130 replies to this topic

#21 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

I love simulators, but no PC for gaming. It seems this will come out for XBox, but doesn’t seems clear.

#22 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59212 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:22 AM

I love simulators, but no PC for gaming. It seems this will come out for XBox, but doesn’t seems clear.

Why don't you get some money and then get a gaming PC?  Can't you sell your body or something? Traffick some drugs? Anyone with a mouth and an anus can mule. Fuckin, you can mule in a persistent vegetative state. America is the land of opportunity! With a $10 cooler and some gas in the tank, you could crowd source black market organs. Create an app and call it donUBor. You'll know who is supposed to get those eyes, never miss a delivery!

Then it's a $60 buy-in for the game.  Three measely hours on a busted mattress for thousands of hours of gameplay.

#23 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19061 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:30 AM

Would an x-box version include keyboard support for the game? Seems you need a keyboard for the simulation aspect with all the controls.

#24 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:20 PM

Other than for work, I basically don’t even tough a computer anymore. My laptop is like 7 years old. While it would be fun, feels kind of hard to justify 2K or whatever for something dedicated to games. 

Who’s an expert on building gaming machines? I’m suspicious of websites with shopping lists that are probably influenced by affiliate links.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 August 2020 - 03:26 AM

Other than for work, I basically don’t even tough a computer anymore. My laptop is like 7 years old. While it would be fun, feels kind of hard to justify 2K or whatever for something dedicated to games.

Who’s an expert on building gaming machines? I’m suspicious of websites with shopping lists that are probably influenced by affiliate links.

Have you ever built a PC before? I don't suspect the general principles have changed since I last built one which I think was about 9 or 10 years ago.

#26 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:32 PM

Have you ever built a PC before? I don't suspect the general principles have changed since I last built one which I think was about 9 or 10 years ago.

Yeah, quite a while ago. I’m getting a crash course on the latest in components. 

#27 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111821 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:36 PM

I feel like it's gotten easier over time. RAM seats easier. CPU sockets are much smoother. Etc.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:49 AM

I feel like it's gotten easier over time. RAM seats easier. CPU sockets are much smoother. Etc.

Last time I built you could buy a mobo with cpu and maybe ram already installed if you wanted to. Takes the guesswork out if you are worried you'll pick incompatible parts. Really it's pretty easy though. I usually just pick what processor I want and that gives me chip set options and that narrows things down enough that I can start figuring it out pretty quick.

#29 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:51 AM

I’m more concerned about things like the time the cooler was too big and the memory fins were too tall to fit together. Gatdamnit!

But also, not buying crap that won’t really give me the bang for the buck for my usage. Spending an extra $500 on combined components that will give you 10% performance bump isn’t worth it. 

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:56 AM

I’m more concerned about things like the time the cooler was too big and the memory fins were too tall to fit together. Gatdamnit!

But also, not buying crap that won’t really give me the bang for the buck for my usage. Spending an extra $500 on combined components that will give you 10% performance bump isn’t worth it. 

I used to use tomshardware a lot to check out benchmarks on different stuff.  they also tend to do regular articles on different rig builds with different price points.  those could possibly offer a good starting point.  for gaming I think one of your biggest decisions in terms of dollar per performance is going to be on the GPU.

Edited by Mando, 24 August 2020 - 09:57 AM.

#31 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59212 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:27 AM

pcpartpicker was helpful to me. It'll identify conflicts in terms of spacing and power reqs.  First time around it was all Tomshardware and some in-depth looks at measurements. I also overbuilt.  Giant case, huge mobo. 

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:05 PM

pcpartpicker was helpful to me. It'll identify conflicts in terms of spacing and power reqs.  First time around it was all Tomshardware and some in-depth looks at measurements. I also overbuilt.  Giant case, huge mobo. 

I don't think I knew about pcpartpicker last go around.  probably wouldn't have helped a lot.

#33 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:18 PM

Yeah, I’ve got a few builds in pcpartspicker. It’s a little crazy right now with availability. Stuff keeps changing. 

#34 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43068 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:11 AM

So, after take-off, what do you do?  Can you get up and walk around the cabin? Can you depressurize the cabin? Are their screams muffled in the lower atmospheric pressure?

Not so  mile high club ;)

Edited by Bevis Christ, 27 August 2020 - 10:11 AM.

#35 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11655 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 05 September 2020 - 08:46 PM

Found an app a guy built that does face tracking using your phone. Hooked it up tonight. Awesome. Look any direction and it moves the scree. Look down and move your head forward and it zooms to your gauges. Sit up higher and you can see out the window better.

Traded in the 4k TV for a 1440 curved ultrawide display. Like it better.

#36 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19208 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

Flight stick you can actually buy now?

#37 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11655 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:32 PM

I dunno. I got a refurbed ch eclipse yoke (integrated rudder - may purchase actual pedals) a couple of weeks before the release. I don't think it would be much fun to play with a mouse or keyboard.

#38 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111821 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:40 PM

As soon as the new rig is up and running this is high on my list.... can't wait

#39 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11655 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:51 PM

I'm interested in vr later this year.

Are you waiting for a 3000-series card next month? The 3070 might be the way to go. As a point of reference, my 2070 super gives about 50 fps (obviously not in big cities) at 3440x1440 with most of the settings pretty high. Definitely don't need higher fps than that, but 4k would drop below 30 occasionally.

#40 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111821 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

I'm interested in vr later this year.

Are you waiting for a 3000-series card next month? The 3070 might be the way to go. As a point of reference, my 2070 super gives about 50 fps (obviously not in big cities) at 3440x1440 with most of the settings pretty high. Definitely don't need higher fps than that, but 4k would drop below 30 occasionally.

I've been going back and forth and I think I've settled on the 3080. More so for raytracing performance than gaming, the extra CUDA cores are nice. Don't wanna blow $1500 and don't want to wait for October so mid-tier it is :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users