#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 April 2020 - 05:46 AM

Whenever I use lactic things never quite go as predicted for me.  Initially the mash pH was really low (like 4.7) so I added in a little bit of baking soda and way over did it for probably 5 minutes, 10 minutes max.  I'm guessing the pH was probably somewhere around 6.  mash temp is 153-154F.  I added some more lactic and got it back down to 5.3.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:19 PM

Martin has said that it takes at least 20 min. into the mash before you get a stable pH reading, and it can keep changing even after that.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:38 PM

Martin has said that it takes at least 20 min. into the mash before you get a stable pH reading, and it can keep changing even after that.

how much volatility during that time?  has anyone graphed it?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:46 PM

There was a looong thread on HBT about when to take measurements. Martin, AJ Delange and others joined in and made me realize there is no right time to take a measurement... Lol. Lots of arguing too. I think I posted on here asking when everyone takes their measurements after that thread.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

There was a looong thread on HBT about when to take measurements. Martin, AJ Delange and others joined in and made me realize there is no right time to take a measurement... Lol. Lots of arguing too. I think I posted on here asking when everyone takes their measurements after that thread.

I take it around 5 mins in.  I figured if it's been wrong for a long time and I haven't fixed it that's not good.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:06 PM

I have moved to 20 minutes but I take it but do not bother to re-adjust. I just note it for next time.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:22 PM

I've been slacking and not taken it lately. I got to the point that I knew it would be fine based on bru'n water and past experience. But I guess I could try at 20 minutes to see what the difference is.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:33 PM

15 minutes for me. Obviously you are all doing it wrong! ;)

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:50 AM

I really should probably send my water to ward labs.  I've been basing my bru'n water spreadsheet inputs on old water reports from the city.  if I have city water is that generally pretty consistent?  I don't want to have to get my water tested multiple times a year.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:51 AM

Easier to search on a pc not my phone.  Here is the old post from 8-2018  https://brews-bros.c...-you-measure-ph

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 April 2020 - 04:04 AM

Easier to search on a pc not my phone.  Here is the old post from 8-2018  https://brews-bros.c...-you-measure-ph

yeah - my pH was probably over 6 for a short period of time.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 April 2020 - 12:19 PM

I take it around 5 mins in.  I figured if it's been wrong for a long time and I haven't fixed it that's not good.

too soon...wait at least 15

I've been slacking and not taken it lately. I got to the point that I knew it would be fine based on bru'n water and past experience. But I guess I could try at 20 minutes to see what the difference is.

I'm the same. My water never changes and I make pretty the same recipes over and over.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:38 PM

I typically take my temp and ph at about 15 after the grain has had time to absorb the liquid and things settle down.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:14 PM

Does anyone have any information about how much municipal water typically changes throughout the year? I'm pretty sure my water comes from a lake nearby.

Edited by Mando, 30 April 2020 - 02:14 PM.

#15 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:11 AM

Does anyone have any information about how much municipal water typically changes throughout the year? I'm pretty sure my water comes from a lake nearby.

I would guess there may be some change given that lakes turnover depending on current weather extremes. Maybe mixes up different localized concentrations of ions. We get our water from Lake Ontario and I swear the water department uses more chlorine at different times of the year based on how itchy my skin is or isn't...

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

It depends on exactly where you are.  Some of them (like Drew's in Pasadena) have huge changes.  Others very liittle.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:20 PM

It depends on exactly where you are.  Some of them (like Drew's in Pasadena) have huge changes.  Others very liittle.

how does he deal with that?

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:57 PM

how does he deal with that?

he uses distilled or RO water.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

he uses distilled or RO water.

Glad I don't appear to have to do that.

#20 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:17 AM

Glad I don't appear to have to do that.

Yeah, you're fortunate.   I've lived in areas where I had to do nothing to my tap water, but now have to use only RO.   My house water has a total alkalinity of almost 400.  Yuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users