping tho. It's okay. If it's really one pack for 10 gallons I don't mind $6 at all. Very reasonable.

I need to head over there for some castle chocolate malt anyway. I'm kind of wanting to try this stuff in a few things.

Obvious options seen like IPA and the Baltic Porter. What are your favorite styles for this stuff?

When I order from RiteBrew, I place large orders to make the most of it and get discounts ($10 off shipping over $100). Grain is very reasonable if you keep it in the 40# range.
I sometimes add and subtract items to find the sweet spot.

#20 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22144 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:37 PM

Some is on the way - dry. Any tips? Ambient in the brew area is 70 - 73df depending on the season. Will this work if I pitch into 90df wort?

I used Voss a month or so ago. It wasn't too hot yet so I pitched at 90, put on the brew belt and a sweatshirt around the fermenter, and it maintained between 94-97. Pretty much finished fermentation in less than 48 hours from pitching. Iirc, OG was around 1.068 and finished around 1.007. From what I read, Kveiks seem to favor stronger worts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users