#41 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11554 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:46 PM

Oh, I thought they were all coming out at the same time. Cool. That thing will be amazing.

What kind of monitor?

4k? Something like this would be awesome:
https://www.amazon.c...la-570612944153

#42 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:55 PM

Just a 27"er but I've got a 65" 4K TV in the next room

#43 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 03:25 PM

I'm interested in vr later this year.

Are you waiting for a 3000-series card next month? The 3070 might be the way to go. As a point of reference, my 2070 super gives about 50 fps (obviously not in big cities) at 3440x1440 with most of the settings pretty high. Definitely don't need higher fps than that, but 4k would drop below 30 occasionally.

3080 is the best price/performance card. Obviously it’s pricy though. 3070 seems a great value.

I’m looking for one of the 3080 Asus ROG cards.

Edited by dagomike, 06 September 2020 - 03:25 PM.

#44 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:23 PM

so far my 3080 is handling this just fine on Ultra settings (1920x1080 res)

#45 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11554 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:20 PM

My 2070s is getting 50s fps at 3440x1440 with most of the settings on ultra. Hook it up to your 4k TV! Are you thinking of vr?

#46 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7781 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

I just placed an order for a full flight sim control pack from sportys.

Honeycomb flight yoke
Logitech throttle
Logitech rudder

Target deliver by February

But I expect it will be earlier than that.

#47 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

Lol... may be some bugs to be worked out still.

Set myself up a flight from Boulder Municipal to Cheyenne. Cruising along at 8k feet... About 3 miles south of Fort Collins I switched on the AI copilot so I could take a break from steering.

Copilot immediately does a barrel roll followed by a forward loop and then spirals out of control into the ground... whoops

#48 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:23 PM

I figured out GPS navigation and approach. I knew IFR back in the day. This is pretty slick if the plane has the radio.

#49 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:40 PM

This was somewhat useful

https://www.gamesrad...ner-guide-tips/

Note: this article mentions the incorrect way to speed up time, you need to use CTRL apparently. More info here

https://www.eurogame...esired location.

#50 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:41 PM

Free charts

https://skyvector.com/

#51 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:51 PM

Rather than move the PC into the TV room (the PC room is too small for a 65er), today I ordered a 43" 4k TV for the pc room. I was tempted to buy a big ol curved monitor but that's just too much money to spend this month.

#52 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11554 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:24 AM

That's what I started with. Dicked around a bunch trying to get settings correct. Make sure you have the correct type of hdmi cable - to push 4k fast enough actually isn't a given.

Finally got it working OK; there are a bunch of pieces of info online that helped, and a bunch that didn't.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:29 AM

That's what I started with. Dicked around a bunch trying to get settings correct. Make sure you have the correct type of hdmi cable - to push 4k fast enough actually isn't a given.

Finally got it working OK; there are a bunch of pieces of info online that helped, and a bunch that didn't.

I wasn't aware the cables varied that much.  what is the physical difference?

#54 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:34 AM

The RNAV/GPS seems to work great for approach headings. It doesn't seem to work right for altitude. The glide path seems to only kick on the last few miles, which makes it kind of pointless. A few times it didn't come on at all. RNAV glide path is new for me, so I struggled trying to figure out if it was me or bugs. Reading it seems to be bugs and incomplete Garmin implementation. I think it shouldn't work like that.

ILS seems to work right. What's worked for me with good results is to use RNAV/GPS to navigate to the destination and plug in the approach profile. I then plug in the LOC frequency as NAV1. I manage my altitude to per the landing plate so when I make the final turn I'm at the right altitude to catch the glide slope. Being a little low seems to work by easing into it vs scratching your head on whether it's going to catch the slope. (Minimum alt is just a suggestion, right???) Then flip the computer over to NAV1 radio and let it do its thing using ILS. Sometimes I don't have to touch the stick if I manage airspeed OK.

This thing seems more geared toward VFR than technical IFR/GPS flying. It's pretty, even with my lower end card (NEEDZA 3080). Hopefully it gets better. The perfect approach is very satisfying. I might checkout X-Plane again now that I have the sim bug again.

The AP gets a little glitchy for me. One time it just did not want to fly level. I'm looking all over seeing if something went screwy, but I think it just lost it mind. I think if you change sim rate/time it gets crazy. Restarted the sim.

The in-game pause is hilarious. It crashes the plane while paused. One time I used it on approach to double check everything. Everything was paused, but the altitude kept going down. Unpaused and it freaked out and put me in the ground. LOL

#55 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:44 AM

Oh, also the air traffic control seems to serve no point. I get not direction or guidance. It's basically busy work/background noise. Maybe I'm missing something. I just let the AI handle it.

I still might try navigating by radio/VOR. Maybe that's were ATC does something. I used to be able to do that and that was kind of fun. Today I guess it's sort of like calling someone on a HAM radio vs Zoom. GPS feels kind of like cheating, but flying to waypoints can get tedious. It still is kind of fun when something is where it should be when you get there.

#56 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11554 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

I wasn't aware the cables varied that much. what is the physical difference?

I don't know for sure. But a cheap, old cable I had literally wouldn't work at 60hz. Got a new high-speed one from Amazon for like $12 and it was fine. Needs to be hdmi 2.0 compatible.

I guess the older ones had a lower max bandwidth that isn't quite up to the task. Maybe different wire size or shielding?

#57 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31533 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:35 PM

I have downloaded it three times from the Xbox game pass app as it was free. Every time I can play it once, then when I try to get back into the game it tell me to insert the disc. Freakin annoying.

#58 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:28 PM

I don't know for sure. But a cheap, old cable I had literally wouldn't work at 60hz. Got a new high-speed one from Amazon for like $12 and it was fine. Needs to be hdmi 2.0 compatible.

I guess the older ones had a lower max bandwidth that isn't quite up to the task. Maybe different wire size or shielding?

I probably only have more modern cables.  My first HD TV was right at the time when plasma TVs were being phased out of production.  I got a pretty hot deal on a really nice panasonic 1080p.  input lag was horrible but otherwise a really nice set for movie and stuff.

#59 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31533 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:58 PM

Alright, I figured out my issue. Apparently your Xbox account has to be the same as your windows store account. Lame.

Installed massive 120gb update, and did my first fly. Short jaunt from Oakland ca, to San Francisco. Just wanted a short flight to do a take off and landing. Takeoff was pretty good, landing was an abomination! Lol

It was fun, but I have a lot to learn. I really have no clue what I'm doing. Hehe

I have a thrustmaster hotas X. The stick works well, bit the throttle need to be lived or something as it feels a little sticky and not smooth.

Performance was pretty good. I think I need to upgrade my RAM from 16 to 32 gb. Ot would stutter every now and then. Could also be my video card as it is just a 2070 super. I'll have to fart around with the settings to dial it in.

#60 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:13 PM

20200923-141003.jpg

:frank:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users